Possibly a touchy subject......

Thanks for all your honest answers ladies!

I worked with DS kids and adults years ago when I was a nursery nurse and I have to say I agree with you SL it was one of the most rewarding jobs Ive had!
I personally would have no problem at all if my baby was born with DS and I truly mean that!
I just think DH was concerned tho that with me being in a wheelchair and then possibly having DS child that we would struggle with some aspects! Hes not had any experience of kids with special needs so prb just nervous in anticipation but tbh I dont think he would want us to do anything even if I had tests and they came back high risk!

And thanks again Bead....ha ha pretty unbeleivable to me at times lol xxx

I am 31 and was asked about the tests. We have decided to go ahead and have them, just so we know. To have the screening at 16 weeks.

i had the whole downs test because i thought that was just the norm what everyone was offered, im 20. so had it done, and ive got a 1 in 36000 chance of my baby having downs. just did a measurement of baby and a blood test. apparently if it comes back high risk, they do further more specific tests. x

i didnt have any testing done but was offered it i dscssed it with my midwife and she said unless ou are prepared to have the amnio done then there isnt a point of having the blood test and the nucheal fold check as both can come back high but baby may not have downs syndrome so her point of view was you would be worrying your whole pregnancy for possibly nothing!

i work with ppl with learning disabilities and severe challenging behaviour so i wouldnt be phased by things like downs syndrome
i think its personal choice and i do understand why some ppl would take the tests xx

i didnt have the test, like others have said if it came back high risk i wouldnt have done anything else and i read in my nhs book my midwife gave me 1 in 5 babies born with DS are missed cases that come back low risk anyway so not much point in having it personally anyway.

I had double and triple tests in both my pregnancies, i'm in my twenties and it's a standard procedure here.

I don't know what i would do to be honest, i know that i would devote my whole life to look after my ill child but what would happen when i die?
I'm not talking just about Downs Syndrome,i always worry about milions of other things that could come up and how could i leave my voulnerable child on his/her own? :(

I have my 12 week scan this week and I have still havent decided whether to have the tests. I am 26. The info booklet that was given to me, just confused me. Hubby has yet to give me his opinion.

Hey ladies thanks for all your replies! Me and DH had a talk the other night and weve decided that we wont take any of the tests! We know we def wouldnt have the amnio so like a couple of you have said its pron pointless getting the other two first! We also have decided that even if we were told our baby was going to be born with DS we would still go ahead with the pregnancy and love he or she all the same!

Rbryan Im totally with you on that one...Ive also worked with special needs adult and children who have a wide range of illneses and learning difficulties and DS isnt something I find particularly daunting either and I suppose whats meant to be will be!

For me I would feel its just another thing to worry about.....xxx

I had the test, hubby and I always agreed that we would have all tests so we knew what to expect, luckily everything came back fine. I always used to think what will be will be and we will deal with it when it comes along but oh persuaded me it is better to know than not too.

Hey KL glad all was ok with your tests!

Yeah I think some people prefer to know others are ok not knowing...if DH wanted me to have the tests I would but he said he def wouldnt want me to have to amnio so we just agreed to not have any of them!

Its in the hands of the higher powers I suppose lol xxx

I am still waiting to get my hubby's opinion, didnt see him last night so will pin him down tonight.

Ha its great isnt it when we have to make an appointment with them lol! Good luck!! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back