placenta delivery?

leckershell

Reaction score
Another question coming from the labour workshop I've just come back from.

Has anyone naturally let their placenta be delivered, and if so how long does it take? (heard it's quicker if Breastfeeding straight away?)

The other option is an injection to make it come out quicker... has anyone had this and does it feel weird or anything, or...?

I don't know what box to tick on my birth plan... one the one hand I'd like it all done at the same time but on the other hand I think I'd prefer it to come out naturally, but less so if it means it could take a few hours...

Also, has anyone had any complications with either method?

Sorry, it's just something I hadn't thought about until today and now I'm stuck which option to go for!

Michelle x

My birth plan never even came out the bag and I was given the injection as standard, although I wasn't bothered either way.

They do it as you've given birth and you're not even really aware.

If you decide you don't want the injection I'd prime your OH to shout loud in delivery as they probably won't ask.

I had the injection so it was delivered quickly which is what i want so i can spend all my time with baby as the sooner i can get up and have a shower the sooner i can cuddle up with baby and OH .... quicker the better for me :D

leckershell said:
Another question coming from the labour workshop I've just come back from.

Has anyone naturally let their placenta be delivered, and if so how long does it take? (heard it's quicker if Breastfeeding straight away?)

The other option is an injection to make it come out quicker... has anyone had this and does it feel weird or anything, or...?

I don't know what box to tick on my birth plan... one the one hand I'd like it all done at the same time but on the other hand I think I'd prefer it to come out naturally, but less so if it means it could take a few hours...

Also, has anyone had any complications with either method?

Sorry, it's just something I hadn't thought about until today and now I'm stuck which option to go for!

Michelle x

yeah i did with my second and it took AGES!!! about 45 minutes. I breastfed which madeitquicker but it was still too slow! have the injection its much simpler -after all the labour the last thing you want it to wait around for that to pop out!
having said that i am gladi tried it

i had the injection, i hadnt planned to but apparently id agreed to it in late labour when i was delirious in pain but i'm glad i had it now, coz it was out in 5 minutes so the sooner i could cuddle my baby again.

it did feel achey like period pain until it came out but i dont kno if it wouldve been anyway had i done it naturally.

I had the injection and to be honest I didn't feel it as I was too interested in Jake. I don't know how long it took for the placenta to be delivered but it wasn't long.

i didnt have the injection, i seem to remember it coming pretty quickly, probably about 20-30 mins after

I had the injection michelle and it it took 1 second after lo was born! which was great as i mamnaged to get all sorted out and have cuddles with lo.
Will definitely have it done again.

As above, had the injection, didnt notice a thing and you're too busy with bubs to notice, they ask you to push once and its literally a little push and thats that :)

i had the injection due to blood loss to get it out fast- didnt feel it to be honest and it came out a few mins after.

I had the injection... it felt soo weird my tummy went all wobbly afterwards :lol: :oops:

I think i had the injection. Either that or i wasn't even asked and I had problems in my last 2 births. Aimees took close to an hour, the cord snapped off and I had to have it removed manually. Nathans just took ages! Also about an hour I think and I lost a lot of blood. I was also i a lot of pain at the time but reading back through the replys it looks like that isn't very common.

I had the injection and I couldn't even remember it being delivered! Couldn't remember the injection or anything, they even took my epidural out without me knowing anything. After labour and birth I think you are so taken with the baby they could do anything to you and you wouldn't care. Also, once I was in the delivery suite my birth plan was never to be seen again.

I didn't have the injection, and I asked the MW's not to cut the chord until the placenta had been delivered. I got 20 mins of skin on skin cuddle time with my baby and no one else could touch her.

It was the most beautiful time ever, and to this day I think of it and it makes me smile.

If possible, I would recommend it to everyone :)

I got the injection, I found the placenta the sorest part of delivery... I used my gas and air for that.... but I kept trying to push which your not supposed to do. It wasn't too sore tho - I still got to cuddle Arianna during it.

I didnt even have to push out plaenta, i didnt even feel it.It came flying out and splattered on the floor :oops:

I didnt even know an injection existed!!! And this is my second pregnancy. Maybe I was just given it without realising - the placenta came out pretty quick and I didnt feel a thing. The only thing I remember about the whole placenta thing was my parents coming into see us afterwards and it was still sitting there in a dish (my dad was not impressed!!)

i had the injection and i bled a lot after..this time im going to lelt the cord stop pulsating to give the baby the blood that is intended for it..and not waste it.. then deliver it myself..you dont have to push it out... and it causes less bleeding than the injection..it usually takes up to an hour after birth and you can have the baby all to yourself untill they clamp the cord..

I wanted to wait to do it naturally but they were concerned about blood loss and as I was at home I agreed to have the injection just to get it over with. I didn't really notice it.

I've heard that if you don't cut the cord it comes out much faster (like others have said). I'm definitely going to try it naturally again next time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back