Parent craft / antenatal classes

xx emma xx

Reaction score
My parent craft classes start this Thursday for 4 weeks and I'm not sure I am going to go to them. I've heard different stories about them, some say they aren't that beneficial and others liked them. Personally situations like this make me feel really uncomfortable, I have social anxiety so I know I am going to get really embarrassed and very uncomfortable at the classes and don't really want to put myself through more stress. Some of yous may think what's the big deal but it's just how my mind works lol.
What do yous think of these classes? Will I miss much by not going? I have read up so much about pregnancy and not really sure it will benefit me xx

i finished mine last week. i think they were good. most of it i already knew but i still think they are worth going to. plus you meet other mums to be and we exchanged numbers so hopefully we will meet again. i am a very shy person and find it hard but i'm happy i went. also it was good for my husband to understand everything that will happen during labour as the midwife explained it all so well.

I decided not to go to them. I'm just a bit concerned about all the questions from other couples like - what does your husband do etc. I hate having to lie and I don't really fancy telling them I'm gay, single and got pregnant through sperm donation. No matter what people say you still get some people who gay bash etc. My midwife is going to do some parent craft stuff with me and I'm getting a tour round the labour ward and mw birthing unit on Sunday :)

I decided not to go to them. I'm just a bit concerned about all the questions from other couples like - what does your husband do etc. I hate having to lie and I don't really fancy telling them I'm gay, single and got pregnant through sperm donation. No matter what people say you still get some people who gay bash etc. My midwife is going to do some parent craft stuff with me and I'm getting a tour round the labour ward and mw birthing unit on Sunday :)

Awww Pinky I can imagine that would be difficult and can understand why you didn't want to go. I didn't go either. Kind of never got round to it and stuff like that really isn't my thing..plus hubby lives in London and didn't really want to go on my own and be surrounded by couples. I'm sure they're useful, but I don't think they are esential at all xx

Im definately going to mine and i cant wait! We only get 2 sessions, one day for me and OH and a seperate couple of hours just for me. For me its part of being pregnant - i love feeling like a part of a little preggo community lol and ill enjoy meeting others there too. Most of all though i want my OH to be prepared because he obvs has limited knowledge of labour and i want to feel like i can rely on him to help/advise me when im in pain x

Thanks for the replies girls. I think I'm just not going to bother, my OH says I know more than the midwife with the amount if stuff I look into hahaha. He said I'll be telling the midwives when I'm in labour that there doing it wrong haha.
Pinky that's understandable why you wouldn't want to go, it's a shame though that that is how people are and how they just assume there's a husband or OH.
I have just delevoped this thing in pregnancy though that when anyone speaks to me my face goes bright red, it's funny but really not funny if you know what I mean. It's stopped me doing a lot of things and I'm praying it will calm down once baby's here xx

im gutted that i coudnt get booked in as they had no spaces :( so go hun as some other lady cuda had that stoplike meeeeee :-(

I really don't know. The thought of going brings on fear lol.
If I decide not to I'm going to phone and tell them so that they can give someone else a chance to go. Xx

My parent craft classes start this Thursday for 4 weeks and I'm not sure I am going to go to them. I've heard different stories about them, some say they aren't that beneficial and others liked them. Personally situations like this make me feel really uncomfortable, I have social anxiety so I know I am going to get really embarrassed and very uncomfortable at the classes and don't really want to put myself through more stress. Some of yous may think what's the big deal but it's just how my mind works lol.
What do yous think of these classes? Will I miss much by not going? I have read up so much about pregnancy and not really sure it will benefit me xx

Emma, i'm just like you!! I dread anything in new groups of unfamiliar people and having to speak while lots listen, I really want to go but I don't know what will be expected, I have social anxiety too and even just the thought of having to introduce myself makes me feel sick..... I'm not painfully shy just that I hate situations like this.. But I really want to learn and see what it's all about, I'm stuck and don't know whether to go or not....:shock:

Oh you sound just like me. I've heard different things about the different classes. One of which all the dads had to take turns of standing up and introducing themselves and there partners and ones where they do demonstrations and they pick someone to go up. My OH is happy to go if I want to go but I just don't know x

Oh you sound just like me. I've heard different things about the different classes. One of which all the dads had to take turns of standing up and introducing themselves and there partners and ones where they do demonstrations and they pick someone to go up. My OH is happy to go if I want to go but I just don't know x

That's my idea of hell right there!!! Oh no, Ive made my mind up now!!! lol x

Lol didn't mean to scare you just thought I'd tell you what I've heard. When I heard that it did put me right off. If it was class where you just went sat and listened I would be fine but I don't think it is. Why don't you check with people in your area to see if they are any different. It may just depend on who takes the class x

I thought they were good fun and did enjoy them, but they weren't really beneficial, from all the e-mails I recieve from pregnancy sites every weeks and reading up on each week and being on here they never told me anything I didn't already know, but was still good fun! xx

I never went either. Don't like hospitals, never had to stay in one before. I'm going to "wing" it when in emergency mode lol.

I never got told about these?? Is it for only first time Mums I never got it.with my first either?? X x

I'm not sure if you get it with second child but most places offer it for first time mums. They just automatically gave me the class times at booking in appointment xx

I never went either. Don't like hospitals, never had to stay in one before. I'm going to "wing" it when in emergency mode lol.

Ha ha I like your style Rose...we have a very similar approach!! xx

I've been to two of the four so far, but no one speaks to each other! We all just sit either on our own or with partner/friend and listen, and no one wants to answer any of the questions! I'm not particularly friendly so I didn't expect to strike up any friendships or owt, and the classes themselves - one was helpful and the other was quite interesting. Not sure about the other two, but am planning to go, if for no other reason than I get to go in work time and get my flexi for it :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back