Epadrual and ventouse delivery ....

Duds

Reaction score
I know that if you have an epadrual the chances of a ventouse or forceps delivery is more likely & i had a ventouse with my first which i really want to avoid this time, do you know that if i had an epadrual this time then i would have the same probs again?

Has anyone had a epadrual and delivered naturally still?

yep i did with Dior the only reason its more likly you need ventouse is because if you dont feel the urge to push then people dont push anough, where as when you dont have epidural your in so much pain you push really really hard to get baby out

i felt nothing with Dior but pushed loads and she was out in 4 pushs x x

What about Harley? ? i dont know whether to just ask for one early or not bother at all.... i dont know i could handle it the pain without but dont want to put the baby through having a ventouse
I pushed as hard as i could with Aimee but just couldnt feel anything so found it so hard - managed to push a few piles tho ! lol

i had nothing with Harley, i got to the hospital at 9cm so it was to late. but to be honest i found that not having the epidural made me not want to push

atleast with the epidural i couldnt feel much so just went for it

with Harley i knew it was going to kill and sting so i wouldnt push at first

prob had nothing to do with how hard you pushed my too were only light though 5.5 so it was not to big.
maybe you are bigger now as its your 2nd??? im not sure how it works?

Sorry to be so blunt but i think that even the consideration of having an epidural is OUTRAGEOUS.....woman have been giving birth for millions of years...it is a very natural process....over 50% of women who have epidural end up having a ceasaren which then cancels out the chance of you ever having a natural birth again...and what about the women who have one and it all goes wrong and they end up paralysed......it is fear of birth that force women to make such uneducated decisions...the media is constantly bombarding us with fear...TAKE CONTROL birth is empowering woman wouldn't do it over and over again if it was that bad...

Sorry again for being so blunt but it makes my blood boil

I had an epidural and ventouse with Paris - She got stuck and no matter how hard I pushed she kept slipping back :oops:

I had an epidural with Kate, after failure to progress during my second stage. I ended up with forcep delivery but that was after 5 and a half hours of pushing, 5 of those hours on just gas and air. I am a bit annoyed at what natural mamma said about it being outrageous having an epidural. After that amount of time both me and the baby were getting distressed so I think the decision for epi and forceps was the right one. I feel like sometimes people can be a bit militant in their views on this forum - yes, you might have given birth a few times and not even taken a paracetamol but how long was your labour? how big were your babies? I think its all well and good having your opinion but to imply that there is something 'wrong' with intervention is a bit ignorant, yes we have delivered babies for years with no assistance but 100 years ago when some of these techniques werent available i am pretty sure the mother/baby mortality rate was a damn sight higher than it is nowadays.

I had an epidural to help relax a swollen cervix and ended up with a ventouse. I'd have needed a C-section without it though so I'm grateful.

Duds, won't it depend at what point in labour you have it? If you need pain relief earlier on maybe you could let it wear off before the 2nd stage? I kept topping mine up and that was my downfall I think :(

Natural mamma, stay on topic please. This is not a pain-relief debate. If you have no relevant help or advice to offer, please don't post.

Natural mamma said:
Sorry to be so blunt but i think that even the consideration of having an epidural is OUTRAGEOUS.....woman have been giving birth for millions of years...it is a very natural process....over 50% of women who have epidural end up having a ceasaren which then cancels out the chance of you ever having a natural birth again...and what about the women who have one and it all goes wrong and they end up paralysed......it is fear of birth that force women to make such uneducated decisions...the media is constantly bombarding us with fear...TAKE CONTROL birth is empowering woman wouldn't do it over and over again if it was that bad...

You again, why are you still here? were not all raving hippies who had homebirths in a fecking teepee!

But back to subject, i had an epidural due tio having a back to back labour and i didnt have aventouse delivery, though i did have a episotmy.ouch.
I will try to avoid having a epidural myself this timeras i want a active birth, its not all that fun being strapped to a bed without use of your legs!as thats what an epiduaral does.

Hope i was some help to you

I didnt have an epidural and still had a failed ventouse and eventually an emergency c-section so I really dont think it makes much difference. Its all dependent on the situation at the time. I did 20 hours labour with pethdaine and gas and air and 2 hours pushing with nothing but Charlie got his head stuck even though he crowned he would not come out.

Natural mamma said:

Sorry that cracked me up !!! Thats the biggest load of shit ive ever heard !!!

Duds if you want a epidural go for it, they should give you it early on so that it wears off slightly when you are ready to push, therefore lowering the changes of having intervention i.e ventouse etc !

xx

Natural mamma said:

puh-lease :roll: go hug a tree or something.

Duds - I had an epidural because I was induced and you get the contractions a lot harder and faster than normal, and I didn't need a ventouse or c-section or anything like that. I tore and had an episiotomy, but that was because of Lydia being fooking massive, no other reason.

I am damn well having an epidural again this time round - I loved it. Why have the pain when you don't have to? lol.

It's your choice hun, do whatever you feel comfortable with, but rest assured that just an epidural doesn't always equal ventouse or anything :)

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Im sorry ladies your all brillaint and make me laugh!

I just didnt like my legs not working, im guna try other painrelief before resorting to a epidural.

mrs_tommo22 said:
:

I just didnt like my legs not working, im guna try other painrelief before resorting to a epidural.

Other than my fear of big needles - thats the reason I couldn't ever have one - I have this really weird fear of my legs not working :oops:

I thought i was the only one! Im glad someone else knows what its like, for me its the feeling of being helpless

with Dior i had 2 epidurals and my legs were only not working for about 15mins
it felt so strane i always wonderd what it was like for people that cant walk "how can they not feel their legs"
then when i stood up it was like i was standing on jelly lol
fell straight on my arse

i love the epidural

i was in controll with Dior i could concentrate i knew what i was doing when she was born i rmeber it all was so special

with Hasrley i had nothing the pain was so bad i lost control i cryed and swore, the moment he was born i was so hurt from all the painn i was just in shock :(

my mum has gave birth 6times all natural epidurals werenot well known then
after she watched me give birth with Dior she said if she knew about them she would have had one every time

i spoke through labour i comunicated well as i was coping

not having a apeidural with HARLEY I COULDNNT COPE.
AND I MISSED OUT ON the first few hours he was born as i was still in shock :( and didnt bother with him

but just to reassure everyone - its not always that bad :D Sorry it was for you Dionne.

I could never have one anyway as I couldn't face the needle. :? I had only gas and air right at the end and although the pain was bad, it was bearable, I can remember everything and although josh was taken away almost immediately, I rushed through the stitches and bath to get to see him :D

Took about 6 hours for my legs to work dionne, was scary to me.

Sounds like yoiu had a really bad experience with harley

I had an epidural with Tia...they threatened to use forceps but that was because Tia was in distress and they needed her out quick (her heartbeat was going between 75-45 bpm) The cord was round her neck and the contractions were pressing down on the cord so she was being deprived of oxygen.. Needless to say...I got freaked out and just went for it, pushed her out without help in 20 mins. So it's perfectly possible to deliver your baby without the need of forcepts or vontuse (sp?).

I could feel the contractions and my legs all the way through...but got to have a nice nap in the middle of my labour. :rotfl: Afterwards they gave me a spinal block as I needed emergancy surgery (unrelated to the epidural) and it took about an hour for the feeling to come back.

I had an epidural
088.gif

i didn't have forceps/ ventouse, I couldn't feel my contractions to know when to push......but could see them on the monitor so would just push with all my might when it showed on the printout........I would 100% definitely have an epidural next time too!

I don't think if you had ventouse 1st time that you would necessarily need one againg this time :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back