Not bothering with antelnatel classes...

Water_Melon

Reaction score
Do you think they are worth doing? I'm not sure...
I havent arranged any as of yet and I'm not sure I will. What actually happens? is it just pain relief options?
I'm just talking about NHS free ones by the way x

It was mainly pain relief and feeding options when I went. Oh and a woman pushing a rubber doll through a skeletons pelvis. I was very suspicious as the skeleton looked male to me but hey, the thought was there lol x

i enjoyed them, found them very informative. But more importantly, I made some new friends....and have kept in touch with some of the mum's who were in my group. It introduced me to other groups which i now attend and to be honest those groups and the new friends i made saved me from severe PND...

so its not always just about the info you get from them.... :D

xx

Yeah see I'm very antisocial so I'm no good for things like that ;) x

I'm not going to bother with the NHS one's!

The only thing I am interested is in the hypnobirthing / natal hypnotherapy and classes for them are way out of my budget.

So books, CD's and common sense it will be for me!

xxxxxxx

I'm not bothering with them either, I spoke to my midwife about them and she said she would be happy to have longer antenatal checkup's with me and spend some of that time going through stuff covered in classes like 'signs of labour' and 'breastfeeding' etc etc. I don't like 'group work' so the idea of attending group antenatal brings me out in a cold sweat! I would spend my whole time feeling self concious and stupid and wouldn't actually learn anything so classes (I have decided) are not going to be good for me.

I'm going to the NHS ones but where I live the hosp has a v.good rep for the antenatal classes. I wasn't going to go but I'm now swayed and it includes relaxation sessions which I need!

I wouldn't worry if you decide not to go hun xx

My NCT classes were really good and I have met some great women there, we get together every week now on a Friday with our little ones it's awesome.....

So I would say they are worth doing :)

I had my first of three NHS antenatal classes this week, it was quite interesting, spoke about what happens in labour and pain relief options. I'm most interested in the last class which tells you about looking after your baby once it arrives. I would say it's worth going, it's free and your entitled to it so why not. x

I did the NHS ones and found the breast feeding one the best, the other stuff like pain relief and when to call the hospital I'd learnt on here on in the books I've read.

The only other thing they are good for is a labour ward tour and information about support groups after you give birth, which could be invaluable. DH also enjoyed the classes as it outlined his 'job' in labour xx

I went to the nhs ones and found them quite beneficial. Went through the stages of labour and pain relief. And gave us all the numbers to phone, and when to phone etc... What to look out for signs and stuff. I wouldn't go again if I ever had a 2nd. But as a first time mum I thot it best to go :) xx

Hubby and I go to the NCT ones and we have really loved them x

I'm not going to bother with the NHS one's!

The only thing I am interested is in the hypnobirthing / natal hypnotherapy and classes for them are way out of my budget.

So books, CD's and common sense it will be for me!

xxxxxxx

Nat, the Lazy Daisy birthing classes I've been going to are only £50ish per block, as opposed to the hypnobirthing I saw advertised for something like 5 times that. I love the LD classes!! Totally worth it.

Back to the OP - I'd say the antenatal classes are good for the social aspect if nothing else xx

Im really glad I went to the antenatal classes. The breastfeeding one was useful and gave me the opportunity to ask questions again and with someone other than my midwife. We also got a hospital tour and to see the birthing rooms etc.

For those of you wanting to do hypnotherapy etc seeing the rooms before hand will help you as it then won't be alien surroundings which can make you anxious. We got to see the pool room and understand the procedure when you think you are going in to labour. We also got to meet some of the staff there and the maternity support workers who assisted in labour with massage/oils etc

Ive booked in for mine, first one is labour and birth and second is all bout bringing baby home. Im really looking forward to them. xxx

I am going to the NHS ones but not till August, the way I looka t it is they are free and it let's my OH get a feel for what's going to happen. But if you feel more comfortbale with books and youtube videos then maybe not. I guess it's just how you learn and what you feel will help. There are fantastic facebook groups for mummies and babies if you type your city in you may find them that way too.

I went to NHS ones when I had DD but I didnt enjoy them at all. I found they didnt tell me anything different from what was in the books I had and didnt do anything to further prepare me for the birth. For that reason I chose not to do them this time round.
I can understand what others are saying about them being a good place to meet other mums for friendship and support,but there are plenty things you can do after having lo, where you can meet people, eg baby massage,baby sensory, walking groups,etc so I wouldnt worry about that. Its personal choice really.

Mine focused heavily on pain and pain relief, not good for hypnobirthers IMO x

I went to the free NHS ones with my first pregnancy and didn't find them helpful at all im afraid :shock: They didn't go through anything that I hadn't already discussed with my MW, i'm not bothering this time :oooo:

Tbh - I think every area is totally different. I went to two sets - one with my mw (morning) and one at the birthing centre (evening for DH) and both were totally different. Xxx

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back