RMC testing

lisey

Reaction score
Do they test for genetic/chromosome issues straight away? Is it standard to test this? If there is a problem can we still get pregnant? Is that what pgd ivf is for?

Sorry for all the posts, I just have so much circling round in my head and google just worries me more x

After our 2nd loss both myself and my husband had blood taken to check for genetic/chromosome issues, I also got tested for antibody and blood clotting problems I think these are standard tests. We haven't decided yet if we want to be referred back for more tests such as scans.
Blood results came back within 6 weeks and were all normal but we then went on to have a 3rd loss.

Michelle x

That's right Lisey. If you or your DH has a chromosome problem, you can get IVF with PGS. We've had our chromosomes checked and they were fine. We were told 4-8 weeks for the results but there was a balls up with the samples and we had to have them repeated at the 6 week mark, so the consultant asked for them to be done urgently and we got the results back in 10 days.

Whats pgd ivf? I was thinking what if one of us has dodgy eggs/sperm, would they do egg/sperm selection to make sure we had a good bean? Xxx

Hi hun,

Yep one of the first things they test for are genetic issues

They tested me [and OH] for the following:

* Blood disorders
* Chromosomal abnormalities / genetic issues [we both had blood tests for this]
* My egg reserve
* Fibroids / cysts

All were blood tests apart from the fibroids and cysts which was an internal scan.

I gave 14 vials of blood so they were pretty thorough with me but the 4 things I list above are they main things they test for.

xxxxxxx

Last edited:
Yes they check for chromosome issues. I came back as having a chromosome problem. They do suggest having Ivf pgd but unfortunately it isn't nhs funded for all chromosome issues. I have a balanced translocation (which is the standard chromosomal reason for recurrent losses) and was told we would have to fight to get funding for Ivf pgd as it isn't currently funded on the nhs.

My other option was to just keep trying and hope a good egg got through; which it finally did 11 losses later xxx it I a very rare thing to have tho; I think the stats are 1 in 500 women will have recurrent miscarriages, and of those women only 1% will have a balanced translocation.

Thanks for the advice everyone. We are not entitled to ivf on nhs anyway as I have a son already but I knoe pgd is super expensive so I hope it doesnt come to that. My doctor is sorting my referral now so I hope its not a long wait, he said shld hear within 4 weeks. I am not pinning my hopes on finding answers but if all comes ba k clear at least I will know its just incredibly bad luck x

My consultant told me that after the initial tests 70% of couples will remain in the 'no reason' category.

So you are more likely to not get a diagnosis than to walk away with a 'reason'... I would bare that in mind.

There are other tests they can do, but they will have to be private.

xxxxxxx

Yeah I am fully prepared for that. My main worry is the chromosome/genetic ones so will be happy to get that over with x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back