Ray of light....advice please???

WILMAFLINSTONE

Reaction score
Hey ladies.....especially Ray of light....

Bit of advice needed please....

Ok so Bfeeding is going really well so far BUT Matilda sdoesnt seem to be getting enough although her weigh in yesterday shows otherwise as shes gained 12oz on a week!

BUT Im having to top her up with carton formular at lease twice a day as she feeds on booth boobs, then still wants more after shes been winded or snoozes but she wont go back on my boobs....

So spoke to the HV yesterday when she came out and shes absolutely fine with me toppin her up and not to beat myself up about it etc but I really want to be feeding her exclusively!

HV did advise that the first 6 weeks is the hardest and im half way there today so just wondered if anyone has any advice as to what I can or should do to get her back on after shes been on both sides so I can try and avoid having to top her up with bottles?

Thanks in advance xxx

Try expressing in between her feeds to help up your supply x

Hi Mk....I did suggest that but HV said milk isnt properly established till around 6 weeks and no to express till then unless I have blocked ducts again.....but because shes not going back on I think I may give that a try and hopefully keep milk flow coming and that may encourage her to get back on lol as Im sure she empties them although HV said this wouldnt happen and theres always a supply lol xxx

Although all mums and baby are different, from my personal experience do the expressing inbetween as i did from the start and he still needed top ups and try not to worry as it made it worse for me and baby, he wouldnt latch so i had to express every feed and it still gradually dried up even missing just one feed andhes only 12 weeks and fully ff now :( xx

Ignore the HV, it's rubbish. She's going through a growth spurt and momma kat is right - try expressing as much as you can to get your body to produce more.

The lactation expert for Medela in the UK came to my home when we filmed the ad. We had a chat at length about the current advice of not expressing until 6 weeks. She can't understand where it has come from as expressing helps build supply and really helps having extra milk when going through growth spurts. I'd definitely give it a try as you have nothing to lose.

The problem with introducing formula when you want to exclusively breastfeed is that it's a vicious circle. Your baby wants more so you give more, but not from you, so your body thinks what it's supplying is sufficient when in fact it's not. Building up enough supply to satisfy her will take a few days but the hard work will be worth it.

Try getting as much rest as possible, eat oats, drink lots of water and herbal fennel tea is great unless you can get hold of mama tea (I swear this stuff is amazing!). Fenugreek is an option too. I think a lot of us ladies started taking that around 6 weeks.

One other thing - do you give her a dummy? It was something I really wanted to avoid but he was forever attached to me and not feeding so I introduced one around 4 weeks. He will take it after a feed sometimes. Only for about 10 mins but it works and he goes off to sleep.

Good luck! It's bloody hard work this breastfeeding lark but so worth it! Xxx

I was expressing in hospital from the day after she was born, the first day i was fine, but then every thing went caput supply wise lol! it just helped get it up faster and once i was home (5 days later) i was fine and didnt need to do it anymore.

..... And porridge oats, man I can feed a small village after a bowl of porridge!!

Oh thanks ladies and ROLight thanks for your advice too.... So when is best to express.....anytime shes not feeding on me or do I give myself time to build up supplies again? Or should I do it after her morning feed?

One thing Im also struggling with atm is eating..... I know Ive been on a lifestyle change since just before I found out I was pregnant and lost nearly 3 stone since then and having Matilda but the weight is just dropping off me as I have very little appetite.
Im eating plenty fresh fruit and milk and I have a bagal for lunch most days but I just cant face much more atm....will try some ots so simple but any advice on this too please? xxx

i was expressing when i was in hospital when she was 2 days old and i was only getting colustrum but they said every bit counts and by expressing would build my supply cause i had to top amelia up cause of paedetricians advice.

i had to express one to two hours before she was due a feed xx

I also spoke to someone from madela ( was so stressed as ELlie was in special care) but they used madela breast pumps in hospital and yeah they said express when I could as it gets the supply going xx

I swear by Fenugreek - Brilliant stuff :) Holland and Barratt sell it.

I was worried that Evelyn wasn't getting enough around 3 weeks but at that age they grow so much, the amount they feed does tend to fluctuate quite a bit. The more she is at the breast the more milk your body will think she needs so put her to the brest regularly.

With regards to formula - if you want to exclusively breastfeed i'd drop one formula feed and BF as much as possible until her feeding seems to settle again, then drop the other feed and see how you get on.

Evelyn still has the odd day where she'll feed constantly but within a day or two she's settled. Your body will never physically 'run out' of milk so don't panic, within 24hrs you should start to eep up with her demand again.

With regards to expressing - as much as possible. Any breast stimulation is good for increasing supply. Even if you appear to be getting nothing keep at it - within reason, you don't want to get sore.

Good luck and well done - you're doing a fab job x

Oh thanks ladies and ROLight thanks for your advice too.... So when is best to express.....anytime shes not feeding on me or do I give myself time to build up supplies again? Or should I do it after her morning feed?

One thing Im also struggling with atm is eating..... I know Ive been on a lifestyle change since just before I found out I was pregnant and lost nearly 3 stone since then and having Matilda but the weight is just dropping off me as I have very little appetite.
Im eating plenty fresh fruit and milk and I have a bagal for lunch most days but I just cant face much more atm....will try some ots so simple but any advice on this too please? xxx

A lot of us express first thing, after baby's first feed of the day. Sometimes (like if he'a been up all night) I'll hardly get anything on that morning feed so I'll do it again mid afternoon and then after the last feed. It really does help keep the supply up.

As for eating - lucky you! I ate like a horse the first few months. I was just so hungry! I found snacking on oatcakes whilst feeding was a good way to get oats down me. I like the cheese ones. Also harvest crunch oat bars are lovely.

You could try getting a dish from the Indian takeaway with fenugreek in. I did this once and swear I could've put out fires with my supply that night! There was loads!

When expressing, even if your boob seems empty keep expressing for a good few minutes, five if possible, this then sends signals to carry on producing more milk. Give it at least 48 hours and you should start to see a difference in your milk supply. Once you have expressed one boob, go to the other and then come back to the first boob before finishing on the last one again.

Express after feeding baby, best time is in the morning, but do keep trying for a few days at least to express after every feed. Again this will help., but only do what you can, don't make your self even more over tired, as that will not help either.

I am affraid you will have to try and eat a little more if you can as that will not help your supply. Make a huge batch of flapjack one evening, then you have plenty of oats to keep munching on for a good few days.

Best of luck.

Just a quick note to say even if you aren't eating that much, remember to keep drinking - I try to have at least 4-5 pints of water a day and I definitely notice a drop in milk supply if I forget!

Countrybumpkin is most definitely our expressing expert on PF Wilmaflinstone so give her methods a go for sure. Xxx

Sorry for delay girls but thanks for all your advicce....I will be starting my expressing routine from tomorrow and have armed myself with porridge oats which will soon be flap jacks lol!

Cbumpkin thanks for your great advice too I will certainly be doing what you have advised and will let you all know how Im getting on xxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back