Second Hand Bottles

kittykitchn

Reaction score
I had planned on buying most things new, especially feeding equipment. I thought it seemed a bit iffy using second hand bottles, but I've found a large bundle of MAM bottles on Gumtree at a fantastic price.
Are second hand bottles are no go? Is it absolutely imperative that I need to buy new teats (which would cost a small fortune, so may put me off anyway price dependent) ?

Thank you!!

I think it depends on the bottles condition?

My best friend gave me a bag full of tommee tippee bottles - probably about 10. So I just took them. They were brand new condition as babies hadnt bitten them or anything.

Plus theyr usually sterilized, so keep well. I dont see an issue as long as the bottles have been properly kept. I dunno if Id actively buy ones second hand - I got mine from my best friend so didnt have an issue, but then - if the condition is good and its a huge saving why not?

Id buy them, if the teats look a bit funny you could always order in some teats separately.

xxxx

Last edited:
Dont think id personally use second hand bottles and most definately not teats..

I didnt even want to re use my DS1s bottles.
Plus teats over time get stretched and worn, they get used multiple times a day for months on end..

You really only need a handful of bottles so it shouldnt cost a huge deal for both bottles and next size teats.

Guess its a personal preference though.

It wouldn't bother me buying 2nd hand bottles especially if they were in good condition and a bargain. Just check the teata and if worn buy new ones x

I really wouldnt with the teats.

Its a bit like asking yourself would you use a 2nd hand dummy? They can be sterilsed.. But still, the thought is a bit gross to me!

If its mam ones u defo want have a browse on amazon.
I managed to get Dr browns bottles and sterilsers really cheap on there. They always have lighting deals and sales on, they may do over the next week or so with it being spring sales coming up x

I think its a personal choice..

Some dont like buying second hand prams, bedding, clothes etc some would. I myself wouldnt buy second hand clothes unless BNWT but loads have and would.

A dummy is relatively cheap in comparrison to a set of bottles and the teats are replaceable.

xxxx

I have terrible OCD and I just could not bring myself to get bottles or anything like that second hand. I dont know how I would be without my OCD but still think that it wouldnt be for me. I have seen some good bargains (I think they are anyway) on Ebay for sterilizing sets with bottles by Tommee Tippee, I can have a look if you want the link?

Are you planning the FF or just want some stuff in case you don't get on with breastfeeding? If it's the latter then a few good condition second hand bottles should be fine. If you plan to FF from the get go then I'd buy new (purely personal preference)

X

You can get MAM bottles in TK Maxx

I would use a 2nd hand bottle, but not the teats. I would look out for offers on Mam and Dr brown bottles online, maybe amazon or asda sometimes have good offers. x

No mam bottles are not just expensive teats that have to be replaced every so many weeks there's a rubber ring in there that needs replacing too once it starts wearing or leaking and you might not even like them and need dr Browns or a different brand once baby is here..

Go on Amazon, I bought a starter pack and it wasn't overly expensive at all also bought all my tears off there too xxx

Honestly, I don't see an issue with it. I read something a while back something to do with bottle brush bristles making marks and scratches in the lining of the plastic and bacteria can harbour in there. I'm honestly not sure exactly where I heard it, but that's what sterilizers are for IMO! I'm not too sure about the rubber valves needing replacing also, if you decide they would, then they're on the official MAM site for about £1 each. This isn't alot when you think about it, e.g. if there's 7 bottles, it will still potentially come up cheaper than buying brand new.

As for teats etc, I usually went up in sizes from Boots, as they sometimes have 3 for 2 offers on the teats. They're still not cheap, mind but I'm sure if you looked online you'd find some bargains on them. I've even seen them in original sealed packaging on ebay before, and if its sealed then surely it'd be fine?

MAM have a 96% acceptance rate (according to the packet) and we tried every bottle under the sun before LO stayed on MAM. I'd recommend MAM over other bottles e.g. Tommee Tippee etc as you can disassemble them. It meant any little crevices that can normally evade the bristles I was able to get into much easier. If the bottles are in good condition on ebay, honestly, each to their own. Sometimes saving money in one place means you can splash out in other areas, I'd say go for it! If it would really bother you, maybe open one pack of teats until you've tried baby on them and theyve took them, that way if you find you don't want them, you can always return or sell them? A close relative of mine also managed to both breastfeed and express, and her baby took the MAM better than any other she tried. xxx

Mumsylou, that happens with wear.. Milk tends to be grainy on the bottle and you can see it when it dries after washing.. it's best to remove it with a sponge and hot water and give it a good rub instead of relying on steriliser to get rid. In the teat and the ring it tends to dry up yellowy/orangey colour and again it's easily rubbed off under hot water.. With the rubber stuff I just used my fingers..

Other bottles do the same, they look foggy when not cleaned proper...

I turn my teats inside out and remove the ring rub away any residue and wash again.. I've not sterilised for 2,5 years or more..

If the bottles are in good condition you'd still have to replace teats and rings which would be around 7£ each bottle. Which would be any bottle and for that same money you can buy new ones which have the first size teat anyway.. You can probably find freebie bottles like mam ones in baby packs and see whether you like them first.. You'd have enough with maybe 2 small ones and 2-3 bigger ones..

Oh and the mam site charges about 5£ delivery so just to order 1£ rings on there (which need replacing after a while, trust me when the milk starts pouring out from below you'll understand why!!) is quite expensive imo... The teats these days are quite often on offer 2 for 6£ at asda same with their dummies.. Anywhere else it's about 5-6£ for a teat pack or dummy pack.

I didnt solely sterilize. Id steep in boiling soapy water, wash, rinse then sterilize.

Once he was over 6m I used my dishwasher which is fab for toys etc!! I put a whole ballpit in there when jackson vommed on them. Shower down in the bath and in the dishwasher lol.

xxxx

I didn't buy them in the end, just because I'm not sure on relying on MAM bottles solely. I've read a lot about babies not accepting any other bottle/teat/dummy if used to MAM.

However, this bundle was 24 bottles for £8. As nice as it would be to buy all new just because they're on offer, they're still pretty expensive

Of course, I do wash my bottles in boiling soapy water, rinse then sterilised! :lol: I was referring to something I read about people saying you're better not re-using bottles bought for first LO for the second before teat an valve replacement etc, due to tiny scratches in the plastic harbouring bacteria from the milk that you can't clean out, though I'm not sure exactly where I heard it..

My LO had a pretty bad immune system the first few months, we rarely took him shopping etc so we used a sterilizer for pretty much everything, I thought it was nice that they were able to be sterilised in the microwave, same as the dummies!

Kitty, I'm sure you can get little 5oz MAM bottles and a matching dummy with boots etc that would be ideal until you find what teat baby likes, I'm sure there was a thread not long ago. I got one for free not long ago for doing some questionnaire for MAM xx

I'm planning on bf but have bought the mam bf starter kit for £25 I got 6 bottles, 3 pots, a breast pump, 6 breast pads and a dummy. I wouldn't use second hand bottles. Xx

I'm planning on bf but have bought the mam bf starter kit for £25 I got 6 bottles, 3 pots, a breast pump, 6 breast pads and a dummy. I wouldn't use second hand bottles. Xx

Can I ask where you bought from? Haven't seen anything like that xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back