Sciatica misery

orangefluff

Reaction score
Hi girls, I feel like I'm being punished for keeping saying how good I feel and not having any back problems or anything!

Have had little bit of sciatica for couple weeks but nothing that really bothered me and would usually go away after a rest. Today I went to get a few buts at the supermarket and since I got back I have been in real pain with sciatica and not able to walk properly.

This does worry me cos when I was younger I had periods of not being able to walk as results of a slipped disc and slightly curved spine. The thought that it could happen again scares the crap out of me, although I know that this is very common in pregnancy.

Does anyone have any tips on easing it or making it go away? Would it be worth going to a chiropractor or osteopath do you think?

Thanks girls! Oh and I have a friend coming to stay the night and tomorrow, feel awful that it may be a boring stay for her if I'm not able to do anything!

sorry I can't help but wanted to say hope u feel better soon with this, they thought I had sciatica but its spd or pgp as they call it now I sympathise x

i would contact your midwife she maybe able to refer you to physio x

i had this when i was around 2months so i know how u feel i get it every now and then

I'm not pregnant (been 4 years since my son born) but I have 2 prolapsed discs and just over past 2 days sciatica has reared its ugly head again. pain killers no good in pregnancy so try a hot water bottle and ice pack combo. Some gentle stretches as soon as you get up in the morning (even if still in your bed) and as many times in the day as you can. Lie on your side and ask OH to give you a massage on the lower part of your spine and bum - it may not do the sciatica any good but will make it feel much better getting the massage (phsycological). Try to not stay in the same position for any length of time and sit nicely in a proper chair making sure that your knees are lower than your hips to keep your posture right. Try to keep moving cos stiffness will only make it worse
Tracey x

warm bath helps me, then bed, and its usually eased by the next day. not too helpful mind x

I'm not pregnant (been 4 years since my son born) but I have 2 prolapsed discs and just over past 2 days sciatica has reared its ugly head again. pain killers no good in pregnancy so try a hot water bottle and ice pack combo. Some gentle stretches as soon as you get up in the morning (even if still in your bed) and as many times in the day as you can. Lie on your side and ask OH to give you a massage on the lower part of your spine and bum - it may not do the sciatica any good but will make it feel much better getting the massage (phsycological). Try to not stay in the same position for any length of time and sit nicely in a proper chair making sure that your knees are lower than your hips to keep your posture right. Try to keep moving cos stiffness will only make it worse
Tracey x

Thanks that's good advice (unfortunately OH isn't here for another few weeks but would def get him doing that if he was!) and I will def take it. I had a prolapsed disc when I was 14 and had a terrible time of it - two of my discs are 'dead' and one of my lowest vertebrae fused to my pelvis so I have a history. My back has been much better for quite a while though and even better since being pregnant - this is the first time something like this has flared up since being PG so I've been lucky really.
It does make me miserable but I know it can be eased, just have to put the effort in and also stop pushing myself so hard - I have been non-stop for a long time and maybe it's my bodies way of telling me to rest now and get ready for labour and baby!!

warm bath helps me, then bed, and its usually eased by the next day. not too helpful mind x

Going to do this tonight - it's all I want to do, and typically I've been invited out to two parties - that never happens!!!!! :wall2:

ahh thats very inconvenient of your back! lol. have a chill out honey xx

try and sleep all in allignment with bent knees and straight back really helps, baby may have just sat on something, and you might find it sorts it self out soon X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back