Private room or not?

in our hospital you deliver in a private room and if all is well stay there for the 6hours until they send you packing! If I need to stay in over night and there's a private room I will ask for it (even if you had to pay), don't want to listen to anyone elses baby crying to be honest or other Mum's snoring :lol:

Hi ladies, I wanted to be on the ward , and got given a private room due to the phototherapy lights.

I hated it! It was so isolating, I love to chat and bounce of other mums, share breakfast with all our babies, and not get breakfast and all other meals served in bed, never even leavigng the room for the loo as you have your own.

Perhaps if your on a short stay it would be nice, on a longer than a day stay, horrible to be honest.

My room had no windows so it was like a sauna and so I had to have door open anyway , baby was too sleepy to feed with the wamth - no windows apparently due to risk of suicide in private room without nurses being able to monitor you.

More sleep? oh no, nurses , cleaners, docs, paedatricians, tea ladys, drugs rounds, breaksfast servers, bed changers at 6am! people to check your BP/temps, etc all pop in your room , one every 30 mins it felt like -all through night!! so they leave all local lights on to enable them to work, and hence your room is still lit up like a bonfire all night, good job you won't have time for sleep with new baby , ha ha

Sorhry to be so negative, I hate private rooms! Go for home birth ladies.....

My ward experience wasn't as bad as that, especially at night. The midwife would come round every so often to check how the breastfeeding was going. And it was all darkened but we all had a light each if we wanted to see.

All being well I'll be in one night. If it was longer I wouldn't want a private room either.

Does every hospital offer a private room?
I
Does anyone know if kings college does? I don't know if I wanna be on the ward after a LNG tiring labour. I like peace n quiet.

hey hun, no kings dont have private rooms. but the ward wasnt that noisy or busy ( well 3 years ago).
the hospital im going to this time has private rooms, but you cant book before hand

I had a private room as the twins needed phototherapy and they couldnt fit two incubators on the ward. I loved my own room whilst my visitors were in or whilst breastfeeding but I found it very lonely and isolating at other times. Pro's and con's I suppose xx

How do you find out if your hospital offers private rooms?x

I was thinking about paying for a private room but some woman said you can get kicked out if there's someone who needs it more than you. Is that true? x

My midwife told me i will be in a private room and OH will be able to stay over with me :) I think its a fairly new midwifery unit though x

Think it just depends on the facilities at your hospital - worth checking out with your midwife xx

Our hospital has private rooms for rent :lol: BUT you only allowed them if they are not needed for anyone else. So you will be chucked out.

Last edited:
I like being on the ward, it can be lonely in a room to yourself, but my hospital has changed now and you have private rooms they even do double rooms with double bed so your husband can stay over too, I may sound daft but i like the company of other ladies even if one did snore last time lol, but i dont get that choice anymore, if only in for a ew hour like i was with my 4th then i not too fussed but if had to stay in or a while i prefer ward.

I had no idea we could get the option, is this the same everywhere? :-o

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back