Pray for my friend :(

LaurenMM

Reaction score
Hi All,

Basically one of the few good friends I have made since moving to NI is exactly one week behind me in her pregnancy. She went into hospital on Thursday cuz her blood pressure was really high and was given a steroid injection just in case they needed to induce her. The plan was for her to stay for 24-48 hours to be monitored, now shes gotta stay in there till the baby is born as her BP wont correct itself :( also, her baby is measuring small/underweight, shouldn't our MW have noticed this?!

I just feel terrible for her, she was told she may not be able to have kids, took ages to conceive and shes stuck in a horrible hospital for god knows how long so she's absolutely terrified now needless to say. In a way I'm glad shes staying in there because she works way too hard (she works as a carer and often does 12 hour shifts!!) and shes in the best place, but it must be so boring and scary in there :(

I'm gonna go visit her and try to cheer her up, what do you guys reckon I should take her? Was just gonna take some mags and some chocolate maybe? xx

:hugs: for your friend

That sounds like a terrible experience. I bet she's really scared.

Magazines & chocolates sounds good, maybe some juice too? & you can always ask when you go if she needs anything else for next time.

At least she's not actually in labour if that makes sense, might be miserable being in hospital, but she's in the right place.

Maybe her bump was growing fine & thats why MW didn't notice, but actual baby is too small. How did they find out he/she is small, did they do a scan?

Hope she's ok.

:)

Yeah and I was thinking some lovely smelling shower gels or something? Yeah I'm glad shes in there simply because its the best place for her to be at the moment and if she was sent home she'd be so paranoid - as anyone would really.

I'm not a doctor by any means but shes only a week behind me and she hardly has a bump at all! In fact, she just looks bloated, I cant see an actual round bump if you know what I mean? Whereas I have had a nice round bump forming since about 20 weeks. I know everyones bumps are different shapes and sizes but everytime she got measured at the MW's she said it was fine but I was thinking theres no bump how is that fine?! But I'm not a doctor :p I think they did a scan yeah but I'm not 100% sure. I went to hospital after I fell over a few weeks ago and they did a scan and they took babys head, tummy and leg measurements and it estimates a weight from that. So I would assume she did have a scan xx

If she's 31 weeks then you'd think the MW would have noticed baby was small. I measured small with my first & was scanned alot, i'm sure that was picked up around the 30 week mark.

I think baby is actually fully formed by around 37 weeks? If so then she only has to hold out for another 5/6 weeks.

Shower gel sounds nice or some nice body moisturiser/lip balm - I know hospitals always end up drying out skin.

Our MW is useless to be honest :( I'll find out more when I visit her. I suppose it does help that shes in the final stretch, it couldve been so much worse if she was still in the early stages :( jst dunno what to say to her really, just hope I can cheer her up a bit!! x

Try not to feel akward when you go, just be yourself & chat about what you normally chat about. If she wants to talk about whats going on then she will. If I was in that situation i'd love my friends to bring me some sort of normality!!

Oh my days! She's literally just text me saying she had a baby girl via c-section! Shes gonna be in the special unit for a while, theyre guessing shes 3lbs 8oz at the moment but thats to be confirmed! Omg last I heard was from her husband saying shes just gonna stay in hospital n see what happens and now its all over and done with. God shes so brave bless her!! x

Hope you friend and lo are ok, at least now lo is out they might be able to control bp a bit better x

Yeah she said her BP just wouldnt settle so they decided to do a c-section to give them both the best chance. I really hope they'll both be ok. I didnt know what to say to her! I said congrats on the girl (she was team yellow) and that Im sure she'll be fine and shes in the best place etc and just said if her and her husband need anything or want any help at all just to let me and my OH know (my OH is good friends with her OH too :p) I'm scared of saying the wrong thing, she seems hopeful though, shes just txt me back saying she'll send some pics when she can! xx

I think congrats is the right thing to say :hug: In fact, I think what you've said is perfect.

I hope that they're both ok. Keep us posted.

xxx

I've heard of this situation before. They have done the best thing for both mother n baby. They can monitor each one separately now. It's harder to when baby still in tum. Wishing your friend all the best and congrats on the girl!xx

Hope her little girl is ok and gets to go home soon. She might still appreciate a visit in the next few days - its rubbish being stuck in hospital after a c-section and even if you just popped in to see her for 20 minutes i'm sure it would be a nice break from the drudgery of hospital.

Really hope your friend and her baby girl are ok. I'm sure she would appreciate a visit from you soon x

Aaaww congrats on her little girl but sorry they are in this situation. My friend had exactly the same thing with her first and her boy was tiny at just over 3lb. He's now 8 and in 13 year old clothes :shock:. They are both in the best place and situation, much better than they were before xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wishing your friend and her little girl all the best, hope they are both right as rain and out of hospital in no time xxx

hi lauren.

if u dont mind me asking, which hospital do you attend? ive chosen to go to the royal in belfast.

You sound like a fab friend. I think the others are right, a visit will cheer her up no end when she's ready for it - she'll probably be in for a while so will appreciate some visitors. Also, 3lbs something is quite a good weight so fingers crossed. My friend had full blown eclampsia at 26 weeks and delivered a 1lb 6oz girl who is just so super now you would never know.

I know it sounds really silly but I find a pack of cards always helps pass the time - I would have been lost without one on holiday and on long journeys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back