Rhesus Negative?

Momma`Kat

Reaction score
I have my next midwife appointment on the 30th so she will tell me then, But does anyone know how likely it is to be Rhesus Negative? My mother was RH - but I was adopted young so cant ask her whether I was or not and have never had my blood type checked till now :roll:

Im rhesus negative and so is my mother. According to my paperwork 15% of the population are negative.

They should test for antibodies when you have a blood test and you'll also find out your blood group.

If you are rhesus negative they will send you for a lovely intra-musclular injecton of anti d at 28 weeks and again at 36wks (i think its 36) ouch :(

xxx

Is the injection another one of those dormant virus type things? Because they always make me incredibly unwell :(
And is it just precautionary? Or a known must have or harm to baby will occur?

Is the injection another one of those dormant virus type things? Because they always make me incredibly unwell

What do you mean hun?

Its just a precautionary thingy, in case any of the babies blood enters your body or vice versa, it can create anti bodies and can make you both very ill L

I had an injection at 16wks as I was having some unexpected bleeding from a low placenta, its painful but its not that bad L my mum told me to expect the worse as it was like them throwing a dart in my bum . . . . she exaggerated somewhat! lol

Last edited:
When you get vaccinated for Mumps or something, Its like an unconcious version of the illness that your body can fight and then it gets the antibodies you need to stop you getting it properly. Like giving you a wounded target rather than the full thing.

Yeah i suppose you could see it like that :) It is a precautionary injection to stop your body developing antibodies x

I wouldnt worry about it too much xxx

If you've had bloods tested already then you shouldve been told whether you're rhesus negative as they like to inform you asap. I don't think the injections are a dormant virus like in the mumps vaccination as being rhesus negative is a blood type not a virus, the danger is baby is more likely to be rhesus positive and if any of baby's blood gets into your blood stream your blood would see it as a 'threat' and destroy the blood, the injections stop this happening x Heres a link that might help explain it;
http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100005062.html

Thanks a lot Helen, Will check it out. Midwife is on the 30th so I think she will lemme know then if theres an issue, she has been on holiday aswell so might not have got round to things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back