Pelvic ultrasound - updated pg2

LouiseB

Reaction score
Hiya :)

Well, my scan is tomorrow and i haven't been given any information or instructions and i think a few of you ladies have had them already, so i was just wondering a couple of things.

I'm sure i've heard that a full bladder is required for a pregnancy ultrasound, so is it the same for this ultrasound?

Also, with them looking right at any issues that might be going on - will they tell me at the time? So will they tell me if anything is wrong right there and then or will they still make me wait however long to hear the results?

I'm also having a HIV test.

Anything i need to know?

Last edited:
Yep think you need a full bladder and it depends on who does the scan if you get your results, if its a doctor or consultant they are likly to tell you but if its a sonographer its unlikly, think every area is different.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

hi louise,

no advice i'm afraid but just wanted to say hi and i hope tomorrow goes well for you. you are missed lots in ttc!! xxx

Full bladder is a must otherwise you get an internal scan. They didn't tell me anything on my appt had to wait 10 days and went through the results with my gp. Hope it all goes ok x

i had a pelvic ultrasound done on friday.. Yeah u have to make sure your bladder is really full, like u really need to pee. I drank 4 pints and 1 litre of water. Its a nightmare because they really push the scope thing into your stomach and when u are bursting it doesnt help. I was told that there was free fluid, i dont know what that is but she said its not serious. I have to wait 7-10 days for the results. Good luck hunni hope everything is fine x

Safest to go with a full bladder, although every one of my scans ended up being internal cos they get a better picture, in which case they'll just send you off to the loo before you even sit down.
The sonographer (I think that's the right word... the person who scans you) should talk you through what they're looking at, so you should know straight away if they spot any problems. If they're not talking, be sure to ask what they're looking for!

Hope it all goes smoothly! Xx

I'm glad some of you have been through it first lol

Although... i'm getting weighed too so i'm hoping i get to pee before i have to get weighed :blush:

I'm feeling so nervous all of a sudden, all the "what if"s are creeping in.

Hubby says i'll have to go braless to save some weight :roll: Men lol

Last edited:
Hey, hello... a full bladder is necassary, is it your transnuchal scan? They will check for downs syndrome and you will have a blood test.. they check the downs by the fluid on the back of the neck of the fetus which shows up on your scan... ask them about it, is quite interesting xx Good luck

lol Merfairy, what are you like :roll:

I mean for my pelvic ultrasound required before i can start IVF treatment.

Don't get me wrong, if they find a baby in there i'd be over the moon but i doubt it very much ;)

I'll definately get it checked for downs while i'm there though if i am lol

Last edited:
EDIT - ok so now i'm prodding my stomach and contemplating the chances that a baby will pop up on screen as well as wondering if they might find something nasty lol

I haven't tested for a couple of month now :oooo:

good luck tomorrow louise!

Oooh not tested in a couple of months, where in your cycle are you? wouldnt that be wonderful!!!

Best of luck tomorrow hun - hope it all goes really well. I'll be looking out for your news on how it went xxx

good luck tomorrow louise!

Oooh not tested in a couple of months, where in your cycle are you? wouldnt that be wonderful!!!

I'm just playing about the baby, i'm just about OV now - been having cycles and AF as per usual. No baby in there unfortunately :)

Best of luck tomorrow hun - hope it all goes really well. I'll be looking out for your news on how it went xxx

Who the hell is SunnyGirl? lol

When/why did you change your name? Lucky you kept the same avatar.

Don't you know it's minus one outside? ;)

aww your such a rascal louise, i was getting rather excited there.

Hey Hun

How did the scan go, did they tell you anything after / during the scan ?

When do you get your results ?

Hope you are feeling ok ? I know I was a bit sad after I had mine done.

Thinking of you x x x x

Aw thanks Vicky :hug:

It went ok, i mean the results came back fine but the whole thing was a bit overwhelming.

I went to the loo and i couldn't figure out how to lock the door or turn on the taps - that is how all over the place i was.

The clinic was lovely and the staff were friendly, but the waiting room was a bit intense. You just didn't know where to look because when you are all sitting in the waiting room of a fertility clinic, it is an insight into each others medical history which is supposed to be confidential. They might not want anyone to know and there they are, suddenly a bunch of strangers know.

If you know what i mean :eh:

And i tend to get the giggles in situations like that, so my hubby would ask the time and i would reply with HAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!! which echoed all over the place :shock: I'm such a nut job :roll:

The scan did turn out to be an internal one - requires an empty bladder - which was less invasive in the fact that she only had a quick glance at my bits to get the scanner inside :)

I saw this huge dark oval on the sceen, and i thought "oh an ovary!" but it wasn't. It was my mature follicle as i'm about to ovulate. Seriously it was HUGE!

Then she had to count how many immature follicles i had which would be an indication of my response to drugs.

Not sure how many i had on the ovary with the mature follicle but she said 18 on the other ovary. I haven't looked into how good/bad that is yet but she said normal.

I hate the word normal - i want to know how normal lol

I didn't have the blood works or my weight done, it was decided best to wait until i see the consultant incase he wants more doing than just HIV and Hep B and C.

I feel relieved all in all :) Just a bit numb too. Surreal.

Last edited:
Glad to hear everything went well, which clinc you go?

Donna x

Glad to hear it went well for you Louise. It's strange looking at a scan and knowing you won't see a baby isn't it? When I went for mine for my PCOS I wondered if there would be a baby in there (stupidly) lol.
At least it's another thing done for you iykwim? I'm glad that you aren't being ignored etc, I hope all this effort is fruitful for you xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back