Epadrual and ventouse delivery ....

Another reason i wont have one is because of all the pain it caused in my back after the birth, and it took months to go.

mrs_tommo22 said:
Another reason i wont have one is because of all the pain it caused in my back after the birth, and it took months to go.

Awww hun :hug: :hug: I hate having backache, used to get it a lot when I was younger....drove me mad :hug:

I used to have the rather naiive view that earth mamma has - that it was like giving in and is completely unnatural.

I did all the yoga, bouncing on birthing balls, excercise I could have done in prep for a natural home birth but these things don't always work out. In the end I had a section under general anaesthetic for the safety of me and my baby - I suppose this makes me even worse as I couldn't even be bothered to stay awake for the birth of my child!! :rotfl: :rotfl:

Epidurals are modern medicine that shouldn't be seen as giving in - it depends on circumstance.

Epidurasl are essential in some labours, I didnt like mine - but i couldnt have done without iy when i had stephen due to his position!

I had an epidural and delivered naturally a few hours later after pushing for half an hour (no stitches either). The midwife put her hand on my tummy and told me when to push. I would have one next time without a doubt if I needed it as it makes it possible to enjoy your labour.

I had two natural births and one epidural. I know which I'd go for any day! :wink:

Blimey, have to say bit shocked to read natural mumma's remarks, I respect peoples opions and know every one is different but every birth is different and like most of you have said for some of us it has been the best or only option to take.
It does annoy me how people are almost made to feel like a failure because they needed help or didnt have the "perfect" labour.
I felt guilty enough that i couldnt do it on my own with my 1st but im not going to beat myself up this time, i just want to do whats best for my baby and me. Its only because i had a blood pressure prob and her head was so big that i had to have the ventouse, hopefully it wont happen this time & maybe i can do it without the old sucky cup!

for me personally each of my labours has been really different,
alex was back to back so had an epidural and delivered naturally no stitches cuts or tears.... which was great for me but i tried to get myself into the wheel chair to go to the ward and ended up in a bit of a heap

with chris i had a naturel birth with no pain relief it was all too fast to have anything

and with ryan i had meptid which i found really effective and is probably what i'll opt for this time

to be honest duds i wouldnt worry too much, every labour experience is different and whether you decide to have every drug available or nothing at all, as long as you and the baby are well then thats all that matters if small minded ppl think forcing their oppinions on others is the way to go then more fool them to be honest

I had an epidural with my 1st and I delivered normaly with no problems. I didn't feel the urge to push at all I just looked at the moniter. I even managed to walk down to the cafe with it in so I must have had quite a lot of feeling in my legs still.

Natural mamma said:
Hey ladies why are so many of you getting so het up over my opinion?

Have i touched a nerve? ba boom tshish :rotfl:

no you're just being rather rude. Are you deliberately trying to make women out to be bad people just for having pain relief? Tell me, have you never taken a paracetamol in your life?
It's your narrow-mindedness that is getting people het up. Just because you don't agree with epidurals doesn't make other women bad people for having had them, and you've got no right to imply that it does!

At no time have i implied that women are bad people for having had an epidural, You are just extrapolating from my comments.

I had a back to back 36hr labour induced with my first and would have done anything to stop the pain....i was too far gone for pain relief as when they hooked me up to the oxytocin drip (which is when it became unbearable) it was like rocket fuel and i delivered within 40mins....Instead of being freaked out and thinking i'm never doing that again. I used the experience to make sure it never happened to me again...He was 8lb...With the other three it seemed like a breeze as i had none of those fake pain intensifying chemicals in my blood stream...the whole labour seemed completely bearable they have varied in length 2nd 7hrs, 3rd 10 hrs, 4th 24hrs.... They were all 9lb . If i had opted for epidural with my first, i would probably not have experienced what i did with my other births. It gave me the guts to try again. If i had been numbed then i probably would have opted for that every time....i know its personal choice...but at what cost ?? My anger is at a system that i feel undermines a woman's natural instinct....I know for some medical intervention is essential and my comment is not aimed at them. It is aimed at those who would rather be numb and make the choice to be so before they have even had a child. I know i am in the minority and that's how I'll stay unless i speak out.

It's totally natural to give birth yes, but once upon a time women used to just squat in the forest and give birth by themselves. It might be the most natural thing in the entire world, but look how many women would have actually DIED by giving birth that way?!

Just because artificial pain relief is not "natural" doesn't make it a bad thing.

You're saying "at what cost?" - well I counter that with the fact that giving birth totally 100% naturally is also "at what cost?"
There are risks involved with giving birth no matter which way you choose to do it.

I agree Xena, If woman were totally able to give birth by themselves then there would be no need for midwives or for us to go into hospital, it would also save the NHS millions if we could just pop them out.

But the fact is, birth id never going to like that, and natural mamma birth wasnt like that and I suspect hundreds of woman died and their babies due to birthing complications such as GBS, uterine placental and cervial complications, preterm labour, shoulder dystocia, meconium in the waters, infections being the biggest and the list goes on.

Having a epidural has been proved essential in some labours especially where SPD suffers have been in labour, it lets them relax, sleep a bit and takes away their pain. We all know pain is part of giving birth, but if you have a 30 odd hour labour ahead f you then would you be able to put up with a back to back labour like that? I think not and thats from personal experience.

You need to get in the real world and stop shoving your opinions down peoples throast and in all honesty, no one is intersted anyway.

Natural mamma said:
Sorry to be so blunt but i think that even the consideration of having an epidural is OUTRAGEOUS.....woman have been giving birth for millions of years...it is a very natural process....over 50% of women who have epidural end up having a ceasaren which then cancels out the chance of you ever having a natural birth again...and what about the women who have one and it all goes wrong and they end up paralysed......it is fear of birth that force women to make such uneducated decisions...the media is constantly bombarding us with fear...TAKE CONTROL birth is empowering woman wouldn't do it over and over again if it was that bad...

Sorry again for being so blunt but it makes my blood boil

Just an experiment, a wacky way out there idea, but maybe you could have got a much better response if you had not used the terms I bolded.

We all manage to discuss and debate many many topics, some very emotive, and get our points and opinions across without coming across as rude as you do.

You seem to think you know so much more than everyone else, and have the right as a student homeopathist to place yourself as an authority on such matters as breastfeeding, child nutrition, and now birth itself.

Well I have a degree in social science but you dont see me going round trying to "educate" people on how to behave within society do you?

No. Because I, as everyone else here does, understand that everybody is different, has different experiences. Different needs. Different opinions. Different lifestyles.

You seem like a very intelligent girl, but in future please think about how you are wording your replies. Any more remarks indicating that you know better, or any more insinuations that not being natural makes someone a bad mother, and we will take it VERY seriously.

This is a forum for support and advise, we dont need people like you coming here and being so damn pedantic and arrogant.

Oh and im not interested in any quoting wars, just re-read what you said its all there in black and white.

Duds, I have an epidural and was able to delivery naturally. My MW was great and I pushed with all my might and out she come in an hour. I would say that having an epidural made my labour a very relaxed time and would definetly have an epidural again if I have any babe.

Well said GGG that one needs taking down a peg or 2. :roll:

Anyway this is my first baby I am 39 years old and have made a very consious decision that I will have whatever pain relief is available and suitable at the time I go into labour.

There are no medals for going through so much pain. Everyone has a different level of pain threshold according to my DH my is terrible so I guess at the first twinge I will be yelling for an epidural but so what as long as my baby is born safely and breathing and I also survive the birth then I will be one very happy mummy.

Personally I wouldnt have an epidural but thats purely because I already have back problems and dont want to restrcited in how much I move around, nothing to do with wether I think its right or wrong - I have had and will again have pethidine and tonnes of gas and air :lol:

Smurf, you make total perfect sense when you say there are no medals for going through so much pain!

We have the technology, we have the means to make it easier, so why the hell shouldnt we! :dance:

We also used to allow our men to spread the seed and have numerous females and children to ensure continuation of the species, should we return to that too? :think:

can I also suggest that anyone reading the article Natural mamma posted does so with some caution. The article itself is dated 2002 and some of the sources date back to 1991 - obviously medicine has come a long way in the 16 years since and so some of the stats and facts are probably outdated by now.

libs said:
can I also suggest that anyone reading the article Natural mamma posted does so with some caution. The article itself is dated 2002 and some of the sources date back to 1991 - obviously medicine has come a long way in the 16 years since and so some of the stats and facts are probably outdated by now.

Thank you for pointing that out :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back