PCOS and all that jazz

Frankinstein12

Reaction score
I have moved from the WTT forum to over here, seen as it's been 5 years, I guess that is classed as long term? :wall2:

So here is the low down,
I'm 25, a primary school teacher and just got married this last July

Here's my journey so far;

2011 - August - came off the pill started trying.

2012 - February - Had no period for 6 months, decided to see a doctor, was jabbed repeatedly for blood tests and poked around in until a scan revealed PCOS - that same month they referred me to the fertility clinic and wanted to do a HSG test to look at my uterus and fallopian tubes, we never went along with the tests and decided to wait.

Skip forward a few years to July 2015 - By this time we had owned our home for the past 4 years, got married in Vegas, and I had my first position in a school :lol:

That brings us to present day, we feel ready for a baby now, a lot better off with securities in place too. Just one problem! For the past 5 years, I still haven't got pregnant, however, over the last year my periods returned, but that doesn't indicate if I am releasing an egg. Yesterday I rang the doctors to get the ball moving to start the fertility process again, I'm guessing first on the list is a HSG test, so I'm trying to mentally prepare for that haha
Otherwise, I will continue to lose weight, as I'm still classed as over the BMI to receive any form of drugs like metforim etc

Frank

Last edited:
Hello :)

I also have pcos, sucks doesn't it. I'm also not allowed to try metformin, my consultant seems to think I'm unsuitable despite being a typical candidate for it? I don't really understand why but he refuses to discuss it further with me. I am currently on cycle 2 of clomid, so am going to give three cycles a try and then see if my gp will give me metformin to try alongside my final three clomid rounds.

I'm also sure there is no bmi limit for metformin as it can actually help some ladies to lose weight, it might be worth pursuing this further. Other treatment options do have a bmi cut off, here it is 30 for ovulation induction and ivf.

Are you taking any natural supplements? I'm taking inositol (supposed to be natures version of metformin), chromium and a couple of others that are supposed to help with controlling pcos.

If you don't do it already a low gi diet is also good (and also make sure you are eating enough good fats, I swapped to a higher fat diet by going to real butter, whole milk etc and I lost 10 kg making no other changes).

The hsg wasn't too bad, for me the worse bit was physically getting in the room as I really hate hospitals. I went back to work afterwards and felt fine, but was rough in the evening so I would recommend taking the day off.

Hi

I also have PCOS and echo the above.

I thought I was ovulating as I got periods but now I don't think I was. I thought I didn't have any weight to lose but they were willing to try me on metformin and I lost loads of fat from my thighs!

I'm also on chromium as it's been the only thing to have stopped my spotting. I take royal jelly and CoQ10 for egg quality as well.

It's so frustrating. I really hate this illness! X

Hi guys,

Thanks for the tips, I will look into the natural remedies and supplements.
Yeah, I'm utterly terrified of hospitals too! They make me nauseous, I think I associate them with death too much haha
Either way, I gotta suck it up and just be brave :-D

Diet has been a problem for me for a while now, i have quite low energy levels and crave carbs and sugar, I need to kick the habit if not to get pregnant but for also my health!
I am going to try Palao diet, and seek help from a nutritionalist, I need a new mindset on food and my relationship with it.
Doesn't help when we holiday twice sometimes 3 times per year in America, where we stuff our faces :-O
I'm off to Florida in April, and vowing to stick to fresh fruits and swim a few lengths each day haha

Frank

Be careful with fruit, with pcos you need to be mindful of sugar and fruit is packed with it. Veg and protein are good for pco. Personally I'm careful but not too strict, for example I eat what I want on holiday as some places it is just too difficult if not impossible to eat otherwise. I've just been to France and french baguettes are really high gi but there isn't any choice there. Back on the low gi now I'm home. Carbs are ok if you can stick to the low gi ones, maybe wean yourself onto those first, then try and cut back if you still need to.

Honestly PCOS is a nightmare.
I am currently on Metformin, Evening Primrose Oil and Golic Acid. We have been TTC for 4 years now. I have never heard about not being given Metformin because your BMI is too high. Mine is also high. I think it is silly when it can help you lose weight also.
I am trying to get Clomid, but at the minute I might aswell go find a Genie. Honestly it is like I am talking a forgein language to them at times. I wish there was a cure of PCOS. Growing up I loved the fact I didnt get periods every month and now even though they are more regulated I am happy I get them, unless it has been a month we have TTC that month, then I am not happy to see it :)

LittleDalla, if you find a genie then please send him my way! X

Hi guys,

Just rang the doctors, instead of a straight forward referral they want me to go in and discuss things with them,
Blah,
Guess that will be tomorrow then!
Yeah totally, fruits I'm sticking to are apples, bananas and some berries,
As of today I am following the Palao!
It's quite interesting I think I'll find it a good diet,

Frank

Dont worry Phonix. If I do I will send him your way :)

Good Luck Frankinstein :dust:

So I'm standing in front of the like 'pregnancy' aisle in ASDA thinking, boy, that's a lot of different things for women who are trying,
Is it literally folic acid I should be thinking about taking? How far in advance can you start to take this? X

I think it is currently recommended to start taking folic acid 3 months before you start ttc.

I'm taking a conception specific vitamin (currently seven seas, but I do change depending on what is on offer) and that has everything you need in there. It is a condition at our fertility clinic that both my husband and I have to take them, otherwise we can't get treatment.

I think it is currently recommended to start taking folic acid 3 months before you start ttc.

I'm taking a conception specific vitamin (currently seven seas, but I do change depending on what is on offer) and that has everything you need in there. It is a condition at our fertility clinic that both my husband and I have to take them, otherwise we can't get treatment.

Oh wow reallly,
3 months!
Blimey, I really could do with a 'how to guide' on getting pregnant and pregnancy haha
I really don't know much on the subject, which sounds really daft doesn't it!
X

It's not a condition at ours but they do recommend it and I am taking a conception multivitamin too (Pregnacare at the moment, but it also changes depending on what's on offer). It takes three months for your eggs to develop.

That's a starting point. I'm on other stuff too, mainly for PCOS. I'm currently on:

Chromium picolinate (for PCOS)
Royal jelly up to ovulation (for egg quality)
CoQ10 (for egg quality)
Maca root powder (for general hormone balance)

It sounds a lot but after so many years of symptoms and no treatment I'm sick of PCOS and willing to try anything! Xx

PCOS is such a bitch!
I'm sick of the hairs, everything else I can cope with, but getting my husband to wax my back is not cool!!
It's highly embarrassing, degrading and just basically shit :-/
Thankfully, I've had no hair loss or thinning, I'm blonde so any hairs on my face are quite fair, it's only on sunny days I look a bit fuzzy, and my arm hairs at the moment aren't bothering me too much.
Mainly because it's England and fricken Cold all the time I rarely get so much as my neck out haha roll on April! Sunny Florida here I come :-D
I've just purchased a book on fertility, and the legend ''what to expect when you're expecting' lol

Luckily I don't have the excess body hair. I'm blonde too so any hair I do have you can't see anyway - I can even get away with not shaving my legs sometimes! This is what struggled in getting me a diagnosis (along with my weight).

I've read that peony, liquorice and saw palmetto are good for the excess body hair - along with chromium. Chromium is the one thing I take religiously, each and every month, and I swear by it. Unfortunately the IVF seems to have messed up my cycles again but I'm hoping it's just a temporary thing.

Florida should be good for you as you'll get lots of vitamin D that we are lacking over here, and that us PCOS ladies lack generally! The month after I got back from Mexico was my best cycle ever xx

I will look into all of those, thanks ladies.
Do any of you buy the combined vitamins, or get most things separate?
The combined ones seem very expensive for what they are x

I have the conception multivitamin (eg Pregnacare Conception) but other than that, they're all separate. I know they do cinnamon and chromium together which may be worth getting, depending on how much it costs. It's meant to be like a natural version of metformin. X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gzmndrea
Back