Short Luteal Phase & B6 – Help/Advice please

marge

Reaction score
Hi

I came of the BCP in July 07 and I’ve also been charting since then too but only temping for the last 2 months and it looks like I have a short luteal phase of about 9 days, however I normally start spotting at about 7 DPO.

Since I came off BCP my cycles got back to normal straight away and average about 25 days, so on the shorter side.

What I’m interested to know is has anyone got pregnant or knows anyone that got pregnant with a short luteal phase? I’ve read that implantation usually occurs between days 7 – 12 so even if I have conceived then there is little chance of it sticking.

I have also read that B6 can help lengthen the luteal phase so I started to take this on Sat (100mg I think it is) ) which was the 1st day of my next cycle.

Thanks in advance!

:D

Hi there :wave:

Yes I have a short leautal phase of about 11-12 days, normally 11. I have just got my BFP, but I've also been taking Pregnacare vitamins which I believe contain vitimin B6. I've heard B6 is good at lengthening your Leautal Phase. Good Luck hun.

xx

Hi clairedoran :wave:

Congratulations on your BFP! :cheer:

Thanks for confirming it is possible!!

I wonder can you take to much B6?

I was taking Folic Acid then switched to ASDA's pregnancy tablets cause they had Folic Acid as well as lots of vitamins inc.b6 and now I'm taking them aswell as the B6.

marge said:
Hi clairedoran :wave:

Congratulations on your BFP! :cheer:

Thanks for confirming it is possible!!

I wonder can you take to much B6?

I was taking Folic Acid then switched to ASDA's pregnancy tablets cause they had Folic Acid as well as lots of vitamins inc.b6 and now I'm taking them aswell as the B6.

Does it have a RDA (recommended daily allowance)? You will know then if you are taking to much. Also have a word with your GP, they may have better advice. Good luck!

xx

Hi,

Spooky, this is my concern at the moment too and I've also started taking vitamin B6, however I'm only taking a very low dose just one 10mg a day. Not sure that will make any difference. You get some from your diet too.

I've read lots of good things from people lengthening their LP by taking B6 but for some it's not made any difference and it's a case of increasing the amount you take each month until you start to see a change in your LP (or not).

There have been reports of side affects if taking a high dosage. However, I'm not sure what is classed as a high dosage.

I have IBS so can't take pregnacare tablets which is a shame as they have all the essentials in them for conception.

If you are taking both pre-natal tablets and your B6, I wouldn't increase it any higher and see if it makes a difference for you this month.

Also if you look at Fertility Friend, you can search their chart gallery for pregnancy and short LP. There are lots of people who do manage to get pregnant with a short LP.

I normally start spotting at about 10DPO, however the last couple of cycles my LP has been 13DPO but with several days of spotting prior to that.

I'm off to the docs in the morning about it, I'll ask about the B6 and let you know what she says :)

clairedoran - the RDA on the Pregnancy tablets says 500% (??) so none the wiser really. I think there is only 10mg of B6 in these tablets so combined with the 100mg that may be ok??

Bagpuss17 - at least I have someone to share this with then :? !! I'll look forward to hearing what the doc has to say, I'd better check the mg's when I get home, make sure I'm not overdosing!!

I looked on Fertility Friends and have found quite a few people who have managed to conceive so there is hope for us!!

Its strange but this month I think I may have conceived but it didnt manage to stick, I had sore boobs and some foods tasted strange (never had these symptoms before) about 7 days after Oing (5th) and then started to spot (12th) had a very light period over the weekend :( so not really sure what has happened?

Have you done a pregnancy test? It would be worth doing one just to incase it's a chemical pregnancy.

Have you discussed with your doc about having a short LP? They could do some blood tests for you. It's something that can easily be fixed for most women with some form of medication or another.

Are you trying for your first baby?

I have an 18 month old, I remember when I was trying with him being concerned about having a short LP. Mine is classed as being the shorter side of normal being at 10/11 days usually.

I took evening primrose oil capsules the month I got pg with my son. They're supposed to help with progesterone deficiency. You take them up to you ovulate.

Tried them for 2 cycles in Sept/Oct and had delayed ovulation (cd 28/29) and was very ill with IBS pains. Convinced it was related to the evening primrose oil capsules. Stopped taking them and my cycle went back to normal with a longer LP but spotting for several days :?

Yeah I did a test on Thursday and it was a BFN.

I've not spoken to the docs about it as I've only just sort of realised my luteal phase is short. When I spoke to the doc about a month ago about TTC he was kind of like 'dont worry about anything until you have been trying for a year'.

I think I might go back and see a female doc, for some reason I feel they may be more understanding.

Yes we're trying for our 1st baby

I'll carry on with the B6 and see what happens this cycle

Well I went to the docs and it was a complete waste of time.

Got a new female doctor, very junior and inexperienced.

She felt my tummy, didn't even take swabs and kept looking in books.

Not very confidence inspiring. Said it's nothing to worry about and is probably related to my cycles settling down after my son.

She didn't have a clue about the B6, just said to take the recommended daily allowance.

I'm going to go back in the New Year if I have the same thing happen again because I know it's not normal for me. Will make sure I see a different doctor.

Have you tried taking agnus castus? A lot of people have had good results with that for balancing out their cycles.

What a bummer for you! :wall:

I'll see what happens this month and if no improvment I'll book in for the docs. Then I'll let you know if I have better luck!

What is agnus castus? I imagine you can get it from the health food shop? I'll have a look tonight while I do my xmas shopping.

Thanks for letting me know how you got on :hug: and fingers crossed for a longer LP!

I'll do a bit of reading up and let you know If I find anything else that might help!!

It's a herbal tablet, you can buy it from boots or the pharmacy.

Have a good read about it first, for some it's worked a treat and for others it's not. I started taking it but decided against it and just let my body settle down by it's own accord.

I have a box going spare if you want to give it a try at no cost. PM me your address if you're interested.

:wall: :wall: regarding Docs. Really hoping for a spotting free cycle this month, or at least just the normal 1 day of it.

Thanks!

I've just PM'd you.

I'll have a read and I'll give it a go. At least its herbal - I'm a bit doubious about pumping drugs into my body but I dont mind herbal stuff so much.

With the spotting you dont know where you are! Its so annoying isnt it!!

Hi

I started taking B6 last cycle. My LP went from 11 days to 14 days. I was taking 100mg a day but cut back to 50mg.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Sookie, I don't think my 10mg a day will make any odds then :)

Will increase it next month if needs be

BTW, I read that while you can take too much B6 that would need to be a lot.Like 1000mg I think, to cause problems. The research I did on B6 and LPs ssaid to start with 50mg, if not a 14 day LP after that, go to 100, then continue upping if you have to to a max of 200mg per day.

Thanks sookie, thats a help.

I checked last night and combined I'm taking 110mg. 100mg B6 on its own and then the 10mg in the Prenancy Tablets (ASDA own but similar to Pregnacare I think - Folic acid etc) its comforting to know I'm probably not taking too much

It will be interesting to see if this helps this cycle or lets hope I just get a BFP early Jan!!

:wave: hi i just wanted to say that i have a short luteal phase sometimes not even making it to 10days, but this month i started using natural progesterone cream that you use after ov for 14 days, so i am now on 12dpo so it seems to be working :cheer:

Thats good news babydust, sounds like its done the trick (fingers crossed!) was that perscribed by the docs?

I also had some other news today that may shed some light on things. I had a blood test done on the 7th as I keep getting yeast infections (like every month) and is it turned out this was 2 days after I ovulated. I called the docs today for the results and they did 4 tests, 3 were ok but I have been told I need to go back and have my thyroid checked again in 6-8 weeks by another blood test.

I have just looked on the internet and found some thyroid problems are linked with a short luteal phase.

Unfortunately they could not tell me why I have to go back and what the results showed (I'm going to call tomorrow and ask to speak to a doc about it).

Has anyone else heard about a possible link?

I dont want to self diagnose myself but it will be interesting to see if there is a link

Hi,

Out of interest what were the other tests they did?

I have read on other forums that having thyroid problems can cause problems conceiving but haven't seen anything in particular to a short LP. That said I haven't looked into it deeply.

At least if it is your thyroid that's causing problems for you it should be able to be resolved with medication.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back