Can you chose to have a c-section?

charlotteheys85

Reaction score
ok.. this is so stupid and i have no reason to say why really, but i'd prefer a c-section than natural birth..

i'm soo terrified of natutal birth, and i know everyone is, and i never thought i'd be so scred, but i have nightmares most nights about it. And would love it if you could opt for a c-section.

Is it possible? or wishful thinkin? xx

TBH im not sure hun BUT i do think that you only have a C-section IF Drs advise it i.e. if you cant have a natural birth/complications etc etc

im not 100% on that though so dont quote me on it! maybe ask your midwife?

i'm petrified of giving birth BUT not to the extent ofhaving nightmares about it - although i havent been thinking about it as it scares me too much :lol:

:hug:

charlotteheys85 said:
ok.. this is so stupid and i have no reason to say why really, but i'd prefer a c-section than natural birth..

i'm soo terrified of natutal birth, and i know everyone is, and i never thought i'd be so scred, but i have nightmares most nights about it. And would love it if you could opt for a c-section.

WISHFUL THINKING?!

I think not! My friends who've had Caesareans took far longer to recover than I did and they had much more difficulty with their milk supply... !!

I was totally petrified of vaginal birth (I started a thread in 3rd Tri with my fears) but actually really enjoyed birth in the end and was so proud of myself afterwards.

Oh and I think you can't choose to have a Caesarean but I might be wrong.

In America you can opt for Caesarian because of "private healthcare". Apparently on the NHS it is far too expensive to give C-Section as an option to us because natural birth is much much cheaper during and post birth.

I have known two of my friends have Caesarian and they took 3-4 months to recover. They lost sensation on the part of the cut, it was very very complicated recovery - not saying all C sections are complicated but natural birth is much speedier recovery and kinder to the body.

I am also petrified of natural birth, infact the last 3 days in our home has been regarding this only. DH is even joking he wil go in drunk because he has not got a clue how he will cope watching me in pain. I know we all get high pain thresholds the moment it all begins and nature kicks in with strength but thinking about it now we are both really scared - he more than me.

Try and say to yourself - it will all be over in 1-2 days max.

:hug: :hug:

thanks for the replys girls...

i know a c-section isnt an easy way out, and i know its really hard after etc..

i'm not quite sure what i thinks going to happen to me,

this sounds so strange, but i have nightmares about things, and on several occasions its happened..

ex crashing his car.. plane crashing.. OH losing job, things which would probably just happen, and my dreams are nothing but co-incedence.. but i keep having nightmares about bad things in birth, and its made me really worried...

end of day i know dr's wont let anything bad happen and will preform C-sec if need be, so i prob jus should rely on dr's oppions and stop being silly..

thanks for replys girls xx

A C-section is a major operation and the decision to have one should not be taken lightly.

I think you need to examine exactly what you are scared of in terms of a vaginal birth. I can understand being a bit scared of pushing something baby-sized through a gap that isn't baby sized but there are drugs available in order to help you cope with the pain. Not to mention the fact that thousands of women survive vaginal births every day.

I would suggest asking for counselling through your midwife or GP to work through your fears as I'm pretty sure you can only ask for an elective caesarean if you have a medical reason for it.

As the others have said I don't think you can choose to have one. I think the only way you can is if there is a risk to your health or LO's health. There might be people you can talk to such as councilors about your fears of birth, its worth asking your M/W or doctor about. You will be fine though hun, our bodies are made to have babies! And look at what you get at the end of it all!
:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Hi :wave:

I had an elective c section. I was so scared of giving birth I was ill thinking about it.

Luckily when I was referred to the consultant he recognised that I have the disorder where you are terrified of giving birth called tokophobia.

He agreed if I was diagnosed with this by the hospital pyscotherapist he would give me one. I went to see her and she agreed after only seeing me for 20 minutes so I got it.

Getting taken seriously is very difficult as everyone (except the consultant) tries to persuade you otherwise. It took weeks of visits to the hospital to get the ok and lots of bullying from very serious midwives (one had me in tears and went on for 1 hour!).

So if you do have tokophobia speak to your midwife.

Everyone will tell you how awful recovery is- I was discharged after 30 hours and walked out of the hospital. Two days later I went shopping in Tescos and then the next day the metrocentre for 2 hours so I suppose it depends from person to person.

Hope this helps to have a view from the other side, people really do think you just can't be bothered to give birth and don't appreciate how it can dominate your whole pregnancy.

its my worst nightmare to think of needing a c-section....we moved out to the US a few months ago, and its $3000 for a natural birth (not including complications or any drugs) and $3500 for a c-section, and your totally free to choose, they LOVE doing sections here.....it took me like a month of doctor interviewing to find a lady who is in favour of natural active birthing.

Im completly opposite, having a c section would be a let down for me... Unless obviously it was a must...

I think one of the main reasons you feel this way is because you have not overcome your fears of birth. If you convince yourself of something then it will be....

"Childbirth is painful and scary"

"I personally will not be able to handle the pain"
and so forth, the thoughts you have you need to deal with... (Only you know these...)

Find out what scares you, ways of coping with the pain (and i don't mean thinking about a menu of drugs to have, think more i will try and deal with the pain in my own way and if it is too painful for ME then I have choices, some ppl think it wasn't as bad as they thought, others think it was like hell and alot harder then they thought, no one is wrong here...).

Write a birth plan asap, this is YOUR birth no one elses see it as more of an experience then a means to an end to get your bubba out...

It is very scary, I used to be very scared, scared of the baby being too big, it getting stuck, the pain being too horendous to bare the list goes on... EVERYWOMEN is scared because you dont know how its going to be. Im not scared anymore, nervous yes very as i don't knoww what to expect... But im very excited too and you need to have that excitement too... :hug:

What you need to remember is childbirth is a very natural thing its what our bodies were made to do!! Your cervix dialates to push the baby down, and those painful contractions are a help not a hinder to meeting your lo... when you go to the hospital they will look after you... Even so run through other fears with your partner who will support you and get you through it. try to focus on what you are scared of...

I don't know if this helps but when I think of childbirth like a marathon, you work all these months to prepare for it, well prepare to win and do well, and then whilst you're running you focus mentally, you consistantly think positive even after hours of sweat and pain you block out by focusing on other things...

Fear nothing in life otherwise it will consume you and eat you up, find a way to deal with it... :hug: :hug: :hug:

I think you can :think: I've heard about "elective C-sections" so I would have thought so...

Have a chat with your MW hun! xx

I didn't choose my c-section, but I had already mentally prepared for it if things went wrong (he was breech hence the need!)

As you'll see from my story, things didn't go too easily! But that was due to other reasons, though at the time I was in theatre and reacting badly with BP dropping I did NOT feel good! I remember thinking, why would anyone choose this!

Recovery did take a while, and I felt helpless having Jack laying in a tub next to me crying but not being able to easily reach him, being strapped to monitors and catheter, meant having to ring a buzzer for a MW to come help us!

The theatre staff however were very helpful and calming and had a good team talking me through everything befoire and after, I wouldn't be afraid of another one.

Mildly said:
A C-section is a major operation and the decision to have one should not be taken lightly.

I think you need to examine exactly what you are scared of in terms of a vaginal birth. I can understand being a bit scared of pushing something baby-sized through a gap that isn't baby sized but there are drugs available in order to help you cope with the pain. Not to mention the fact that thousands of women survive vaginal births every day.

I would suggest asking for counselling through your midwife or GP to work through your fears as I'm pretty sure you can only ask for an elective caesarean if you have a medical reason for it.

I agree with Mildly!
I would try to find exactly why your so scared hun and try to over come them before trying to have a section!
A lot of women are petrified hun, though when labour comes closer, they cant wait! Maybe wait a few more weeks and if your still scared as you are then ask the mw for help! :hug: :hug: :hug:

charlotteheys85 said:

who isn't scared of a vaginal birth????? there are too many women opting for c sections. :roll:

dannii87 said:
I think you can :think: I've heard about "elective C-sections" so I would have thought so...

Have a chat with your MW hun! xx

Elective sections are normally offered to women who've had previous babies by section, bad tears or other traumas. They are not generally available to people who are scared by birth. Unless it's sever tokophobia as someone else mentioned.

There was a member here when I was pregnant (she's still around, Eveadel?) who felt exactly the same, and got agreement for a section. But she went into labour so spontaneously the only option was to birth naturally, and she had a lovely, positive experience. :D

I'm not meaning to belittle your feelings CH, but do think that your body and wonderful womanly spirit may surprise you :) :hug:

monxy your avatar has remoinded me of my husbands squrrel attack - do you remember? :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

budge said:
monxy your avatar has remoinded me of my husbands squrrel attack - do you remember? :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I do now :lol:

Give this lady a break Budge, she's scared! Hopefully she'll be able to work through her feelings. Do you remember Eveadel?

budge said:
who isn't scared of a vaginal birth????? there are too many women opting for c sections. :roll:
Awww Budge, noooo... She might have that phobia that someone mentioned. I don't think it's fair to be so quick to judge.

In my opinion... :hug: xx

kirstyxxx said:
Hi :wave:

I had an elective c section. I was so scared of giving birth I was ill thinking about it.

Luckily when I was referred to the consultant he recognised that I have the disorder where you are terrified of giving birth called tokophobia.

He agreed if I was diagnosed with this by the hospital pyscotherapist he would give me one. I went to see her and she agreed after only seeing me for 20 minutes so I got it.

Getting taken seriously is very difficult as everyone (except the consultant) tries to persuade you otherwise. It took weeks of visits to the hospital to get the ok and lots of bullying from very serious midwives (one had me in tears and went on for 1 hour!).

So if you do have tokophobia speak to your midwife.

Everyone will tell you how awful recovery is- I was discharged after 30 hours and walked out of the hospital. Two days later I went shopping in Tescos and then the next day the metrocentre for 2 hours so I suppose it depends from person to person.

Hope this helps to have a view from the other side, people really do think you just can't be bothered to give birth and don't appreciate how it can dominate your whole pregnancy.

Hiya, you make an interesting point however did they not discuss with you about ways of dealing with it???? (Just out of interest) Fears need to be overcome not covered up? Im sorry you had to go through that either way. Living with any type of phobia is not nice. :hug:

P.s i just wanted to add that no decision we make is the wrong or right one, we all make choices we feel are right for us and whilst we are there to advise and support (even if its against or for) it is ultimatly that persons right as a human to feel as they wish...
x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back