Exercise in Pregnancy

Geminiblue

Reaction score
Hi All

I hope you dont mind me gatecrashing your forum Im not yet pregnant but would like some advice of exercise during pregnancy. I run apprx 10-20 miles a week not breaking any speed records or anything, have been doing this for about 8 mnths now. Does anyone here exercise during pregnancy? any advice tips etc? If I am preg now it takes me a couple of weeks to get a docs appointment so I need to get heads up before it happens.

Thanks very much
xxx

Hi didnt want to read and run but if you look in the hobbies and Interests section someone recently started a thread on running i believe that might help answer your question. I'm a horse rider but i had to give up as soon as i found out i was pregnant as the riding school wouldn't insure me!!!

I didn't want to read and run either.
I was always told by the midwife you could carry on doing what you usually do unless it was a very dangerous sport
and you don't put in or try new ones.
Obviously you'll need to keep an eye on it and don't over do it. Also remember that when you are pregnant you get warmer easier
so you might want to cut your running time down or hoe many miles you do each run so that you don't over heat&pass out.

I was always told you can carry on as usualy but you might start getting tired quicker. xxx

I stopped running as soon as I found out i was pregnant - I was training for a marathon and doing approx 2 hours of cardio each session. I knew I wouldn't be able to take it easy so I now stopped the running.

Now I do 3-4 spin classes every week, so about 45-60 mins of cardio each time. I had a chat about it with my midwife last week and she said that as long as you are sensible and listen to your body, you will know how long you can keep running or exercising for.

Hope this helps :)

I think key thing is listening to your body and if you feel exhausted, slow the pace.

Nothing stopping you power walking. My gym instructor told me to stop running at the end of tri 1, but could carry on power walking, which to be honest is nearly, if not fast than some people jog, i go on the cross trainer too. Also do Pilates, horse ride, but getting to the stage i might turn my boy away for an early winter. I do need to keep myself fit, as i do keep the horses at home so i will have to be looking after them through the winter, feeding and mucking out.

Have to admit, if i haven't been to the gym for 4 or 5 days i do feel even more exhausted, the gym does give me an extra boost as long as i go regularly.

Just go careful and be extra switched on to listening to your body.

well i heard exercise is really important in pregnancy also keeps you nice and healthy and in shape. I have done swimming since i found out i was pregnant and am now 36 weeks and still going although i get tired more easier i still continue to go every week. The midwife says its fine and really good for me and you can go all the way until 40 weeks. Not really sure on the running though never wanted to read and run xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back