Scaremongering?

MrsR

Reaction score
I have just seen an advert for dettol no touch soap pump. Is this scaremongering? IMO it is! Mainly because when you use a soap pump you pump the soap into your hand and then WASH YOUR HANDS! Which would get rid of the germs picked up from everywhere-including the soap pump! I'm frankly sick of being told 'this has 70 million germs on it but OUR product will get rid of ALL of them'! Another advert I hate is the vanish one that says 'kates sheets might be scarier than she thinks'. Surely some germs are good to help build up our immunity and immune system? If we were never exposed to germs the instant we did they'd destroy our immune system wouldn't they? Aaaaaagggggghhhhhh!

Yes Helen I totally agree, we do need a small amount of dirt to keep us healthy :)

Both those adverts drive me mad!!!!

I said exactly the same about the soap pump do they think we are silly or something so annoying.

Its all way out of hand IMO! The way things are going we are gonna have a population of sickly people because they don't get enough contact with germs. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger! If you catch a bug and get over it your immune system is boosted.

Of course we should all be careful to wash our hands after going to the loo and handling raw meat etc but all this anti bacterial everything is a step to far i reckon. Good hygene, common sense and looking after yourself should be enough without all this money making shite with 100000000% bacteria free stuff xx

I agree! Although when O was a teeny newborn I would have had him and my hands wrapped in a sterile bubble if I could have :lol: Everything is OTT nowadays though isn't it xx

Last edited:
Glad it's not just me! When I posted this I thought, they'll think I'm right minging! Lol! Toonlass I agree there's certain times that you obviously should wash your hands and surfaces etc but the rest is just ridiculous!

I work in a hossie and it drives me nuts lol. I mean you don't touch the pump but how are you meant to turn the tap on lol doh!

I work in a hossie and it drives me nuts lol. I mean you don't touch the pump but how are you meant to turn the tap on lol doh!

Lol! Thought hospitals had taps you can turn on with your elbow? Is that just in the surgery? x it's not so much turning the tap on but turning it back off after your hands are clean which is what the alcohol gel in hospitals is for isn't it? x

My friend was OTT with her baby, everything was sterilised etc, if she came to our house the toddler wasnt allowed to walk on our floor cos we had two dogs :lol: Don't think the kid was exposed to anything, by the time she started nursery, she was off more than she went with various illnesses, she been kept too sterile lol

Last edited:
you know, when i was growing up, my mum houe as proper clean all the time, not just clean, but like proper sterile! she was an infection control nurse tho! anyway, i was always ill when i was in college cos i just wasnt used to it! as soon as i moved out it all changed and i'm hardly ever ill now! my dad told me i was making the kids ill by not being super clean all the time, but as i pointed out to him, you can count on one hand the amount of times my kids have been ill!

those soap pump are ridiculous! i know when i've been doing things that make my hands grubby, i'll use my wrists or a clean finger to pump it (i cant get all my fingers dirty :sick:) they certainly know how to make money dont they!!

I reckon that's why so many children have allergies now, cos they're not exposed to anything anymore to get them immune, it's silly! I was never an eating mud child, but I played outside a lot, ate chocolate and ice lollys without washing my hands and look at me, no allergies, hurrah! I think it's so silly to be so over the top about cleanliness. Our children will be proper children, dig dig mud mud!!

I reckon that's why so many children have allergies now, cos they're not exposed to anything anymore to get them immune, it's silly! I was never an eating mud child, but I played outside a lot, ate chocolate and ice lollys without washing my hands and look at me, no allergies, hurrah! I think it's so silly to be so over the top about cleanliness. Our children will be proper children, dig dig mud mud!!

Agreed! x x

I agree! That's what being a kid is all about :lol: If it isn't dirty it isn't fun xx

Totallythink it's all rediculous too. I know someone who's 10 month old cant even crawl yet as hesnever allowed on the flor and he's literally ill once a week. How stupid. Since having him she won't leave the house as it's "too much fuss and messiness" that when the rare occasion rises he's practically dying afterwards for a week where he's ill! So that makes her keep him in more!! Cant win. I was always playing in the muddiesst spot I could find, around horses and dogs since being born, and I (touch wood) don't get unwell that often. I have asthma and that is it! And even that's not that bad. My child is going to be in the garden as soon as the weather is good enough next year after s/he is born. Whilst writing this I'm getting a bloody good kick in, my baby obviously agrees lol. X

I think its all OTT but i must admit we have those hand soapsin our house lol we're not over clean people but my mum lovesa gadget lol they are quite good when you have really dirty hands cos it stops you putting the mank on the pressy thing of soap dispensers lol. But yeah some people arre OTT clean! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back