Is anyone else.......

WILMAFLINSTONE

Reaction score
......dual feeding?

I posted a while ago about the fact that I have to top Matilda up after Ive breast fed her at the time she was feeding from one breast then the other side at the next feed.

Now shes having both breasts plus a top up at times!

She was weighed again on wed and shes 10lb 4oz and HV over the moon with that so BF is working but I am still having to top her up several times a day.

Most of the time she will feed from both sides and still be hungry, so I try and put her back on but she gets sooo irrate she wont settle then I end up topping her up with ready to use carton milk.

HV said this is completely fine to do and as long as Matilda is feeding and gaining weight then carry on doing what Im doing....

So I was wondering is anyone else dual feeding??? And whats your views on dual feeding?

Im not knocking those who chose to bottle feed but I feel pretty bad about topping her up when I am able to BF but cant get her settled enough to get her back on at every feed....

Thanks in advance xxx

Wow! I haven't ever had to use more than one boob at a time with Lizzie and I find that hard enough at times, so you are doing great!
I don't want to offend but are you definitely sure it's proper hunger and not just greediness? Also if babies have wind they can show it using 'hunger' signs sometimes. Then again if she was overeating she would probably puke it back up so if it's staying down then she obviously needs it!

No advice really, but don't feel bad about giving formula as well if that's what she needs, you're doing the best you can for your baby :)

How much formula does she have for a top up?

Hi PP shes having anywhere between 2 and 4oz on top of both boobs....xxx

Hi Becky....no offence taken lol but yes I spoke to HV about it and she also highlighted that babies mistake wind for hunger signs so I took this into account winded her for longer etc and tbh shes a pumper more than a burper and is always pumping lol but she is still wanting more. She keeps most of it down unless some comes back up with the odd burp but yeah could still be windy rather than hungry.... How do you tell tho lol!

She was only on one boob at first then HV said to try her on the other side if shes still hungry etc etc....

Will keep yous updated and hopefully someone else may have had same saituation and may be able to shed some light on it xxx

Well I never know how much she is getting when I bf her but when I express a typical amount can be about 3 oz....so if shes getting that off me then having another 2 to 4 oz then yeah.... The formular instructions say she should be on five 5oz feeds a day for her age and weight....so who knows!

Im at a loss as to whats best but HV has assured me that dual feeding as Im doing is perfectly fine.

I am trying to get back to exclusively bfeeding her but whether I succeed or not remains to be seen xx

I'm sort of the same at the moment. I was exclusively bf until I got mastitis and gave some bottles. So now I need to build up my supply again but not sure how since it hurts when hd sucks for too long.

no direct expereince hon but i used fenugreek when I felt my supply was low and I couldnt satisfy LO. Maybe give that a try and also lots of ladies on here swear by oats for helping supply. x

Wilma maybe expressing after each feed will make your body think baby is still feeding & will make more milk?

Thanks Pp and minchin.....oh will try that minchin and Ive been having oats daily and must admit I have felt that my supply has slightly increased and yeah PP I will also try expressing more and try and trick my body into thinking im still feeding xxx

I had to top up Lucy from day one. My milk supply was delayed due to c section then I couldn't satisfy her and she was always hungry, I didn't top up after each feed to begin with but after several weeks it was usually top up every feed and I was the same as you both boobs then bottle . Lucy is a very hungry baby and I dual feed fir six weeks and now she is bottle only. I was constantly feeding on the boob and tbh it was starting to get me down . Hope lo manages to settle with feeds soon xxx

I've had problems with my milk supply. I had loads when my milk came in but was given sime duff advice when we started demand feeding Ella - I was told to stop expressing but because she is kittle she can't yet get the hind milk so she took less than was there and my milk went down and down until there was almost none there. We are trying to reestablish my milk supply with the help of the scbu nurses. Their plan which seems to be working is - feed from breast at every feed, top Ella up with expressed milk via a bottle (I have a huge stock from my early expressing days) and then express until each breast is empty. This should trick my body into thinking Ella needs more milk than is being supplied and my milk should increase. We started this on Thu and I was told it takes about 48 hours to work - I can now feel my breasts starting to get more full with milk so it seems to be working. So if you do want to increase your milk try expressing until empty after every feed. Sorry for long post x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back