Isaac had his MMR!

Both mines have had it and jess has had the booster. It was the easiest jab they had as far as not crying went.
There were no side effects and everything was fine and I hope Issac is too.

:hug:

valentine said:
beanie said:
I too have my own reasons, but the autism link isn't one of them.

Although I can't go back in time, I'd be interested to hear these when/if you feel ready to share them.

Is it to do with how the vaccine is grown and what is in it?

Valentine Xxx

I was just going to ask this too.
LO had hers last week and we have had a horrible time :( I am not sure if it is just the jab or if she caught something at the same time but :(
First she had a fever for 2 days and 1 night. Every time I got it down, it shot back up again. Then she started throwing up everything, even water from a syringe. And for the last two days she has been crying all day and night. I'm pulling my hair out!
I waited until now because thought she would be a bit bigger and stronger, but of course it had to coincide with 2 molars and she ALWAYS struggles with teeth.
But having said that, I am glad she had it done. (And the MMR is injected into the blood stream not the muscle so it doesn't hurt them and they don't usually cry when they get it done. )

Thank you for your replies :)

Isaac still seem's fine, no sign of fever or rash, but I am watching him like a hawk :)

From the information I read the 'normal' MMR is a single needle vaccine followed up a month later (no sooner) by a booster. The 3 needles I think would be the MMR, ie measles, mumps and ruebella in seperate injections. The NHS don't pay for this so you have to pay and its costs about £300.

The other parents I've discussed this with online have varied opinions, some women are totally against ALL childhood illness vaccines. To be fair the MMR was only introduced in 1988, If I remember correctly, so I never had it as a child, its relatively new. I also had measles as a child and was very poorly but recovered with no ill affects. I think I had mumps, not sure, and I never had my ruebella jab at school (was probably off and missed it) but when I have been tested as an adult and found that I am immune therefore I dont need the vaccine.

People tell me that measles can be a killer. My doctor told me for healthy children its rarely dangerous, but for vaunerable children, ie already sick children and babies it can be deadly. So basically I was told the more children who are vaccinated the better the safety net around everybody. Some people might think well I'm not putting my child at risk to protect everyone else and thats a fair point, we all have to put our own children first, but also you have to feel a slight responsibilty towards ALL children.

I did post a thread ages ago when I first discussed the MMR with my GP. She pretty much told me to wait till he was 2 to put my mind at rest. I'll try and find it. And it will probably totally contradict what I've just said :roll:

:)

Lou, the doctor said that the MMR takes about a week for the reactions to show. For us it was just over a week and she got spots, fever etc. I am so jealous of my friends' babies. Seems like none of them ever react to jabs or teething and we always get it big time. Feeling sorry for myself can't you tell ? :)

The doctor said to me that the effects of the diseases and so much worse than the jabs and he is seeing more and more each year. I guess we just have to act in faith and make the best decisions for our kids. It's hard though knowing what is best.

newmum said:
Lou, the doctor said that the MMR takes about a week for the reactions to show. For us it was just over a week and she got spots, fever etc. I am so jealous of my friends' babies. Seems like none of them ever react to jabs or teething and we always get it big time. Feeling sorry for myself can't you tell ? :)

The doctor said to me that the effects of the diseases and so much worse than the jabs and he is seeing more and more each year. I guess we just have to act in faith and make the best decisions for our kids. It's hard though knowing what is best.

Yeah, Isaac had his MMR last week. And you are right is it hard knowing what's right, we are supposed to trust our doctors but it is hard sometimes to put that much faith in someone. We are lucky in a way that we have the internet now to read up about it, but that too can be a bit over whelming, especially as most if the informatin is written in medical lingo!

I read up a bit, spoke to my close friend, discussed it on another forum and thats when I decided to have it done. I could have read about it till I was blue in the face but you have to stop somewhere and make a decision don't you :) I felt the need to decide one way or the other because Isaac will be starting nursery in Sept and I wanted plenty of time for him to have the initial dose then the booster, if I decide to go ahead with the booster. I have been told all the booster does is provide a really small percentage of protection that the first dose doesn't give. I think I might be able to live with that small percentage. This first dose has given me enough grey hairs already :lol:

Lou said:
This first dose has given me enough grey hairs already :lol:

:D I know what you mean! I hate it when she has her vaccinations because she is always ill, whatever they are for. But this time I thought, wow if she got really ill with one of these I don't know how I would manage!

Squiglet if you are reading this.. what did you decide? (hope you dont mind me posting this.. i know you have always been open on here about your crohns)

Claire x

Lou said:
Its definately still a very controversial subject and alot of parents still aren't getting it done.

At least we have the internet to read up about it and make an informed decision :)

I think the internet is to blame for a lot of scaremongery, and not the ideal place when it comes to making informed decisions.

The MMR autism link has long been discredited, Andrew Wakefield (the guy responsible for the scare') is still facing disciplinary proceedings for misconduct because of this. If there's one site on the web I'd recommend for reading up on scarestories like this it's www.badscience.net

Mills will be getting her jabs at the time recommended by NICE (which recommends the same intervals as health organisations in the rest of the world). I never understood the argument that a child might be "too young" to cope with the vaccine. Surely the real infection is even harder to cope with.

DD was due her booster the week before I was due to have DS so I've not managed to get round to it yet. I'm hoping to get it done in the next week or so before DD and I have our 8 week check/injections etc. I had a little bit of doubt about DD having the initial MMR but in the end I decided to go for it.

Last edited:
widowwadman said:
Lou said:
Its definately still a very controversial subject and alot of parents still aren't getting it done.

At least we have the internet to read up about it and make an informed decision :)

I think the internet is to blame for a lot of scaremongery, and not the ideal place when it comes to making informed decisions.

The MMR autism link has long been discredited, Andrew Wakefield (the guy responsible for the scare') is still facing disciplinary proceedings for misconduct because of this. If there's one site on the web I'd recommend for reading up on scarestories like this it's http://www.badscience.net

Mills will be getting her jabs at the time recommended by NICE (which recommends the same intervals as health organisations in the rest of the world). I never understood the argument that a child might be "too young" to cope with the vaccine. Surely the real infection is even harder to cope with.

Well one good thing the internet is good for is allowing us to all chat about it :D

I have found the media to be more guilty of scaremongering then the www tbh. Yes there are some sites which are a bit oversensationalist but it has also allowed me to get both sides of the arguement, and without the internet I probably wouldn't have had that.

I think parents scare eachother too, the same as when people discuss giving birth, you only tend to hear about the bad things. People love a horror story, I'm guilty of it I'm sure :oops:

Laura_James&Amber said:
she will be 16 weeks and I've heard its 3 needles instead of 2, is this one the MMR?
No hun! They have the MMR at 13 months!
The 3 Amber will be having are :

Diptheria, tetenus, whooping cough, polio and Hib in one needle
Pneumococcal
Meningitis C

:hug: :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads