Iron Tablets and Fybogel together?

JJ Mum

Reaction score
Hi girls,

Im anemic, so the docs said to take the iron tablets again a few weeks back, and I gave up , as every time I took one, I got super bunged up, even with taking fybogel and got bit tum cramps and felt bloated and full all the time so stoped taking them, and back to trying to get iron from diet.

well I have been so tired and sleepy lately. by the time I get to work and log on for my 930 start, I am sleepy again! So I decided to take a tablet a day and also take fybogel every day at the same time. seems to be working okish so far, only 3 days mind!

Does anyone know if taking fybogel at exactly the same time will mean you don't absorb the same iron at all? :lol:

Last edited:
have you tried lactulose? takes a day or two to clear you out but if you pre-empt it it might be easier to manage?

I think I need the iron tablets too, where do you get them from, just the health food shops?

Well I got mine when I had my MC and blood transfusions, but didn't use the prescription as it was more expensive that way! so over counter at chemists, but you can get them in supermarkets, but they told me I needed the 200mg tablets, which is higher than the supermarket ones, as there just RDA.

I didnt get bloods done at my booking in, despite me telling her I was sure I needed more iron, and then asked again at 17 weeks , and she took my booking in bloods done then, and then the docs called agains 3 weeks later at 20 weeks, they say oh you need iron tablets!!! (like I knew that already, but didn't want to take them if they were not the right ones still or right strength)

I would ask them to check , before taking strong tablets, and at least you know your taking the right ones (there are lots of different types of iron you see ).

Have you tried liquid iron stuff? Mervs mum recommended it to me and it didn't bung me upbat all! If you take your iron tabs with orange juice tho it should be ok with fybogel!

That is so weird you've asked that jj as I was wondering that last night after I read your suggestion on my post! I don't want to get really constipated and stop taking them as low iron can cause complications with bleeding in labour and being so close to my due date I don't want that!

Where can you get liquid iron from?

Also I hate drinking stuff like fybogel, do they do a tablet form or is there a tablet form of something similar I can take instead?

i got mine in tescos! i think something like complan is fibre too and thats choc flavour and stuff! orr wheatbran/germ (i think) you can sprinkle on cereal and that helps! although that could be bollocks cos its just a vague memory i've got of it lol

Have you tried liquid iron stuff? Mervs mum recommended it to me and it didn't bung me upbat all! If you take your iron tabs with orange juice tho it should be ok with fybogel!

I was going to say exactly the same. I take the liquid iron sachets - Spatone - they don't taste good but don't bung me up!

Thanks girls, I'm going to get some of that liquid stuff then,as struggling today, looks like three days iron and even with 3 days fybogel, has finally bunged me up again! I thought it was too good to be true at last!

I will pop out and look for some of that liquid stuff on tuesday, and I really need to get my energy back
Helen I would do the same then, let me know how you get on

My midwife suggested that Spatone to me last week as it helps iron levels without the side affects of the tablets, but im yet to open the box :s she also suggested dried apricot's to help up iron levels :)

I had my full bloods done yesterday and GP rang this morning to say I'm aneamic so have started on iron tablets twice a day, will see how long before I bung up :(
At least I know why I have been so tired and feeling out of breath and crappy lately, lets hope the tablets make a difference.

I quit my pregaday cuz it bunged me up, so glad I'm not anemic now though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back