Pandemic pregnancy

Beth36

Reaction score
I called the Obgyn today to tell them I had a positive test. They scheduled me for a telehealth exam on May 8. My last period was April 4. I will Be ten weeks and still won't even see a doctor. I asked if they wanted blood work, she said I'll ask the nurse and let you know. No return call. I have had two MCs and an ovary removed. I feel this pandemic has robbed me and anyone else in my shoes. It's like they wrote me off.

Unfortunately, at the minute this is how life is. All midwife appointments are done over the phone but you still will be attending your 12 week and 20 week scan.
I know it’s rubbish but this is being done for the safety of us all.
I also feel like I haven’t been able to enjoy my pregnancy, I haven’t been able to show off my bump. Just hoping it changes by the time baby is due if not there’s nothing I can do!

How far along do you think you are the moment, if you don't mind me asking? Only with you saying your last period was April 4th?

I'm guessing you live in the US. In the UK, it's quite common not to have your first midwife appointment until around the 10 weeks mark, which does seem to drag as it's such an exciting/nerve wracking time! Try not to dwell on your past losses, many women go on to have successful pregnancies.

As for the pandemic, it's a rubbish situation for all of us to be in. But they're doing it to protect us and keep us safe, try to remember that even though it's upsetting. It isn't right though that you were told you'd get a return phonecall and never did, I'd be upset by that too.
They're trying to do as many over the phone appointments as they can at the moment, rather than face to face. I go to the hospital regularly for growth scans and it does make me feel safer when there are only a handful of other women in the waiting rooms... usually it's really crowded and you struggle to find a seat.

Try to enjoy your new journey and don't let what's going on in the world cause you too much anxiety and upset. Fingers crossed things should start to improve soon x

Unfortunately, at the minute this is how life is. All midwife appointments are done over the phone but you still will be attending your 12 week and 20 week scan.
I know it’s rubbish but this is being done for the safety of us all.
I also feel like I haven’t been able to enjoy my pregnancy, I haven’t been able to show off my bump. Just hoping it changes by the time baby is due if not there’s nothing I can do!

Strangely, we’re still seeing ours in person on Thursday.

Strangely, we’re still seeing ours in person on Thursday.
Oh wow really. Very shocked by this. I managed to see mine at my 16 week appointment because it was before the lockdown but I know after my she was switching to telephone appointments. My next appointment is in 4weeks time, really hope lockdown has started to fizzle out by then as I love having a gossip and catch up with my midwife. She is so lovely xx

You will probably just get a phone call randomly. I did xx

Then they'd better warn me beforehand so my husband can pick up because I don't answer my phone as I'm autistic, which they know ;)

As it stands we'll be leaving the house at 1pm tomorrow to get to the surgery on time.

The only text I've had from them was to say that there are no children allowed in the practice at the moment.

Then they'd better warn me beforehand so my husband can pick up because I don't answer my phone as I'm autistic, which they know ;)

As it stands we'll be leaving the house at 1pm tomorrow to get to the surgery on time.

The only text I've had from them was to say that there are no children allowed in the practice at the moment.
Has midwife also warned you that no partners will be allowed in the appointment with you? Maybe give them a call before tomorrow, as your OH may need to wait in the care so may be pointless him travelling with you if thats the case. x

Has midwife also warned you that no partners will be allowed in the appointment with you? Maybe give them a call before tomorrow, as your OH may need to wait in the care so may be pointless him travelling with you if thats the case. x

Nope, the only info we've had is no children. It's only ten minutes walk away anyway so not too bad if he can't come in :) I think maybe it's different as it's at a small health centre rather than a hospital?

Nope, the only info we've had is no children. It's only ten minutes walk away anyway so not too bad if he can't come in :) I think maybe it's different as it's at a small health centre rather than a hospital?

I would give them a call to double check hun as pregnant woman are high risk

I've sent them an email. Hopefully they'll reply today! Their website has a lot of conflicting information x__x

In a fascinating update, I have been informed by my surgery that my appointment is not there despite me sitting looking at a letter that lists their surgery name and address as the place of the appointment! Haha.

I've had to photograph the letter and send them a copy. What a palaver!

In a fascinating update, I have been informed by my surgery that my appointment is not there despite me sitting looking at a letter that lists their surgery name and address as the place of the appointment! Haha.

I've had to photograph the letter and send them a copy. What a palaver!
how strange. keep us updated.

So apparently the receptionist forgot they have an upstairs...

Like... oh my goodness...

Seems like my appointment is going ahead as normal :)

Edit:: Now I have an email from a senior receptionist and they have changed their minds and it's now a telephone call so my poor husband will have to relay my answers to them for 45 minutes *sigh*.

Last edited:

Edit:: Now I have an email from a senior receptionist and they have changed their minds and it's now a telephone call so my poor husband will have to relay my answers to them for 45 minutes *sigh*.

They are pretty much yes or no questions. Could you have it on loud speaker? Xx

They are pretty much yes or no questions. Could you have it on loud speaker? Xx

Maybe, we'll have to see how clear the line is :) Autism comes with so many fun sub conditions such as auditory processing disorder. There's nothing wrong with my ears in actuality but when there's background noise I find it really hard to separate someone's voice from the sounds around me and it's worse when I can't see someone's lips.

At least D would be there to tell me what they said if I can't hear them :)

I did think it was odd that your appointment was going ahead.
Good job OH will be there to help out xx

Maybe, we'll have to see how clear the line is :) Autism comes with so many fun sub conditions such as auditory processing disorder. There's nothing wrong with my ears in actuality but when there's background noise I find it really hard to separate someone's voice from the sounds around me and it's worse when I can't see someone's lips.

At least D would be there to tell me what they said if I can't hear them :)

My midwife was a room so was very quiet in the background. Hope you get on OK xx

I dont understand how the booking in is being done over the phone, what about the bloods they need to do? I had to repeat mine twice, I'd have thought that bit was quite important? I cant get my head round all this. You're absolutely right I just cant enjoy this properly at the moment I'm incredibly anxious!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back