Luteal Phase length concern

Moofa

Reaction score
Hi

I got a really strong blue line on 5th Sept on my OPK so ovulation happened soon after. My AF showed up this morning 15th Sept (I have irregular cycles but this was a 28 day cycle).

That means my Luteal Phase was 9 or 10 days, which is short should I be worried? I'm 32 and the Dr tested my FSH levels back in March and said they were ok.

Last month my Luteal Phase was 9-10 days too.

Mx

Hi Moofa, I saw my doc Weds and asked him the same thing as mine have gone from 14 to 10/9. He said it's fine and not to worry. Easier said than done eh?! :roll:

Trudyscrumptious76 said:
Hi Moofa, I saw my doc Weds and asked him the same thing as mine have gone from 14 to 10/9. He said it's fine and not to worry. Easier said than done eh?! :roll:

:hug: :hug:

Yeah, just worried. I may go and get some Agnus Castus today to see if that helps.

I can't take anything hormonal like the pill or depro as it makes me depressed and really mess my AF up as in 3 weeks on 1 week off. :shock:

Do you think it will be ok to take Agnus Castus as it messes with the hormones, but is also a natural herb?

Mx

I don't know about Agnus Castus, but my counsellor (don't ask long story!! :roll: ) said that Evening primrose oil and vitamin B6 were good for it. Not looked into it yet. Taking a break from Pills and potions at the mo. Kept rattling when I walked! :rotfl: :rotfl:

Trudyscrumptious76 said:
I don't know about Agnus Castus, but my counsellor (don't ask long story!! :roll: ) said that Evening primrose oil and vitamin B6 were good for it. Not looked into it yet. Taking a break from Pills and potions at the mo. Kept rattling when I walked! :rotfl: :rotfl:

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Tell me about it. My DH brought me a box to put beside the bed, polite way of saying your messy put your stuff in here. I was tidying up the other day and looked in the box and there is my 85 antibiotics in case of UTI, Oasis sachets for UTI, thrush tablet, my other tablets for bladder spasms, I have a curved spine, my OPK sticks, pregnancy tests, and specimen bottles, I was like what the ...... :shock:

Hi, I think if I were you I would take a second opinion. I've always understood that the luteal phase needs to be 10 -11 days minimum. I don't think its a problem to get it sorted, so please don't worry about it, but yes, I do think you should it checked out.

Hi

Thanks.

I went and got so Agnus Castus tablets and will try that for 2 or 3 months and carry on and see if my luteal phase is 9-10 days long and if nothing happens and I don't concieve then I will go and see my GP and say I have been keeping an eye on it for 6 months and it isn't long enough :cry:

Hi there

Yes it is my understanding that short lutuel phases can be a problem because your uterus lining has already begun shedding for your period so if your egg get fertilised it does not have a chance to implant..... or something like this......

you should speak to your doc as they can give you medicine for this and this is defo a reason if you are having difficulty in concieving.

Okey Dokey - Good luck and let me know what happens with the Agnus Cactus! x x x x

Thanks everyone for the advice. A bit stressed over this but will give the Agnus Castus ago and see what happens cross fingers it works :hug: :hug:

Hi :wave:

I started Agnus Castus last month and my luteal phase lenghtened from 12 to 14 days so I think it helps.

Give it a try.

Sus x

Sus said:
Hi :wave:

I started Agnus Castus last month and my luteal phase lenghtened from 12 to 14 days so I think it helps.

Give it a try.

Sus x

Hi

This morning I decided to go and see the Dr (they have morning open sugery) about my luteal phase only being 9 days but she was flipping useless! She hadn't a clue and said I can't see why a 9 day luteal phase would cause a problem, so I had to explain and she said I will find out and write to you :roll:

She said at least you are ovalating. I told her about the Agnus Castus and she went into a long explanation about lack of clinical trials blah blah and getting pregnabt and taking herbs..... but I'm going to continue taking them as she seemed useless you guys seem to give more reassurance.

Mx

Hi

I forgot to say to the Dr that my AF which is usually 5-7 days was 3.5 days last month and was 3 days this month.

Do you think I should be worried?

Mx

I had a really odd LP - anything from 8-17 days! Fell this month after about 9 months of trying. I took Agnus Castus and this sorted my cycle out for a few months but i found if i missed just one day my cycles would be different.

tots hope said:
I had a really odd LP - anything from 8-17 days! Fell this month after about 9 months of trying. I took Agnus Castus and this sorted my cycle out for a few months but i found if i missed just one day my cycles would be different.

Hi

I started taking it Saturday but missed 1 last night just in case the Dr did give me anything, but will continue today (taking 2x per day).

I really apprieciate your help guys, I feel so down after the useless Dr visit this morning and keep trying not to cry at my desk. My boss thinks I went due to painful periods as they don't know I'm TTC and lately people keep dropping hints and I feel like saying go away my LP is messed up and is causing probs.

Sorry rant over

How long after taking Agnus Castus did you fall pregnant?

Mxxxxx

I think the fact your Dr said 'at least you are ovulating' in regard to your luteal legnth just shows how mis-informed she is!

Yes, it is a good thing you are ovulating, but if you do have a short luteal phase then even if an egg gets fertilized it won't have time to embed properly as your period starts that little bit too early.

I generally find GPs a complete waste of time when it comes to fertility, they really don't have a clue. I found the book 'Taking Charge of Your Fertility' by Toni Wheschler an absolute godsend and it helped me to achieve pregnancy within a couple of cycles. Its also got a tear out section at the back specifically to give to your Dr (as the book recognises that most Dr's are rubbish when it comes to fertility).

Personally I would go and see another GP who knows what they are talking about!!!!

I've just dug my book out and here's some info

Luteal Phase Problems
The luteal phase is the phase following ovulation when progesterone is released - and it is critical since this is the time when the fertiliszed egg implants in the uterus. Its normal length is 12- 16 days. There are basically 3 different types of problem that can occur...

1. The luteal phase is too short, which means the uterine lining begins to shed in the form of menstration before the fertilized egg has had a chance to implant. This condition is easy to detect through charting (anything under 10 days is considered a problem, but for some women, 10 - 11 days may still be considered borderline).

2. The luteal phase appears to be normal length, but the amount of progesterone is not optimal to produce an ideal environment for implantation.

3. The luteal phase appears normal, but the progesterone starts to drop dramatically just a week or so after ovulation, often causing pre menstrual spotting. Again, the progesterone is not high enough to produce an ideal uterine environment for implantation.

The chapter then goes on to describe remedies for Luteal phase problems - all which seem pretty easy to fix.

Hope this helps.

Hi

Thanks

My normal GP wasn't in and he is really good. What I will do is see what she writes to me (she was going to ring my house but nobody is in, and I can't have her ring my work) and see how the Agnus stuff works in a month. I will then book an appointment with my usual GP (he is on holiday this week) if my AF shows up and luteal phase doesn't change next month.

I will look into the book, thanks for the advice.

:hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back