Reusable Nappies info

cassi

Reaction score
I searched and know there is some more info on reusables on the site but i thought id start up a new thread because i still need more info. Which ones to buy.
Are pre folds as complicated as they look.
What do you use.
Can you use wraps from one make on a different make of nappy (or is the fit different).
Where can i get the best prices.
Where does Beanie get serens wraps from!!!.
I have been Pm'ing Kina who has given me some really good info and thought that there might be other people on the forum trying to convert or thinking about using washables but not sure and thought it would be good to start up a topic packed full of info on in my opinion a very good thing!

Maybe we can also put in the advantages and disadvantages and try and convert more people to cloth!!

Like the (round figure) £1000 you will spend on reusables in 2.5 years maybe abit less, or abit more depending on which ones you use. But still alot of money.

Like the fact that 4% of peoples household waste is nappies and think of all the babies in britain, and how many wear up to 8 nappies a day which all get thrown in the bin to clog up another landfil, imagine how bad it will be in a few generations on.

And that cloth costs you about £260 for a birth to potty pack that lasts you the 2.5 years and then you can sell them, or use them on your next child or even more (i know someone who has used her terries on all 3 children, one pack that cost her hardly anything cause she bought it off a friend and has lasted her 3 children and are still completely in tact and in fairly good condition, none of them are ripped or dirty looking so that has saved her around £3000!!

And this is why i really like the idea of cloth nappies now! However i will admit that before knowing all this i wouldnt of had a second thought about using disposables.

Hope some of this helps and hope i can get some help from the reusable experts on here!! :D

Hi there. Feel free to PM me if you like. I am a real nappy advisor up here so more than happy to answer any questions.

IN the meantime.

Pocket nappies
A pocket made from (usually) a stay-dry inner layer and a waterproof outer. Absorbent material is put inside the pocket. Only one layer to put on. Brands: Fuzzi Bunz, Nature Babies Stuffables, Swaddlebees, Wonderoos, Minkis, P'tits Dessous.

Shaped two-part nappies
Absorbent nappy shaped to fit and fasten around baby before putting on a separate waterproof cover. Brands: Motherease (One-size, Multifit, Sandy's), Nature Babies Diddy Diaper, Bimble QD and Bumble from Easy Peasy Nappies, Tots Bots, Rainbow Bots, Fluffles, Bamboozles, Huggles from Nappies by Minki and from Swaddlebees the Organic Cotton Velour nappies and the *new* One-Size Organic Cotton Velour nappies.

All-in-One nappies
Absorbent, shaped-to-fit nappy with attached waterproof cover. Only one layer to put on and launder. Brand: Motherease and *new* Magic-alls

Swim nappies
Reusable swim pants with hidden mesh to catch any accidents! Brand: Motherease.

Flat nappies
Absorbent flat nappies to fold to fit around baby and fasten with a Nappi Nippa before putting on a waterproof cover. Brand: Little Ewe terries & muslins.

Wraps

Waterproof wraps and examples
Motherease Air Flow wrap
Probably the most popular nappy wrap in the UK! Lightweight, soft, breathable wrap that gives a comfortable, loose, airy fit. For use over shaped nappies. Fastens with poppers at the sides. Available in several colours and patterns.

Motherease Rikki wraps
Popular soft, breathable, neat-fitting wrap to fit over virtually all types of washable nappies. Fastens with Aplix at the waist. Available in several colours and patterns.

Nature Babies Classic Covers
Comfortable, breathable wrap for use over any type of washable nappy. Choice of velcro or popper fastening. Adjustability within first two sizes gives a versatile fit. Available in a wide range of colours and fun patterns to make your nappy collection truly unique! UK made.

Tots Wrap
Incredibly stretchy, soft, comfortable breathable wrap for use over any type of washable nappy. Aplix fastening at waist. Available in white and patterns. UK made.

XXL RebTieDye Wrap
A generous-sized pull-on wrap perfect for use over bulky night nappies. UK made.

Fleece wraps
Covers made from polyester fleece the same as the fleece fabric used to make clothing. Fleece is water-repellant but allows excellent air exchange, keeping the nappy area cooler and dryer. Perfect for night time use.

Tots Bots
High performing velcro fastening fleece wraps. Available in several bright colours or pattern

Liners and Boosters

Boosters are simply a pad made from a number of layers of absorbent fabric that sit in or popper into a nappy to increase absorbency. They can also be used to boost the absorbency of pocket nappies (unless the booster has a stay-dry layer) and in the same way most pocket nappy inserts can also make excellent boosters.

Liners As the name suggests, liners line the nappy, next to baby's skin, to catch solids and/or keep skin dry, depending upon the fabric they are made from.

Booster/liner combos Some boosters are topped with a lining fabric, making them a liner and booster in one. With these there is no need to use a paper liner, though of course you can if you like.

Washable wipes

Washable wipes are a big unexpected money-saver, saving around £8 a month per baby compared with disposable wipes! If you are using cloth nappies washable wipes are no extra effort as they can be stored and washed with the nappies. They are much gentler on baby than perfume- and preservative-soaked disposable types

You can also hire nappy kits - email me for details - that way you can try before you buy. Your local council may also have a trial scheme running. Check out its website - probably under recycling.

You can also make your own nappies and liners and there are several patterns available depending on which type you want to make.

Wow Jo,
You sure do know a lot about them.

Cassi,
I had posted earlier about a specific part about the washables (poo ahem) and got some really good advice from Kina. I had been thinking about it and im going to give it a go. I dont have £250 at the start but im going to get a tots bots starter pack and some extras.

This thread is a great idea. My worry is that recently I havent had a solid nappy from Jess. She is 2 and her nappies are a nightmare. But I will cross that bridge with new baby when I come to it. Im just going to keep jess as she is in disposables, to be honest im not sure but ive still to reach a desicion.

***and beanie replied to it with info as well, done this post before I checked my others**

Are pre folds as complicated as they look.
I use bambino mio prefolds. I personally don't find them difficult to use and I like them but they can be fiddly until you get the hang of them. I would recommend using a shaped nappy (tots bots, tots bots, tots bots - am hoping Fiona puts me on commision for these now :D )

What do you use.
I use tots bots and little lamb shaped nappies, mio prefolds and minki and weenotions pocket nappies.

Can you use wraps from one make on a different make of nappy (or is the fit different).
I have found that the mio wraps don't go over shaped nappies well and I can't use any other wraps with prefolds apart from those that are designed for them but generally yes

ebay is a good place to look. Also go on the nappies websites as they do trial packs for a good price

Where does Beanie get serens wraps from!!!.
Stawberry wrap is tots bots (they have some cool wraps), cow print one is a weenotion pocket nappy, purple one with stripey binding (in the relax t-shirt photo is by weenotions too and is a wrap. Sheep one is a minki pocket nappy.

I also use reusable wipes and they are great. So much better then disposable wipes as they are more substantial and can be used for everyhting

i use a mix of reusables and disposables, i ude the dispos at night, and reuseables during the day unless we are going out.

I got confused with the wraps, as we have terries squares (i didn't want terries squares - i wanted a birth to potty pack but a well meaning grand parent went staright out and bought use about 10 packs of terries squares. :roll: ) i don't like using nappy pins so i use the nappy nippas they are reallly good!, but the wraps confused me i tried the pvc covers but they really made him sweat, and i looked at covers, and found that the fleece wraps i like weren't water proof, so i guess if he wee'd it would just soak through? so i have some nikki premium wraps at the moment.

I hate folding terries as once i've got them under ewan he's moved as its all gone out of shape!

I use booster pads, as he is quite a heavy wetter

Hypnorm you could fold up the terries and use them in pocket nappies :D Then you've got the cover and liner all sorted :D

What do you use.
Tots Bots with applix, Wee Notion nappies, pockets and wraps, Wonderoo Magicalls (just like a disposable), fuzzi bunz pockets, wonderoo pocket
The Wee Notions wraps fit very well over tots bots aswell as their own nappies, I prefer them as they have poppers (my tots bots wrap is velco so Ella can undo it :lol: ). I have some Nature Baby wraps but they don't fit over my tots bots and are small. Don't like them or my Nature Baby pocket, it's not a nice shape.
I bought mine during real nappy week from Babykind (www.babykind.co.uk) and got a 5% discount (however RNW is in April). You can buy from Ebay but prices are often not much cheaper than getting new. I've found that most retailers sell the major brands like tots bots at very similar prices :) The good thing about real nappies is that if you don't get on with them the well known brands have a very good resale value on Ebay.
In short I recommend Tots Bots, they are quite bulky but you can get some gorgeous wraps to go over them from Wee Notions. I also recommend Magicalls for when you're out and about. My favourite nappies are Wee Notions, I love everything about them. The fabrics are really soft, you can pick and choose all different colours, the wraps are generously cut and the pocket nappies keep Ella bone dry. Her pink daisy one is so cute, I love showing it off :)

Same here Kina, love the pockets as hey keep Seren so dry at night (thank you so much for recommending them). Its a shame to cover them up, so glad its the summer and we can show them off :D

Laurasmum, you're forgiven for forgetting me :cry: :cry: :cry:

Right, took a few pics today on me moby, so sorry if quality isn't that fab.

Ella with a tots bots bamboozle before wrap:
Image030.jpg

Image027.jpg

With Wee Notions wrap:
Image031.jpg

Image032.jpg

Image034.jpg

Raspberry Wonderoo Magicall
Image037.jpg

Image038.jpg

Image039.jpg

Flat out in a carnation Wonderoo Magicall
Image040.jpg

Thanks for all the info it really helps..i now think i goiing to mix and match like beanie and kina instead of just buying one birth to potty pack...Then i will have different nappies for different use, i.e going out, sleeping, just at home etc :D Maybe we should make this a sticky cause the info will hopefully help lots of people out .. :D

Some more pics :)

Velour Wee Notions nappy (absolutely gorgeous, has a hemp booster which is very absorbent, a very soft lovely nappy, Beanie has the same one hope she agrees). Needs a wrap but wanted to show it off in all it's glory, looks better in the flesh though.

purplenappy.jpg

purplenappy2.jpg

This is another Wee Notions nappy, but this one is a micofleece one (I believe) which has a built in fleece liner (in pink camo, gorgeous!) and a big fold out booster. It's quite bulky but fits real nice :) Another one that needs a wrap but I am just showing it off as I never get the chance in 'real' life (unless doing a nappy change).

pinknappy.jpg

they look a really nice snug fit and look cute too..im going to buy some online tonight to see what i think :D

Kina said:
Velour Wee Notions nappy (absolutely gorgeous, has a hemp booster which is very absorbent, a very soft lovely nappy, Beanie has the same one hope she agrees). Needs a wrap but wanted to show it off in all it's glory, looks better in the flesh though.

Completely agree, it is so soft and Seren loves it (she has a taggy of the same material so I think she thinks she has her taggy on her bum). Am getting a wonderoo magic all too :D

just bought my first 3 a rainbow bots nappy, a tots bots fleece wrap (the polka one)..and sorry beanie but i couldnt resist..the sheep pocket nappy :D now im off to weenotions :D

cassi said:
just bought my first 3 a rainbow bots nappy, a tots bots fleece wrap (the polka one)..and sorry beanie but i couldnt resist..the sheep pocket nappy :D now im off to weenotions :D

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: I warn you now that you will become addicted. Both me and Kina are very poor (I blame her though as she keeps showing me nice new nappies and I have to buy them)

tell me about it i dont think this is going to save me as much money as planned lmao..shh dont tell Alan (while i sit here with his credit card) lol..he does know..he said i can spend £80 on them tonight :D

£80, yeah ok :wink: :wink: :wink:

Its amazing how many BOGOF offers they do (well thats what I tell OH).

Seren has stained some of her little lamb nappies (they are similar to tots bots) so I am going to buy some dye tomorrow and make them nice funky colours.

cool!! what a good idea :D what do you do with the ones she has outgrown though?

cassi said:
cool!! what a good idea :D what do you do with the ones she has outgrown though?

Have washed them and packed them away for baby 2 and 3 but if we have 2 boys I will sell the girly ones on ebay.

good idea ... there is a 3 for 2 sale on magialls at the moment but i put 3 in the basket and it still comes up with the normal price :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back