Selective C-Sections?

They wont do a section unless there are medical reasons or baby is breech, Everyones births are completely different and you might have a wonderful one.
My first however was very traumatic and after 13 hrs it ended in an emergency c-section, that i was put asleep for, the recovery i didnt have a problem with but i was so scared i didnt want anymore children. when i fell pregnant for the second time i told my midwife there was no way i was giving birth naturally and wanted a section all the way, and got what i wanted, my section went very well, my recovery was alot quicker 2nd time round and had no problems what so ever, the better "birth" out the two and because of that im now having the 3rd!

My best friend has had 3 normal births with no problems and is now trying for her 4th...

Once your in labour, you go with the flow and what your body tells you to do, you could have a really positive birthing experience, whats turning you off a natural birth ? apart from the pushing bit itself?

Im sure you can't choose to have a c-section unless there is a medically need. I have a bicornuate uterus and when I saw the consultant she said no need for a c-section unless baby is breech and even then they will have a go at turning the baby a few times.
I have heard of women who wanted a c-section and gone down the physciatric route, but that is long winded with no guarantee you will get a c-section, plus you then have a physciatric record.

I thought with my uterusI would have to have a c-section so sort of resigned myself to it, now I know I don't have to have one (unless necessary) Im happy, friends have had c-sections and been in agony for weeks. I can't deal with that, I want to look after my baby myself , plus where I live i need to drive lol

Also, I really think you need to talk to someone about how you feel, about this pregnancy not just birth , form the feelings im getting from your other posts. You can get pregnancy depression.

Last edited:
i cant see any reasons why anybody would opt for a c section with 1 being needed personally i have never had 1 and i hope i never ever have to experience having 1 i have given birth naturally on all of mine and i loved the experience each time yes it hurt but anything worth having is not easy to get if that make sence, im sure if you ask someone who has no choice but to have a c section they would do in the natural way in a heart beat if they could

I can only echo wot every1 else said...I had 2 natural deliveries,the 1st wiv pethidine and gas and air and the 2nd wiv just gas and air,my 3rd was an emergency c section and I've always said I can't understand how ppl choose to have a section..I was stuck in hospital,unable to move properly for days and then got tired doin the most simple things.

As far as I was aware they won't do a section unless medically necessary,a lot of it's due to funding but it's a major operation for something that most women can do naturally xxx

I have only had sections and no labour! So can't help on the labour front, and sure it is also a really hard way to do it, but yet after 3 sections and another on the way - I would choose the chance to try natural labour anyday. I can't explain the feelings simular to those tiny shared with us above, about being robbed of the natural way to do it. I had two out of three ebd up in Special care due to issues from being born by section, never managed to breastfeed as harder to establish this after sections, and never had skin to skin contact or baby laid on me straight after birth, oh never has cut the cord, etc I could go on.

I have got over this now, as it's the only way it works for me due to prev surgery I had no choice. If you end up with section, then ok, but please I would recomend never choosing this, try it, keep an open mind and see how you go. Who knows you may be a superstar and handle it really well.

How about parent , NCT classes to help you find out more about labour and take away some of the fears by knowing more and you will feel more prepared and informed.

Last edited:
all i can suggest is believe in yourself believe that your body can do it and most of all listen to your body and listen to your midwife and when your midwife says stop pushing listen as this will prevent a tear and when she says push then push has hard as you can also dont hold your breath it hurts more and the baby and you get less oxygen....YOU CAN DO IT :) and you will get to spend those precious early moments with you baby instead of him/her being whisked away and spend the weeks being able to care for you baby without being in pain

Hon, our bodies were built to do this - believe me- I felt the same but ended up giving birth with no pain relief at all and was up walking 15 mins after and having a shower etc... I'm not going to say it wasn't painful but honestly, if I didn't have my bub as proof I'd swear I never gave birth at all!

I had a natural birth with my daughter and it was an amazing experience. You will find you can cope alot better than you give yourself credit for. After the birth I was able to walk around without too much discomfort and felt I was able to mother her straight away.

A lady opposite me had a section and she mostly sat in her chair the whole time and needed her baby passed over to her everytime he cried. She couldn't walk to the toilet so she had to have the tube etc. She spent 3 nights in hospital and I was out the next day. I just think its alot better for your body and recovery is far quicker and safer.

Try not to worry about the birth, when its over, it will be the most amazing experience and you will be so proud of what you have just achieved :) Once you have a natural birth, you probably will never consider a section.

I personally would never choose another section. The healing time is so long. Josh was born via emergency section after he got stuck when pushing and erratic h.beat. Like has been said you can't twist or bend or move properly. All you want to do is hold the LO when born and they have to be lifted to you, when you start to heal your concious of how you move, you feel weak and I struggled to b.feed as my body didn't naturally kick start certain hormones (unless you want an issue not a major concern). Evem now 5 and half weeks on my scar still hurts and is sometimes awkward to hold josh. Again too much exercise even just walking is painful. And ill NEVER forget the sickening feeling I had when I felt him being lifted out. It made me feel sick. In all honesty I'm scared of having VBAC next time round however REALLY don't want another sectuon unless of course ness.... ,ot to sound pushy again as its your choice ultimately, however I would suggest not ruling out all other alternatives like hypno-birthing courses, talk to your midwife an epidural and you will fwwl NOTHING (what you have in a section however inot quite as immediate feeling to a spinal but still fast acting) and you still get to deliver natirally!!!!! Rule out all other alternatives first!! TBH the drugs I used were wonderful for me so try not jump to $ajor surgeory see how you get on first xx

I had an emergency c section with my daughter in 2007 after over 20 hours of labour and tbh by that stage I was relieved that they took me down to theatre so the nightmare could end! I was upset that my labour ended the way it did as I was adamant I wanted it to be a totally natural experience with no pain relief etc but once I was in established labour I totally changed my mind. Grace's CTG trace was abnormal so I was taken down to theatre to get her delivered ASAP, at that stage all I wanted was my little baby safely in my arms - nothing else mattered, and I would endure that pain a million times over for her. I had a condition diagnosed in 2008, which I had at the time when I had Grace, but it had not been diagnosed at that stage which would cause issues during a normal delivery and would mean further operations afterwards. This time after a long chat with several consultants and a consultant midwife we have agreed it would be safer for me to have an Elective C Section this time around. I have to say my experience of a c section has been largely a positive one, I recovered quickly and was able to hold and feed my baby. It took a little longer for my milk to come in fully, but I had lots of help with this in hospital. I was given lots of support, but very much left to my own devices with my baby as they could see I was able. I bathed and changed baby and was up on my feet by the end of the same day. I think different people respond in different ways to surgery but all in all I would most certainly never choose without good reason to have major surgery. I am glad I have experienced labour and would of much preferred to have had my baby in the way our bodies are meant but unfortunately it wasn't meant to be.

As some of the other girls have said, there are some brilliant drugs available also if you feel the pain is getting too much, I found that the epidural was fab for pain relief - really does help. I think as we all approach labour especially for the first time, nerves and doubt kick in and we question our bodies ability to do its job.

I don't think any NHS hospital will book you straight in for a section without a reason why a normal delivery would not be achievable. I would say educate yourself as much as you can about the whole birthing process and speak to a good midwife or consultant midwife to talk through your concerns. Antenatal classes are also really useful and can help put your mind at rest about the whole thing.

I dont think that there is anything wrong it but i had a planned section on Sat there and the experiance was horrendous!! I had to be delivered early as the baby wasnt growing properly went in to theatre and the operation started at 12.28pm and the baby delivered at 12.38pm up til the point where the baby was born I felt tugging and pulling after the placenta was pulled out I felt EVERYTHING, my spinal wore off, I really didnt want Peter to leave me so kept saying to them not to put me to sleep, so they gave me gas and air in the strongest amount allowed in hospitals and I could still feel the pain so they had to put me to sleep in the end.

I woke up in High dependancy as I lost over 3 pints of blood and had damaged the tissue in my arm where the drip had been cause I was in so much pain I was moving my arm about and had almost ripped the drip out, my blood pressure shot up to 180/120. my partner was great but he said it was a terrible experiance

It has made me very scared of any pain at all and I usually managed pain well, and if I ever get pregnant again and need a section I will be getting a general anesthetic I would never go through it again

I had a natural delivery with my 1st daughter with no pain relief and was in labour for only and hour and 18mins

I would honestly say natural delivery is a much nicer experiance and you recover quicker xx

gosh claire that sounds realy traumatic. so glad you got through it all and all 3 of you are safe and sound now :hug:

yeah it was but baby is here and safe so worth it in the end, just never again!!! xx

yeah it was but baby is here and safe so worth it in the end, just never again!!! xx

Blimey claire that really does sound like a terrible experiance of section, did they give you blood transfusions to replace your lost blood?

they kept going on and on about me having one but I kept saying no, felt like crap and weak til yest and the iron tablets seem to be helping xx

they kept going on and on about me having one but I kept saying no, felt like crap and weak til yest and the iron tablets seem to be helping xx

Glad your picking up then, your'll want to sleep alot too otherwise , so pack that iron down you and take it easy X

I'm actually getting scared reading all this.

lol dont be scared most people have a great experiance of having a section just mine turned out to be one of the bad ones but it got our baby here safe and as soon as I couldnt take the pain anymore I was put to sleep within seconds, it was just surreal wakening up in high dependancy xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back