Bleeding/rhesus negative

Dinski

Reaction score
I went in to hopsital today as I had a very slight bleed of bright red blood. I was so worried but they did all the checks and my cervix is closed and the doctors think the blood probably came from a burst blood vessel in my uterus or vagina. Has anyone else had a bleed in the second trimester?

They also told me that I am rhesus negative so I have to have several injections throughout and after the pregnancy to inject anti-d serum (because baby is most likely rhesus positive) and apparently I have quite a rare blood group type O negative (also incidentally the name of one of my favourite bands ;). I had to have an injection today (in my bum cheek ouch) and blood taken. What a palava. I am so exhausted now. Is anyone else rhesus negative and if so, what happens after your first baby is born as a second baby is the one which really is affected with a negative rhesus?

Soz i can only comment on the bleed. I had a bleed at 15wks with my DS, woke up and there was blood on the sheet, i crapped myself, but scan showed all was ok and he's now a bubbly 6 year old.

So many women seem to have bleeds,i'm glad your scan showed alls ok :hug:

hey i dont really know much more than you do, but im the same blood type as you, though i dont get an injection for it until im 30 weeks :-s so im now even more confused lol

Clairem1984 - Don't worry. I only had to have an extra injection today because of my bleed (to insure against the possibility that babies blood reacted with my bleed and my antibodies don't react against baby). I've been told I'll have to have another 2 more injections during my pregnancy and another one afterwards (plus they will check the umbilical cord of the baby).

ah thats okay then :) i've been told i have one at 30 weeks, and then another one after the birth, didnt know it was in ur bum tho :shock:

I too am rhesus, although A neg and Type O are also a great band. I saw them in 1997.
I bled after intercourse early on in 2nd tri, but otherwise nothing!
Jo

Think Emmylou is rhesus negative :think:

Hope you're feeling ok after your injections etc :hug:

Lotus - Wow, A negative is even rarer than O negative. I had seen Type O Negative play every time they were in the UK but not for a few years now since I am getting a bit to old to go to gigs and my husband isn't in to that type of music.

i am Rhesus A negative. maybe it makes us really tired? i have to have injections at 28 and 34 weeks. second baby may only affected if they dont monitor you in your first preg.

hi girls,
sorry to butt in to 2nd tri, was just browsing round having a nosey and thought i could help a bit.
i used to work in a blood transfusion lab in a hopsital where we issued the anti-d for the ante natal clinic so i know a little bit about it.

As you know, Rh neg is rarer than Rh pos, so even though you're neg, your partner is probably pos and the baby will probably be pos. As you know, the anti-d stops your body producing antibodies if any of the baby's blood gets in to your blood stream, which would be more likely to happen during a bleed in pregnancy or during birth. Anti-d actually only used to be given at these times, but then some trials were done which found it was also beneficial to give routinely a couple of times during pregnancy as well, so now most places do this.
The cord blood will be tested as this will contain the baby's blood, not yours, so will give the baby's blood group without them having to take blood from the baby. If the baby is Rh neg then there will be no chance of you making antibodies so you won't need any more injections. Also if your partner is Rh neg, then the baby definetely will be too so you wouldn't need any of the injections.
You are right that it is actually the subsequent babies that are at risk from the antibodies. If antibodies are present in the mum, then an Rh pos baby would be seen as a foreign body (like an infection) and the mothers immune system would attack the baby and could cause miscarriage. But as long as you all get all your anti-d injections, then you should all be fine for next time and can have LOADS of happy babies!!!! :D

By the way, O neg is the most sought after blood group for blood transfusions, as it can be given to anyone in an emergency regardless of blood group without them having a reaction to it.
So after the baby you might like to consider becoming a blood donor if you're not already (free tea and biscuits!!!!) They would really love you. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back