decorating when pregnant

Kelly

Reaction score
Im really worried.. im 8 weeks pregnant and we are have been decorating the house.. last weekend i sanded down the woodwork. today i have been looking on the internet and have found out there is a really big risk i have damaged the baby due to the fact i was just over 7 weeks at the time and the paint may have contained lead as it was old. Im really scared i have done my baby some harm and feel really selfish that i didnt find out first.. if i have done something then i'll never forgive myself.. please help

Dont panic, remember what you read only says "may cause harm" Chances are your baby will fine. The wood that is mainly dangerous is MDF, but this is harmful to everyone not just unborn babies.

Many women later in their pregnancy start to decorate and do not have any problems.

If you are really worried ask to see your doc

Natalie

I think the problems related to Lead in paint and the breathing in of the fumes/dust that have the lead in are dependant on how you were doing the sanding. I know that there are some methods that are more dangerous than others.

I think the chances of you damaging the baby are very slim but if you're concerned at all speak to your doctor/midwife and they will be able to advise you.

Hi Kelly

I hope you are ok and I really hope all is well with your baby. I know people here try to reassure eachother by saying things like "chances are your baby is fine" and things like that but I seriously think you should go to your doctors as soon as possible and get this checked out. Please don't panic, I dont mean to alarm you but my bf is a builder and he has knowledge of lead in paintwork and he thinks you should seek medical advice asap. Also if you still have any of the paint chips left you could contact an organisation and get the paint tested for lead traces.

I agree with Becky with regards to the method of sanding so at least you would have only breathed in a small amount of the dust if you were sanding by hand, not the amounts you could have inhaled if you were using an industrial sander etc.

I don't think beating yourself up over it will help and you wasn't being selfish, its just something that wouldn't occur to the majority of people, I expect, and you are no different. The only difference with you is that you have found out the risks now and are in a position to get medical advice and hopefully remedy any possible damage this could have caused to your health and that of your babies.

I wish you the best of luck

lou x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back