Night feeds

Blueclass

Reaction score
I'm posting here as more people tend to look here. I'm wondering do you or have you woken your babies to feed in the night? My baby is 4 weeks and people keep telling me don't wake her let her wake us. I'm not sure if this is right or not as a first time one. Any thoughts would be great thanks x

Charlie is 12 days old and I don't wake for night feeds his last feed is around 10 then he wakes normally at 2 am today it was 3.30 am but I wouldn't wake him x

I woke my son every 3-4 hours for his feed....I won't make that mistake again! Took 2.5 hours to get him settled after every feed

I never woke my son, I let him feed on demand and he figured his own routine out. It worked out every 3 hours in the day until the evening and went to 4 and half hours through the night.
I have managed to dream feed a couple of times just for a top up before I went to bed and he didn't wake up x

Don't wake her lovely, get sleep when you can! I also fed on demand and as I was bottle feeding (desp wanted the bf but didn't work out) tried really hard not to be too regimented with routine or amount she was drinking.. When they drink from the breast you don't know how much they're having so I tried to stay chilled with it! That said, if she guzzled 7oz I wouldn't make more ;) Good luck sweet hope you're enjoying your baby xxx

As long as you're happy she's feeding enough throughout the 24 hour period and waking for regular feeds during the day then don't wake her, if you feel you're having to wake her for feeds during the day then I would continue to wake at night for feeds.

Hospital told my friend to wake and feed her daughter at night as she was under 6lb when born, and she still wakes up in the night like routine now, she's almost four years old....

But do what feels right for you and baby xx

DD had big trouble putting on weight so I started doing extra night feeds with her. Otherwise I wouldnt. Even then she didnt really so much wake up as dream feed. The only time I think you have to be more aware is in the first couple of days a small percentage of babies have blood sugar issues which make them overly sleepy and which can be dangerous.

Thanks ladies for all your comments. Im formula feeding most of time and breast in between. I had to givent formula from the beginning as she had jaundice and feel my milk never really got to build up because of it. I tried to ween her of formula but she was on my boobs constantly and I mean all the time, I couldn't even go to the loo. Iv got abit fed up with it all and feel although I love bf her I just can't keep up with her being on me all the time. X

I never woke my son we let him wake us and will be doing the same this time :) x

I fed my daughter on demand. We didn't get on with bf either. Happy mummy, happy baby, don't beat yourself up about it xxxx

i did for the first week (stopped once she'd regained birth weight) as the hospital said to, i don't think i would next time though.

Thanks ladies for all your comments. Im formula feeding most of time and breast in between. I had to givent formula from the beginning as she had jaundice and feel my milk never really got to build up because of it. I tried to ween her of formula but she was on my boobs constantly and I mean all the time, I couldn't even go to the loo. Iv got abit fed up with it all and feel although I love bf her I just can't keep up with her being on me all the time. X

It sounds like you are getting on okay but incase it helps. The on the boobs thing usually has to do with building up your supply, which makes sense if you were trying to cut back the formula. It usually only lasts 2 or 3 days. If it is persistent it can be to do with latch problems.

Yeah its all just a bit much I get annoyed and think oh sod it. I'm still expressing alittle bit so she can have formula and breast milk. X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back