rhesus negative

Toxic_Angel

Reaction score
Does anyone else have rhesus negative blood type? midwife didnt really explain much about it a while ago, just gave me a jab =/

confuzzled really lol

I am rheusus negative and it means you need a couple of extra injections through your pregnancy in case the are any antibodies produced by the baby manage to get in to your blood stream.

None of it will affect your first pregnancy but if you get pregnant again and didn't get the injections it could affect future pregnancies as your body could attack the baby as it is confused.

If you have any bangs on your bump or any extra bleeding you might ned additional extra injectuions.

fothers said:
I am rheusus negative and it means you need a couple of extra injections through your pregnancy in case the are any antibodies produced by the baby manage to get in to your blood stream.

None of it will affect your first pregnancy but if you get pregnant again and didn't get the injections it could affect future pregnancies as your body could attack the baby as it is confused.

If you have any bangs on your bump or any extra bleeding you might ned additional extra injectuions.

fothers... does ur partner have to be tested too?

:wave:
I'm rh- and my partner was never tested. I'm sure he should have been though and if I ever see a consultant this time I'll be asking :)

emma28 said:
:wave:
I'm rh- and my partner was never tested. I'm sure he should have been though and if I ever see a consultant this time I'll be asking :)

i was going to type before i thought u had it, but Alastair started crying :rotfl:

exactly as fothers said..another brainy lisa :D
lol..
im r- and only had 1 anti d injection after charlotte was born..this time i have been offered them at 20ish weeks and again after this ones born.. theres more of a risk with this one as mine and charlottes blood could have mixed.. basically what they did was test her cord blood to see what blood type she was she was o R+ and i am o R- so if our bloods mixed then i would reject my next baby if our bloods mixed..its all quite complicated.. you dont need the anti d injection if your partner is r- too tho.. so perhaps its safeer for ur bfs or hubbys to be tested on their blood groups? - even though it is very very very low chance there is still a chance of hiv from the injection, as the anti d antibodys are from other people.. it is obviously screened so the risk is low.. but it is still a risk.. also the injections really expensive so i dont see why they dont test the babys dad more..

ive got my midwife on thursday and im gonna talk to her about alex having his blood group taken b4 i have the injections..

but if your partners blood is also negative u wont need the injection?

No you wouldn't- but I don't think they test in my area routinely. We are pretty sure OH is positive anyway though and having the injections doesn't bother me.

I had one after the m\c- jab in the back side- didn't hurt though

I'm rhesus A negative... so far I've had one anti-d injection (I got pushed over when a fight kicked off in the pub I worked in) so I went to hospital the next day for a anti-d.

I was tested at 28 weeks and my blood was apparently not making antibodies, so I didn't have to have injections then or at 36 weeks. Will have to have one after the birth but otherwise that's it.

There's nothing much to it - just if you have a bad fall/car crash/'body trauma' then give your hospital a call and ask for an emergency anti-d and explain why (it's in case the bump made yours and your baby's bloods swap) but otherwise you can just be expected to be blood tested a couple of times (mine were due 28 and 36 weeks but different areas may be different) and depending on the results you may need additional anti-d injections, or may not. You'll have to have one after the birth for definate too due to the blood transfer between you and the baby during birth.

Bear it in mind if you ever need to go to hospital for any reason, and make sure your partner/next of kin/employers know you're rh- in case you ever have an accident and need a blood transfusion then the hospital know not to give you positive blood (only something like 15% of people are rh-).

Oh, and my other half didn't get his blood tested - I think if you are both negative then you will be ok and not need anti-d, but I don't know.

Anything else, just type rhesus negative pregnancy into google. Or feel free to PM :)

michelle

I'm rh negative- and after my 3 kids being born I didnt need Anti D, which meant that they are rh neg too.
So that must mean my hub is rh neg too.

During this, my 4th pregnacy, they have introduced a routine Anti D injection at 28 weeks- which I'll be having soon.

I don't think they ever test what the chaps rhesus status is, if you are neg, you get the injection, then they test the babys blood when its born (as they do anyway). It saves on resources, imagine how many extra blood samples would have to be processed if they did do the blokes too!! Its easier just to give the injection.

Anna B said:
I don't think they ever test what the chaps rhesus status is, if you are neg, you get the injection, then they test the babys blood when its born (as they do anyway). It saves on resources, imagine how many extra blood samples would have to be processed if they did do the blokes too!! Its easier just to give the injection.

that makes sense :)

sorry im a lil confused... do they only give you anti-d if you are negative?
not if your positive?

Hi! I'm negative too and you only need anti-d if you rhesus negative.

I had the injections with both my boys and they are rhesus positive so I'm guessing hubby is positive too. Not sure how blood groups works.

As far as I know it's nothing to worry about just means more needles :shock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back