Nipple Shields - any advice?

JJ Mum

Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

Well Devon is still biting me, and now he is doing it during feed rather than just at the end when he is feeling fuller and more likely to mess about, and now it really hurts.

He has 6 teath , with 4 being on the top, two of those are huge now:wall2:

He is leaving marks and doing it 2-3 times a feed. I take him off , say no, pull a face and then won't let him have milk for 2 mins if he has not had enougth or end the feed if he has taken enougth, nothing seems to be working.

I was thinking about trying nipple shields - has anyone tried them, can anyone recomend the best ones, best for me and for Devon, and have these caused you any further problems?

Thanks lots

I really struggled with shields, but that was when she was tiny and my nipples were sore and bleeding :( I got mine from boots, they seem ok but Isla wasn't keen. she also doesn't bite any more. We don't feed in the day any more just evenings and mornings so I think she's realised that and looks forward to it.

I hope someone else comes along with more advice.

Thank you for your reply, Hope he grows out of it too, and I would prefer not to try sheilds if possible as takes away some of the convience of it I guess. When did you drop the day feeds, esp the lunch one? We have dropped mid morning feed, mostly, and sometimes afternoon one, if we are out and busy in pushchair etc, but still on lunch one def

Last edited:
Only in the past month in anticipation for my return to work in two weeks. She takes a couple of ounces during the day from a beaker as she's used to feeding on demand.

I couldn't feed without them. I got silicone ones from boots, sterilised in miltons before and after use. I think they're great x

Esoames - do you feed her expressed few ounces in a beaker in the day? or formula or cows as extra?

Thanks Cosmic girl - I may look at the boots ones then, bit of research needed I think

Ive never been able to express a decent amount :( so I give her follow on milk. She likes cows milk too.

Emma x

---
-

I use them all the time - Medela ones you get in Boots. They're fab, really thin compared to some others I was given originally, and made from silicon so kind of soft on your skin too. Like Cosmic, I sterilise them in Milton solution, just have a tuppaware of it on the coffee table that they go into, so no messing about. I have only ever fed her with them (after a few days of fail initially in hospital) but that's cos of my crap flat nipples rather than biting issues so not sure how effective they'd be or what problems they'd cause for you, but they've not affected my milk supply or anything. I'm over the moon with them, they totally saved us.

ahhh im feeling it when she feeds...think im gna start weaning her off the boob now....little sign......lol anyone have any suggestions on ebst way to do half boob half forumlae feeding regime? ta xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back