nipple shields - advice needed - leckershell??!

purple13

Reaction score
i just bought the avent ones this morning (the only ones in the shop) and connor just had his first ever proper feed :cheer: :cheer:

i'm over the moon - he fed for an hour (no screaming, no hitting, no crying) and is now fast asleep.

BUT i'm not convinced by the avent shields... the side bits kept curling up and getting in his face, rather than staying stuck to my boob...

i know there are other brands, but are any better than others? or is it trial and error?

as an aside - i'm so disappointed that everyone i've spoken to about my problems (midwives etc) has discouraged me from using nipple shields - i've had nearly 2 weeks of feeding hell with my poor frustrated baby. :cry: i really wish i'd tried them sooner. you live and learn :)

I have a mam one that's never been used if it's any use to anyone?

i'd love it if you don't want it hon? think i'll have to try a few to see what works best for us...

thank you :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

oooh nipple shields thread :D

we have the avent ones (also only ones in the shop) and yeah they did sometimes do that in the beginning but i think the more you use and sterilise them the less curly they get! there's absolutely nothing wrong with them curling onto his face it won't hurt him or anything it's just a bit weird to look at. you could turn it so instead of left to right it's stretched diagonally or top to bottom, as long as the pointy bit is over thenipple it doesn't matter which way round you stick them on.

to add to your "aside", no HV or midwife told me about nipple shields and i found out about them by myself on the mothercare website and sent my OH to get some and I also found them to be fab. when I told the midwife that I'd got some and feeding was a million times easier and more comfortable, she sort of made a grunting noise, but I just ignored her. when I told the HV I had them she said I shouldn't use them all the time, and to encourage "normal" breastfeeding whenever possible or else he will get confused. also that they can decrease milk supply.

well fingers crossed for you, but what a load of bollox. we are still feeding fine at 6 and a half months, i do try him without them sometimes but with flat nipples it's a bit difficult but he knows what to do so certainly isn't confused by it (altho he picks them up and tries to chew them expecting milk to come out, which is quite funny..!). so no problems here and we use them for every feed.

I really think if I hadn't found them I wouldn't have continued to breastfeed. Every feed was a mission beforehand, with me really struggling to get him to latch on and I didn't have 3 hands to manage all the baby holding, boob shaping etc etc. and I can't believe, knowing I had flat nipples, no midwife ever suggested them.

anything else i can be of use feel free to ask :D

I used them for 10 days or so as my nipples were that sore and bleeding and what a releif they were!
I think without them i wouldnt have been able to carry on.
The midwives and hv told me to get off them and never use them :roll: butthey did the job for 10 days.
It was difficult to get off them and i think they hurt more than doing it naturally. I had it in my head that wothout the shields then it would be painfull but that was more from the latch.
It would sometimes take me half an hour to get rhiannon on :cry: but now after help from support groups she is on good.

The bf ladies are supprised im still feeding after using shields as apparently its a end to bf. But its not for me or leckershell! She was the one who i found out about them from so thanks michelle! :D

Oh and i foind the mothercare ones better than the avent as they didnt curl up. but both makes were good.

girlygirl said:
The bf ladies are supprised im still feeding after using shields as apparently its a end to bf. But its not for me or leckershell! She was the one who i found out about them from so thanks michelle! :D

I'm such a nipple shield whore 8)

got the shield - thanks lola's mum!!! :hug: :hug:

and thanks leckershell & girlygirl - we've fallen back into our 4 hour feeding routine, and its going really well - although girlygirl, you're right about them hurting; my right nipple feels tortured...

i've tried him without the shields a couple of times since, and he does still know what to do. but its a lot harder for him and still leads to a tantrum. my nipples aren't flat but they're really small and i don't think he can get a good enough suck on them.

i'm a bit scared about going to the BF cafe on monday now though, in case i get shouted at for using them :? :?

I used nipple shield from when Brody was 2 weeks old right through to 6 weeks old and we are still brestfeeding now! :D

I just used to try him without them every now and then like you have been doing! If anything it taught him to latch on better as he would open his mouth wider!

purple13 said:
i'm a bit scared about going to the BF cafe on monday now though, in case i get shouted at for using them :? :?

screw them all, I did. if anyone mentioned anything I'd just say well without them I can't breastfeed, so what's the preference?!

breastfeeding with shields is just as good as breastfeeding without... i've had that discussion many a time... he's still getting my milk so at the end of the day i don't care how that's made possible, so long as it is.

grr at people :x

:hug:

exactly. at least you are still feeding yourself with your own milk. they were a godsend for me. but i agree try without them every now and again to see how your lo feeds, as htey get older they attach themselves better.

oh a funny note, rhiannon tried to latch onto daddys nipple last night. took him bu suprsie and jumped a mile :lol: have never laughed so much. he only bent down to get something while cuddling her while i was getting ready to feed :rotfl: he said owch she sucks hardit hurt??!!

purple13 said:
got the shield - thanks lola's mum!!! :hug: :hug:

and thanks leckershell & girlygirl - we've fallen back into our 4 hour feeding routine, and its going really well - although girlygirl, you're right about them hurting; my right nipple feels tortured...

i've tried him without the shields a couple of times since, and he does still know what to do. but its a lot harder for him and still leads to a tantrum. my nipples aren't flat but they're really small and i don't think he can get a good enough suck on them.

Your welcome hun! :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back