Struggling with BF, Advice please? *UPDATED PG3*

awh! well done jo! im proud of you.. you should be well impressed with yourself! i think if theres any woman who hasnt had a problem feeding int eh 1st week they are lieing.. it didnt come to me naturally.. and i dont think it has come to anyone i have spoken to either..

perseveer.. most breastfed babys lose weight in the 1st week..so dont let that worry you.. perhaps to get her interested give her a ml or so of expressed milk or formula from a seringe.. once she has tasted a bit she will be interesed and should latch on better.. ohh im so glad you managed to get her to feed for half hr.. did u strip ehr off? try and get loads of skin to skin.. sam can do it to.. its fab to get the breastfeeding bond going.. dunno y.. it just wokrs.. even when u arnt feeding ehr for the next few days hold ehr on you or sam a few times a day

Wow I haven't seen your news either! CONGRATULATIONS! :cheer:

Well I can't really offer any more advice than what has already been said but I just want to say I had the exact same problems for the first few weeks and it is so so hard, frustrating and worrying but believe me when you get past those first few weeks you kind of forget.

I know Brody just would not open his mouth wide enough and kept slipping off causing very sore and cracked nipples. I used lots of Lansinoh and my HV suggested shields which I used from when Brody was 2 weeks old until 5 weeks, and once I stopped using them he was suddenly latching on properly as he knew he had to open wide to get it all in!

I hope everything settles down for you soon it's brilliant she's fed from you for half hour it will get easier honest hun! :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

aw jo :hug: i'm so proud of you, you're doing REALLY well so give yourself a big pat on the back and some choccies as a reward :D

You're doing everything ok, it'll get better once your milk comes in and you'll find it a lot easier, just stay away from the formula if you can, babies won't starve.

My first i was in hospital 5 days due to not being able to get her to latch on properly, i didn't wake her either, sometimes she went 6 hours in between feeds but when she woke i knew she was awake and hungry. in the end i just told them i wanted to go home as i thought i'd be more relaxed. She did feed better from one side and not the other so in the end i gave her most of the feeds from the one side she liked best, ok there was a 'slight' difference in boob size after but nothing really noticeable and when i fed the next one i used the opposite side to what Kirsty had used to try and even them out a bit :rotfl:

My first i fed for about 4/6 months and was proud i'd perseveered, with it. my next one i went onto formula after about 6 wks as i just couldn't feed him enough, he was always feeding/crying, one night i gave him a bottle, he drank about 7oz (at 6 wks old) and slept thru the night, well that was enough to pursuade me and i gave up the BF, i did feel a bit like i'd let myself and him down but knew i just wasn't feeding hm enough and had given him the best i could.

With Ben, my last one, well to be honest he took it well from both sides right from day one, i fed him till he was about 18 months :shock: NEVER in my life did i think i would feed a baby that long but it was so rewarding, the closenes, easiness etc i never thought i'd get him weened off it, it was only when i went in for my ectopic i managed to ween him. I still miss it now.

What i guess i'm trying to say is EVERYONE has trouble with their first at BF'ing, if they say otherwise i reckon they're lying or one hell of a lucky bugger.

Your nips will get sore, each and every child you feed will make them sore but it doesn't last, it'll make you feel sooooooo much like giving up as it can bring tears to your eyes, after each feed rub some BM onto them and let them dry naturally, its the most natural thing for them and will work wonders.

Drink plenty of fluid, eat well and don't get too over tired, these are the main things that will help your supply, also you can take fenugreek capsules to boost your supply, i did but wait till your milk supply is i properly b4 doing this, you'll know you're taking the right amount when your sweat starts to smell like maple syrup :lol: i can't remember thae actual dose but you can google it.

Try not to over express, especially at the mo or you'll really know it when you milk comes in, i've done it, pumped and pumped cause nothing was coming out but boy did i pay for it after a day or two, its not the amoput you get out its the amount of pumping, even if baby sucks without getting milk it builds the supply, you'll e surprised when you ge it established how your baby cab fluctauate your milk supply when they are on a grwoth spurt etc.

Sorry for the long post :oops: i get carried away sometimes :D

keep up the good work, we're all here for you if you need us :hug:

First of all I wanted to say: Happy_chick congratulations on the birth of your baby girl!! :cheer: :hug:

I'm so sorry to hear you are having BFing problems, but don't think you are alone in this, it's hard at the beginning but it does get better with time. You and LO don't know what to do, you are both new at this and imo pff, so much for breastfeeding coming naturally to both mum and baby (didn't feel like that to me anywayz!). You are doing amazingly well, well done for feeding her for half hour, keep having skin to skin with her as the other ladies said, that's all she needs at the beginning!

Midwives and breastfeeding advisors really help (my midwife had arranged for me to see a BF advisor, she was so nice and helpful). Get them to watch your latching the baby as well as the whole feeding session, they will give precious advice.

Also, here are some baby latching videos that really helped me crack this "latching" business. Lisa, how sweet to make and post those vids and pics!

You are doing very well, keep at it! :hug:

wow! those vids r good.. shame they havent got it at the right angle.. so u can see how to do it.. latching on correctly does not come natural.. and i had to be physically taught.. if i had seen how to do it i think i might have found it easier.. but noone in my family breast fed.. so i had never actually seen how it was done.. and he nipple fed.. which.. absoutly bloody killed..also.. even using the internet i couldnt find any.. how to latch on properly videos..and i searched for hours.. i found some simular where they dont show u the correct angle and u jsut see a babys head and a tit..i hope if theres anyone else struggling this helps them to xx

Excellent news jo, stick with it, it sounds like you're doing really well :)

UPDATE

Well I defo spoke too soon today as shes not been off my boob all night and has defo mastered the art of sucking... My nips are mega sore now tho and can bear to feed her anymore so have given her a bottle and trying to sooth my nips lol. I know its not the best solution to give her a bottle but I simply cant let her suck on my boobs anymore til they are feeling a bit better :?

My aim is to breastfeed but my intention is also to feed her at night with a bottle so that she sleeps through a little better, may sound selfish but to stick with it I feel like a need some relief and that is something that OH can do when im exhausted or cud do with a break. What is the best way to go about this?

hey hun

You're doing a great job :hug: :hug:

Have you thought about trying a nipple shield while your nips are so sore?

Hi

Your doing excedllent hun!! Sammystar i was gonna say the same thingi had to use one for weeks after i had Kiara and it worked great a little odd at first but you get used to it :)

Hi Jo,

It sounds like things have turned a corner for you - that's fantastic. Try and get her back on the boob soon regardless of the pain - they will harden up soon, I promise.

You're not selfish if you give a bottle at night, but I might wait before you introduce this (until 4-5 weeks) because of nipple confusion as detailed earlier in the thread - if you want to do this from the start, then perhaps you should cup or syringe feed the milk. It also doesn't necessarily mean your LO will sleep longer if she has formula (but she may do). My DD is breastfed, but an amazing sleeper anyway.

You are doing an wonderful job - we've all been there, its so tough - you are doing brilliantly.

Valentine Xxx

as said above really. perhaps if yopu concentrate on sleepimg when she does today you may be ok to feed tonight.. try to perseveer jo.. coz ur milk will come in today and she will be satisfied quicker than last night.. also i have this bottle.. maybe an idea to send sam to get it.. ed has no nipple confusion with it.. make sure he gets stage 1

http://www.mothercare.com/gp/product/B0 ... 1&mcb=core

happy_chick said:
UPDATE

Well I defo spoke too soon today as shes not been off my boob all night and has defo mastered the art of sucking... My nips are mega sore now tho and can bear to feed her anymore so have given her a bottle and trying to sooth my nips lol. I know its not the best solution to give her a bottle but I simply cant let her suck on my boobs anymore til they are feeling a bit better :?

My aim is to breastfeed but my intention is also to feed her at night with a bottle so that she sleeps through a little better, may sound selfish but to stick with it I feel like a need some relief and that is something that OH can do when im exhausted or cud do with a break. What is the best way to go about this?

Well done hun sounds like shes doing better and your not selfish at all :hug: im sure once your BF is established you wont even need to give her the bottle.

Hi there
You're doing great hun :hug: Ask your midwife for some lansinhol cream (she can get it on prescription for you as it can be a bit expensive.) It worked well for me. :hug: :hug:

Hi JO

Like the others have said, you're doing so well :hug:

I know its hard but try and persevere with the feeding, the pain litterally lasts a few seconds to a minute max, if she's latched on right whic she sounds like she getting the hang of now the pain will go when she is actualy feeding.

You need to get your feeding pattern established and not confuse her wityh a bottle this early if possible, its up tp you though, please don't feel i'm telling you what to do.

I know a friend who breast feeds and used these too, they're boobie bottles, great thing, so like a real boob and should get her confused , the 1st link is just for pictures and the 2nd link is the website all about them

http://passthechocolate.blogspot.com/20 ... booby.html

www.adiri.com

hope this helps

babyroo said:
Hi there
You're doing great hun :hug: Ask your midwife for some lansinhol cream (she can get it on prescription for you as it can be a bit expensive.) It worked well for me. :hug: :hug:

I agree, this stuff is amazing for cracked, sore nipples. You don't have to wash it off for babba to BF either. I got mine through my midwife too :D

Stick with it, you are nearly there!

My milks come in I think as im starting to feel like pammy lol

Yeah been using purelan 100 which is same as those other creams, its helped a little. Im really really sore today and not sure im gunna be able to keep feeding her with boobs cos think they need to heal a bit... whats best way to do things, express then give her that maybe?

my mw told me i couldnt express until 4weeks after having amber, when tried it just didnt work.

I expressed, cup fed, bottle fed, breastfed, used nipple shields from day 1 :D and now Ryan doesn't mind feeding in any of the ways instead of refusing any particular one.

Jo H_C, breastfeeding really is fab, but tough in the first few days and I know how you feel. The midwife in hospital bruised my nipple by trying to hand express me, and I had to keep feeding off it (agony). I was taking paracetamols, getting OH to talk to me, anything possible to take my mind off the pain. But it's true what people say that it really does get easier at about day 10 or 2 weeks ish.

I'd suggest nipple shields and avent nipple cream (or any other) but some people don't like to use nipple shields so early on in case it causes confusion for the baby? I started using them the day I got home and Ryan's been fine. They are to prevent nipple cracking and soreness but I use them for flat nipples. They're fab anyway and I've rarely been sore using them.

Keep persevering chick, just think after such a long pregnancy etc, in the grand scheme of things, what's another few days of discomfort. That's the only way I got through it, believe me I was so close to giving up several times it hurt that bad, but when you keep using the painful boob, it gets better. Breastmilk and the babies saliva have some sort of antiseptic in them, so the more you use it the better it will get. Grab some paracetamols and some nipple shields xxxx :D good luck chick xxxx

Like leckershell, Isaac had cup, teat and nipple from about day3 and he's never been bothered which, as long as food came out of it :lol:
They made me express in hospital and it was soul destroying because naff all was coming out and it made me feel useless.
Its not advisable to express yet, don't know why they advise it, so expressing ay not work, but don't be down on yourself if it doesn't :hug:
I BF and formula fed Isaac from week1 and felt selfish and horrible but it worked for us, do what works for you.
I never had sore nipples so cannot relate to that part, but I do know its important to do what makes you happy, your LO will benefit from that more than how or what they are fed, if that makes sense, without sounding harsh, as I don't mean it that way, I'll shush now.
Very best wishes happy_chick :hug: :hug: :hug:

Brilliant! I agree with everytig the others say!
If your nipples get too sore (I remember that feeling well mine had chunks out of them and bled - ouch) try the shields they worked wonders for me and never had a problem since! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back