to those struggling to bf - and a thank you ( long - sorry)

purple13

Reaction score
this is really long, sorry :oops: :oops: but i just wanted to write a message of encouragement, i guess... there are a few people here really struggling with bf-ing at the moment, and it's made me look back over the last 2 months and all the problems that connor and i have had.

firstly i've got to say a HUGE thank you to everyone for their support and advice. i know that i wouldn't still be breastfeeding now if it wasn't for you guys. i appreciate your help more than i can say. :hug: :hug:

to those struggling - connor and i had an awful start to bf-ing. in the early days, he would latch on but not suck. because he was so distressed, which in turn was distressing me, i ended up giving him formula. he was 48 hours old before he ate anything at all - and it was a formula bottle. i'd been so determined to bf and that made me so sad.

the MWs came round every day to help but connor would feed for a few minutes then get frustrated and scream at me - i started to not like him very much and was dreading every feed, and this broke my heart. i went to a breastfeeding cafe and got support from other people who'd been through similar things and this really helped.

a reluctant HV suggested i try nipple shields - i bought some that same day and they were wonderful. connor latched on and sucked straight away. no screaming, no crying. just a happy baby. i cried. connor was weeks old by this time - honestly the hardest weeks of my life.

i've had problems since though. connor was really slow to gain weight and almost dropped off the bottom centile. the HVs wanted me to give him formula top-ups and i did end up giving him a couple. i wondered whether i was doing the right thing by persevering with bf-ing. it was really hard seeing everyone else's plump babies alongside my skinny boy.

but now - i've exclusively bf with shields for the last 2.5 weeks. connor has gained 3lbs in the last month and i'm soooo happy :cheer: :cheer: i LOVE breastfeeding! i love the closeness of it. i love the fact that its me helping my son to grow. i love the simplicity of it. and the amount of money it saves me! :lol:

i worry about my flow sometimes (shields can have a negative effect on this) but fenugreek seems to really help. and although i'm sure that my problems aren't over, i'm so proud to have got this far. :dance: :dance:

breastfeeding is definitely the hardest thing i have ever had to do, and i came so close to giving up on so many occasions. but i kept trying and have to thank you all again for helping me succeed. i hope that anyone struggling who reads this will take hope that it really does get easier.

sorry - that was a bit epic :oops: :oops: think i'm having a soppy hormone day :lol: :lol:

Well done hun, I dont know that I could have been so determined, you have done brilliantly :hug:
:cheer: :hug:

You're an inspiration - well done to you and Connor!

Valentine Xxx

Well done to you hun! I really hope you are very proud of yourself for not giving up.

:hug:

I love reading these threads, it makes me smile as I know what a fab feeling it is when it just clicks into place. Good on ya hun, you will be an inspiration and can help other mummy's :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back