nipple shields

charlotte_

Reaction score
i've been using them for a few days now, while i was in hospital i got really sore because i have very flat nipples (apparently!) and zach wasn't latching on properly because i couldn't sit up after my ceserean. the HV came round today & said i should be trying to get rid of them now, so on zach's next feed i offered him naked booby, but he didn't want it, he kept pushing it away & turning his head.

has anyone used nipple shields permanantly through BF? i know it's not ideal, but i don't want to give up and i don't think my nipples are cut out for the job! any advice?

I tried the nipple shields but Ollie couldnt get to grips with them atall and would only take from the naked boobie. Cant be much help i'm afraid but wanted to say how well you are doing for perservering. Keep it up!!

Claire x

you just have to remember he's not used to skin in his mouth, so it will take some time, but if you stick with it, he should come around. its the same as introducing the bottle, but the other way around. takes time.

try putting him on the bare breast at the begining of every feed untill your milk lets down...then continue with the shield if he feeds better....he should get used to the taste and feel of your skin.
also if he's ever wanting to suckle (like on a dummy) instead take some time and put him to the breast.

I've found that with women who only use nipple shields, it can prevent them from producing a huge amount of milk as they dont have the skin to skin connection that makes the brain relese oxytocin.

good for you to keep going though, and after a c-section, must be tough!

I used nipple shields with my first, for the whole duration. I couldn't have done it any other way. I used the ones which allow for skin to skin around the babies nose, and it didn't affect my supply at all (I could have fed three babies lol!)

Good luck with it :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

i've got the same problem hon, and connor could never latch properly as newborn - all the professionals told me not to use shields and to use formula instead :evil:

but i started using shields, lo-and-behold he could latch, and 9.5 months later we're still bf-ing. :)

he has absolutely no idea what to do with a boob without them though :lol: the problem with them is that the baby doesn't get as much direct contact with your boob to stimulate it and encourage your supply. so some people find that their milk drops off with long term use. i've never had that problem though - i've always eaten lots of oats and taken fenugreek if i've needed a boost. the mam shields are definitely the best IMO.

leckershell also fed full time using shields. and bee uses them too.

Hi I am using shields whilst breastfeeding as my LO has a tongue tie and cannot latch without them. Because of the tongue tie he doesn't feed particularly effectively and so he has one formula feed a day too.

I used nipple shields for the first 8 weekd due to August having a tongue tie and not being able to latch on. We had his tongue released when he was 12 days old, but he still wasn't able to latch on until about 8 weeks.

The counsellor at my breastfeeding support group kept telling me to get off the nipple shields, but I would try and August just wouldn't latch on without them. I was sure that he would never stop needing them, but I kept trying and one day around 8 weeks we were doing some skin to skin and he latched on. We have been going strong ever since. It really increased my supply too.

Keep trying and one day it might just happen. Good luck!

I used them for weeks until i finally got him latch and otherwise i'd still be using them now. They are a great thing for people that otherwise wouldnt be able to breastfeed so dont let the HV make you think they are bad if you need to carry on using them, it doesnt alter the fact youre giving baby breastmilk. :hug: xx

I've been using nipple shields as had the same problem. I was really worried about my supply because all the 'professionals' told me it wouldn't work as my supply would decrease.
I'm using the past tense as just this saturday Lily decided that she no longer wanted to use the shields and is now feeding without! :cheer: I honestly never thought I'd see this happening as I used to try every now and again without and she wouldn't have it.
Coincidentally I've been speaking to lots of different mums recently that had this exact same thing happen to them- some of them bf using them for 7 months or so and then the baby just decided they didn't want to use them- their supply wasn't affected.
I used the mam ones too.
Not sure about the comment about oxytocin as I think this was released in me just fine!

I used them for a good month or so. Made no difference to Baillie latching on without.

Good Luck hun!

Kim x x x x

I used them all the time too. My HV wanted me to stop using them but when I tried it just made Finlay distressed so stuck with them

Mam ones are the best imo ;)

the midwife came to see me today, and she said to just keep using them if it's what works for us, he's still getting breastmilk.
felt good to not be told i was doing the wrong thing; like by the HV.

charlotte_ said:
felt good to not be told i was doing the wrong thing; like by the HV.

Hun thats what HV's do :wink: They have a bad habbit of making you feel like your doing the wrong thing!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back