Babies with Downs Syndrome.......

hi jj mum i think its all down to a persons personal circumstances like you said you dont want to leave the responsability to your other children which is fair enough i think untill you are put in that situation you cant for sure say that you would or wouldnt terminate

Just had my nuchal test today. Because I'm 39 it's something I am concerned about. The measurement was only 1.1mm, but now have to wait for bloods. I am totally split in knowing what I'd do and totally understand JJ Mum, who I respect for being so honest. X

Hey ladies thanks for all your valuable and honest replies and sorry for my delay in replying been having a right time with relapse and havent been on my laptop for days and cant reply via my mobile on here!!

Anyhoo....I can completely see everyones point of view!

And like JJ I agree with regards to sibling. I would find it hard to carry on knowing that my DD would be left responsible for caring for a sibling should that situation arise and like I say I would carry on regardless but in the cold light of day...who knows what we would all do faced with the reality of it all!

Weve got our 20 week scan next wed and although we opted to not have any of the downs screening tests obv were praying everything else is ok too but time will tell ehh!!

Its a hard decision Im sure and one I hope none of us have to make xxx

Good luck for your scan Wilma. Looking forward to the pics. Hope you're feeling better. X

Hi Nanc,
I am feeling so much better than I was thank you....starting to feel human again so along with my injections kicking in and helping Im also hoping this relapse is heading off now! yeyyyyyy!!

Thanks were really looking forward to it and not as nervous as we were for our 12 week scan as I can feel baby moving daily now so its a relief! Yes pics will be here as soon as we get home on wed lol xxx

Another old resurrected post for advertising purposes, sigh...

You can use the little ! red triangle sign at the top right of the post to report these to the moderators. Which I'm going to do right now, same as I did with the last one I found the other day Lxx

If you're welcoming a new baby with Down syndrome into your family, you probably have many questions and concerns. Read more here: http://motherhow.com/down-syndrome-in-baby-causes-symptoms-diagnosis-treatment/

You can use the little ! red triangle sign at the top right of the post to report these to the moderators. Which I'm going to do right now, same as I did with the last one I found the other day Lxx

Ahh, that's how you do it! I was looking for the 'report post' thingy and couldn't find it. I have also reported

Personally we did the initial test at 12 weeks, so that we would have half an idea. We never intended to terminate or get further tests if the results came back as high risk, but it would have meant come labour day it wouldn't be such a shock.

It's hard to say, as our results came back low risk, but I think it was nice to be able to be partly prepared.

I don't know why it's such a touchy subject. I discussed it with friends who had children just to get a sense of if we should even bother getting the original test done.

Hey I don't have experience in this but I do wprk in a special needs school and have spoken to parents who both knew and didn't know till they had the baby. All said it would not have changed their mind. I personally would have the test just so I could prepare myself and get lots of sensory stuff ect. I also work with adults that have special needs and have to say some can lead fully independent lives. I know 2 brothers who have ds and live together they pay their bills, do the shopping ect... Both have girlfriends to that stay there few times a week. I also know a few autistic adults who live on their own, two have a helper who just comes 1 a week to check in and see if their ok and a bit of company.
I know some people with ds will need a life time of support however there are some who can manage. I work with one lad who is 21 his parents have mothered him all his life doing everything for him and now he can't do anything for himself and as they get older they realise that they did wrong. He will never ever be able to do anything on his own as his not had to. Another parent at school who had a few kids treats her kids the same and he is so much more independent.
No matter what you will love your child and your be a great parent x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back