Pregnancy Dissertation...

jojokt

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm a third year Dietetics student who is really interested in the effects of nutrition during pregnancy. As part of my dissertation I am considering two options: looking into the 'ideal' pregnancy supplement or developing a recipe book designed to optimise the nutritional intake of pregnant women.

I'm looking for the advice of any one who is or has been pregnant.

Do/did you take a 'pregnancy supplement?

Would you use or purchase a recipe book aimed specifically at eating during pregnancy? IT would include helping with morning sickness and other symptoms as well as focusing on specific nutrients which are commonly deficient in pregnant women or important for the development of a healthy baby.

Any opinions or advice would be very gratefully received!

Thank you in advance!

Hello
Yes I use a pregnancy vitamin because my midwife advised me to. I think my diet is really good. Lits of veg, fruit, protein, calcium, nuts, fish, eggs etc as I researched it on the web. My midwife didn't ask about my diet and just told me to take the vitamin as 'the baby takes all the vitamins'. I didn't challenge her as I dont know how much of everything I need.
I woyld much prefer a natural healthy diet without a vitamin. So yes I would buy the book.
Thanks x

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your feedback!

I'm not qualified at this point to give any advice but I expect some supplementary nutrients would be required regardless as the amount needed would not be achievable through diet alone, for example folic acid. The aim of the book would not be to replace all supplements but to get the most out of meals, and to help if women are struggling due to their symptoms. It's also to promote the importance of good nutrition throughout pregnancy, and how nutrients can be best obtained.

Thanks! x

Last edited:
I have next to zero symptoms. Have good weight and BMI so MW didnt advise on diet just a list of whats good for iron.

Im taking vitamin d and folic acid.

xxxx

Symptoms are so variable for everyone... I know some people who have suffered with sickness which has really impacted on their eating!

Although it sounds like you're well set-up and know what you're doing, would you use a recipe book specifically intended for pregnant women? Before I started researching I knew nothing, but it's become clear that there is a lot to look at!

x

I take a vitamin supplement, but then I always have, I just switched to pregnancy specific ones when I was pregnant with my first.

I wouldn't buy a pregnancy specific cookbook because all the guidance says you just need to eat a normal balanced diet and I believe we do that anyway. We are vegetarian and cook most of our meals from scratch and already have a bookcase full of cookbooks so plenty of inspiration.

The trouble with giving guidance for dealing with pregnancy symptoms is that everyone and every pregnancy is different. With my first I totally went off carbs in the first trimester (along with anything citrus) and became wheat sensitive in the 3rd. This time round all I wanted to eat in the first trimester were carbs and I've not really gone off anything. I've just gone with my body and trusted it to tell me what I need.

I wouldn't buy a cookbook as I just try to make sure I eat all the things I should and add them to what I'd normally eat. As for pregnancy symptoms I really only had head ache. I did take vitamins but that's because your advised to take folic acid before hand and up to 12 weeks. I then continued with them as mw said if I could then it would be better. If I didn't I would just need a vitamin d one due to lack of sun. Pregnancy is probably a hard one, as we all say every pregnancy is different even if someone has more than one child the next pregnancy can be completely different. Good luck.

Last edited:
Yeah my first pregnancy I vommed for 9m. Citrus set it off big time.

No I wouldnt buy a cookbook. So much online now.

xxxx

I would buy a cookbook, i love cooking and have loads of cookbooks. There are pregnancy meal planners online but i personally prefer a physical copy. Im taking pregnancy vitamins but honestly I havent ate proper meals in weeks because ive been so nauseated so im glad for the vitamins.

I take pregnacare supplement everyday and would buy a cook book as I enjoy cooking unfortunately morning sickness makes me stay as far from the kitchen as I can get but my husband would cook it for me

Thank you so much for your feedback!

I'm not qualified at this point to give any advice but I expect some supplementary nutrients would be required regardless as the amount needed would not be achievable through diet alone, for example folic acid.

Folic acid is the synthetic form of the naturally occuring folate.

Most people lack the ability to convert Folic Acid into a usable nutrient and instead it builds up in the bloodstream and has been linked to adverse outcomes (you should google it)

I chose not to take pre-natals for that reason. Plus the other vitamins in them are not very bio-available so most is passed in the urine rather than being of benefit.

I would have been interested in recipes though. In the first trimester I went off spinach but made sure I still ate broccoli and other leafy greens instead. I did get a bit bored though and was also not keen on gravy etc. So having some new recipes that packed as many nutrients as possible into a meal would have been handy.

I'm vegetarian too (and dairy free, I have hens so I eat their eggs occasionally but otherwise my diet is more or less vegan). I feel I get plenty of veg and fruit and aren't lacking anything.

Last edited:
Even though I am very interested in nutrition, I do take a supplement - but I take a raw food prenatal brand, which like Phoenix85 mentioned contains folate rather than the synthetic folic acid and is made entirely from natural sources. I also take pregnancy DHA and a probiotic.

When not pregnant I usually eat low carb for health reasons anyway - but with my last pregnancy all I craved was carbs, same whilst I was breastfeedling actually, so my idea of 'healthy' eating pretty much went out of the window. This pregnancy I'm trying to be much stricter and funnily enough i'm finding that things like veggies are way more appealing to me and i'm not so desperate for cake every minute of every day.

I would not buy a cookbook as most contain a proportion of carbs that I personally would find unhealthy. I am very interested in Paleo pregnancies for eg. and so I tend to google for info and ideas on that.

I take a supplement formulated for pregnancy.
I'm too lazy to cook properly so probably wouldn't buy a recipe book.

I took folic acid alone in the beginning, and an NHS vitamin supplement since 12 weeks. (I live in Scotland, and I am aware our health care system is different to England & Wales)

I am now 35 weeks, and have recently been prescribed iron, as my iron stores are below the recommended threshold. This to be honest was not unexpected, as I an borderline anemic anyway, so it was only a matter of time.

I personally wouldn't buy a cook book. I have a terrible carb loaded diet, and I am really fussy,but I am of normal weight, and healthy otherwise, and have only put on baby weight throughout my pregnancy. Midwife is delighted with how its all going, and I wouldn't want to change the way I eat to something that wouldn't suit me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back