Our girl's name now out the window :(

leesey

Reaction score
Totally gutted, we had picked our girl's name and our boy's name, and were perfectly content with our names. We agreed we'd just leave it at that and not think about it again until we met him/her in August.

However, what I didn't think about was bloody famous people!

That new song, a cover of 'Alone' (which my husband doesn't like as he thinks the original is far better!!), is by a girl called Alyssa Reid. And of course what was our chosen girl's name?

Alyssa!!

We really did not want any other name for our girl if we have one, and have our hearts set on it, but now I feel uncomfortable naming her that in 4 months time knowing that people will assume we've named her after some average (one hit wonder?) singer who happened to be around the year she was born :(

I know someone in Tri 3 just named their baby Alyssa, but at least they managed to get her named before that damn song was out!!

Anyway, rant over, feel like I'm back to the drawing board :(

To be totally honest - if you had said u were calling ur girl Alyssa, I'd have thought of Alyssa Milano and not Alyssa Reid. I don't think any1 knows who she is, they just know the song lol.

Its a gorgeous name, I wouldn't allow that to put me off x

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Don't let that put you off hun, have the name you want :hugs: x

It's a beautiful name and one that OH and I really like too.

Don't be put off by the whole song thing. If you like it, then keep it!

XX

That one hit wonder will be forgotten about by the time your baby is born, so dont let it put you off. Beautiful name!

I love Allyssa and would never have associated it with anyone at all! I'd still use it tbh!

Well that's good to know everyone, thanks. I just hope this pest of a singer doesn't get too famous! I knew it was too good to be true when we had our names all picked out :mad: We'll still keep it as our number one choice :) xx

Last edited:
If its the name youve set in your minds then go for it xxx

Don't worry about one person called the same name, it's still lovely and unusual, I love it, it's a very pretty name, and I havn't even heard of that song!!

I really like the name Alyssa and I've never heard the song or singer you are referring to, so by the time she arrives I doubt anyone will think "omg she named her after that singer." don't let some random woman singer make you feel like you can't use your favourite name x

I've never heard of her lol, I'm sure it'll be fine, its not like you've chosen lady Gaga :)

I've never heard of that singer either - I'd keep it! It's a lovely name. :)

x x

aww dont let that put you off ( it was bevG's girl who she called Alyssa ) its a nice name and people wont associate it with a 1 hit wonder

Thanks ladies, and lol @ Lady Gaga!! xx

Alyssa is a lovely name, I know an Elissa which sounds similar but is obvs spelt differently if you really feel you don't want to use Alyssa now. However I would stick with what you have your heart set on. We have chosen Jessica for our little girl, our surname is Johnston therefore effectively she will be Jessie J!! it did worry me that people would think we'd named her after Jessie J but hopefully she won't be around for long and anyway I've decided I don't actually give a toss what people think!!:lol:

Alyssa is a lovely name, I know an Elissa which sounds similar but is obvs spelt differently if you really feel you don't want to use Alyssa now. However I would stick with what you have your heart set on. We have chosen Jessica for our little girl, our surname is Johnston therefore effectively she will be Jessie J!! it did worry me that people would think we'd named her after Jessie J but hopefully she won't be around for long and anyway I've decided I don't actually give a toss what people think!!:lol:

I thought about spelling it with an E, but my name is Elise, so too similar!! xx

We had Elise and Elysia on our list too!! I haven't heard of the singer but I'm not very current so it's not a surprise!! I loved Kitty for a girl but I've just been reminded about that eejit off X Factor last year, and also my mum says it would get called Titty at school???!!! God it's hard work isn't it??!

To be honest in this day and age you will never find a truly unique name unless you make one up :)

I think that is a really pretty name and I too have never heard the song or the singer so I wouldn't worry about it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back