Painting/decorating

lisey27

Reaction score
Hiya,

As the title says, this is a question about painting and decorating. We have quite a few rooms that need a freshen up. I was going to be helping to paint but not sure if its safe. I wouldnt use gloss paint but was wondering if emulsion paint is ok? I would also just do lower half of wall and OH do higher. So that I wouldnt be stretching too much (even though I have heard this is an old wives tale?)
I have googled it and I am getting mixed responses, has anyone been advised on this directly by a midwife/doctor etc? I havent got a midwife yet so can't ask. :shock:

We have just decorated the whole house and hubbie did it all with the help of my dad. I feel that I could have done it but to be honest I would rather put my feet up!!
xxx

i was wondering the same thing about paint and fumes....i am thinking of decorating after xmas when i start my mat leave. i will be 31 weeks then..xx

well I helped to paint the nursery, (both emulsion and satin) but to be on the safe side we opened the windows wide and I wore a mask so I didn't inhale the fumes. Also made sure I took regular breaks and went outside to get fresh air. I painted the lower bits and OH did the high bits, really enjoyed doing it and was glad to put my own mark on it. So I would say go ahead hon but get your OH to get you a decorating mask (even if it does make you look like Hannibal Lector and sound like Darth Vadar :wink:) x x

Lol Bella2-will defo get a mask, i was thinking that. Thanks for all your thoughts and ideas ladies :)
I just looked on NHS website and its seems to be that water based paints are more safe as have less chemicals and that it is safer after 14 weeks so I will hold off for a bit and then start the decorating. Gives me more time to browse online for decorative accessories!!! :lol:

We've had the same problem recently.

Glossing is a big no-no and remember not to gloss in room you'll be sleeping in.

It might be quite easy to over-stretch even if your just doing the lower part. I'd say emulsion should be fine, just try not to over-exert yourself.

:)

my OH does the painting, got loads of stuff being done to my place right now, just decorated 1 room, making a box room into a library and getting the kitchen extended. im not allowed to do any of the dusty work and painting bores me lol but i helped move bricks when we knocked down the kitchen wall.

Painting will be fine as long as its well ventalated. stay away from glossing tho, which is good a glossing is a pain in the bum :p

just rest often and don't go up any ladders or stretch too much.

It bores me too...lol
I agree, glossing is a pain in the bum and will be glad to get out of doing it :dance:
Thanks for the advice :) xx

Oops I didn't know about gloss, is it dangerous? I've just emulsion painted and glossed my lounge :shock: I was careful to have the window open but didn't wear a mask, I took lots of breaks and got oh to do all the hard to reach bits and he did quite a bit when I went to lay down, but I feel fine and baby seems kicky and normal? Maybe I should mention it to my mw on thurs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back