Planning a wedding.....

As you may know, Mark propsed to me on Valentines day and obviously I said yes :D

What I want to know is, when should I start to plan the wedding? Pleople keep asking me when it will be and we hope summer 2008 (don't think we could afford it before then although I'd like to do it next year if we could) but that's over 2 years away yet! Is it far too early to think about booking a venue etc? I know the sooner you do it the cheaper it can be, but is 2years a bit too soon?

Also, where the heck do I start? Do I book venue for the ceremony first and work around that for everything else???
We would like either an outdoors wedding or a castle wedding, but it is expensive and we are on a bit of a budget (as well as the fact I don't see the point in spending an awful lot of money on one day). Mark wasnts to give me a fairytale wedding and to have whatever I want but is it possible on a budget?

I'm sure Steph was talking about this before but I can't find the link. :roll:

Oh and another thing (sorry), as we will propbably have to take out a loan to have the do, how do I know whow much to borrow if I don't plan yet?! To save for it would take forever.

Thank you I advance girls, I know you always come to the rescue when I'm having a blonde day!

My advice Sami is to PLAN IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!
Ive hardly done a thing and we get married in august, im going to be pulling my hair out by the end of the month.
Tankett gave some good advice to someone, poss Steph?? it was on the 'off topic' so maybe you could look back and see if you could find it.
If you want the perfect venue then id start searching now, and book as soon as you can. You can do so many things on a budget utilise your talented family and friends and familyfriends! Ive saved thousands probably. got free photos, cake, bridesmaid dress, invitations, order of service and favours.
There are lots of ideas on ebay for favours and stationary.
Our biggest expense has been hiring the lads suits, will be my dress (have to start looking for one very soon, they need at least 4 months...shit, ill still be a fatty!! LOL) and the catering.

Give me a shout if you need any particular info or web sites, ill do my best to help you out.
Many Congratulations to you both!!!

sami, book the venue and the reception now!

2 years isnt to soon to book, you will be suprised at how soon places get booked up, i was very lucky to get the places i wanted for my wedding.

xxx

Hi Sami,

Yep, I agree with the others. I booked the hotel and church about 16 months before my wedding (we got engaged a month before that) and some of the venues we had a look at were already getting booked up for that year and the next!!! :shock:

There's nothing wrong at all with being organised and if you know the costs of eveything it does make it easier to save for it.

Castle wedding are v.expensive ( I would have loved to married in one) as for an out doors wedding, do you know anyone with a largeish garden so you could put up a marquee? My friend did this and it was lovely, also if you did that you could always do the catering yourself to cut down the cost.

One thing I do advise is to start looking at everything now and get several quotes for each thing. It really can make a huge difference. For example my Wedding cake cost £325 but for similar sort of designs some companies were charging about £6-800 :shock:
Here it is - sorry, I just loved my cake!! = (Sorry I can't make it any smaller! :oops:)

Aug2004045.jpg

You could make the invites/order of service/table decorations etc yourself to keep the cost down. Once you start shopping around you'll be surprised how many corners can be cut!

Hope this helps a bit.

Nicki.x :D

Wow cool cake!

Cheers Steph - I knew it was somewhere!

As for the castle idea - think it's gonna be my back yard and a takeaway curry at this rate - it's SOOOOOOOO expensive!! I wanna do it properly but try not to spend too much but I don't think the two mix!

Think the reception will be at a pub or something - seems easier and probably cheaper?

My wedding was planned in 2 weeks!

I got back from Thailand and we had to get married quick so OH could get a work visa!

We got married in a registry office, and it was really surprised how nice it was!
Our recepton was a big meal for 40 people and then we went to the hotel bar. It was simple but a lovely day anyway.

Sami, I would take this time you have to really shop around for great deals. If you see a bargain venue or something you can snap it up but at least you have plenty of time to really look.
As far as the loan goes, at first you will only need a deposit for the venue, so could you save that? or borrow it from your family maybe? I would put off getting a loan till you have to organise your dress and flowers etc.

Definately will be putting off the loan till we really really need it, we're going to save as much as poss.

I don't know why, but I just imagine a registry office wedding as me not being able to wear a traditional dress? Is that totally daft!?! Our registry office isn't a nice place though so prob why, and it's on a main road and a crappy bit of town, with BP opposite it :roll:

I thought exactly the same sami, if we did get married in a registery office im thinking that wearing a lovely big traditional dress would look silly????!!!!!!! Thats the only reason putting me off having it there as i want the dress!!!!! lol although im sure its normal and people have worn dresses etc??!! i just always see people with a nice suit or something but the only reason im getting married is to wear a nice dress!!!!! lmao ONLY JOKING of course!!!!!! :wink: :wink: :D

Sami

CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN !!!

We got married 3 years ago on Valentines day and it was the most perfect day. We married in a Registry office and it was lovely. The Office at Bletchley is an old house with so much character and lots of places to have your photos taken. We didnt spend an awful lot of money as with already having a large family we had to be careful. We bought our Cake from M & S and covered it with Fresh Flowers the effect was amazing. Dress came from a Chainstore and was under £100, as were the bridesmaids dresses. My daughters were bridesmaids my son was the best man. The most expensive cost were the flowers but they were worth every single penny, as my bouquet and the girls bouquets were fantastic (deep red to compliment their dresses) I bought my tiara offline and it was handmade and reasonable. I dressed the tables myself with a Candle on a Terrocotta base with Greenery and confetti on the tables (very effective too) The room was also decorated with Balloons which I bought from Confetti.co.uk.

What I am trying to say Sami is that you dont have to spend an awful lot of money to have a perfect day. So dont go worrying about a loan. Like the others say you can buy bits as you go along but I would definately book the Venue asap as you will be amazed how quickly they get booked.

<<<<Really excited for you

Ragna xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back