Night feeds nappy changing & winding

Rayoflight

Reaction score
Hi girls,

For those of you who's babies don't sleep through yet, when you feed them in the night and they fall asleep during their feed do you still wind them and change their bum?

I've been waking him up if he does this and making sure I burp him and change him. Means it can take 2 hours from initial feeding to settling.

In my head I figure it can't be that bad to leave it (bum change) because if he slept through I wouldn't be waking him up to change his nappy would i? Or am I just being totally lazy if I don't?

What do you all do?

Tegan has started waking in the night again (3 times a night actually, fun) i used to change her bum but then it'd take another hour to get her back to sleep so i don't bother anymore Hun x

I only change his bum if he's done a poo. I still burp him but only cos I put him on my chest after a feed because of his reflux so he burps then even though he's asleep!

i was advised never to change during night unless reallllly wet or poo.... thank god it was v v rare lol i literally bobbed bottle in and quick wind and down i got dimmer light too from argos so barely anylight cos didnt wanna disturb her :) xx

I asked the same question a few weeks ago :) I never used to wind but if I keep the lights off and don't talk to her I gentle pull her to my shoulder, she generally burps and stays sleepy. Then it's back to sleep. I don't change her either, if she was a "normal" baby she would be in her nappy all night.

Tonight she went to bed at half 7, woke at half 8, took a big feed and slept until 1:30 then she's up now but back to sleep again. I got her up at half 6 to encourage her to last longer at night. Not impressed with two night feeds but I'll get over it.

Emma x

I'm using reusable nappies in day time but have gone back to disposables for nights so its not wetness waking him and hopefully he will start sleeping more so I can generally skip one change a night unless I have heard him/can smell he has done a poo. When I do change him I do it once he has finished one side so that he then goes back on to finish off his feed and get sleepy, then upright on my chest to bring up any wind and then I put him back down.

Every nappy is as dirty one with Blake. It's very rare that it's not just wet.

I grab Oscar as he is stirring and bring him in my bed if he's not there already and feed him back to sleep. I never change him in the night ( he stopped filling every nappy at about 6 weeks ish). I usually fall asleep whilst feeding . So hopefully I'm never awake for more than 10 mins. Don't burp him any more and I've never woke him for a feed xx

Saying that he sometimes lies here thrashing about between feeds. Don't know what that's all about but it bloody keeps me awake!

same as everyone else really. Owen feeds once or twice a night, never chnage his nappy, he burps on me when he is put upright as always sleepy if not asleep after a night feed

Seb doesn't really 'wake' for a feed (like with eyes open) but what I do is feed him, when he indicates he needs winding I pop him on my shoulder to burp then check his nappy, if it's really full I'll change it and he rarely wakes properly, then finish the feed so even if he's woken up he goes back off to sleep. It might take 45 minutes at the most.

i was reading my NHS birth to five book that i was given by the HV the other day, and it says if they poo then you prob should change it, but with as little disturbance as poss. which i thought was a bit stupid considering your gonna have to take their clothes off and stuff! or at least be undoing the bottom half! i think if it were me and like you say he rarely has a nappy without poo, i would change it. bit of a pain though considering its night time and it takes 2 hours from start to finish, i guess in time they start to sleep through better? and also if you know hes poo'd then i think preventing nappy rash is an added bonus with changing the nappy, xx

I used to change h half way through a feed if his nappy was full when he was waking in the night that way I had enough milk left to settle him back down and it used to take about 30-45 mins! I found he was happier to be changed with a half full belly rather than before or after a feed! And yes I always winded him but I tried to be softer so not to fully wake him!

Ollie wakes around 2/3.30am for a feed and I keep just the nightlight on, make his bottle, pop him on the bed and change his nappy quietly (although the ripping of the nappy tapes and crunch of the wipes packet make be cringe sometimes cos they are so LOUD), redress him, feed, a quick wind and back down in his crib. This morning took 26 minutes from start to finish!!
Ollie only poo's once a day and mostly around 9am so not encountered a nighttime dirty one for a while now thankfully!

noa goes to bed 8.30 n wakes up at 2. i have learned with him that if i dont change him he eat less n i be up after 2 hours again. so whhen he starts stirring at 2 on the dot :) i feed one boob, change him (no talkin n only a quick whipe if its only a wee), back to bed for second boob. this take about 35 min. if i dont change him, demba does when he gets up at 6. but normally i do at 2.

I normally do the nappy change first then feed till she falls asleep on the boob, and if I remember to give her infacol before the feed she does a nice big burp straight away without waking up :) If I forget the infacol then it can take up to 20 minutes to get a good burp and after that time she's either in too deep a sleep to burp or wide awake!
Tbh if I hear her do a poo when she's fast asleep I'll wait till she wakes up to change her - I know it sounds like I'm leaving her laying in a dirty nappy but I'm too desperate for sleep right now to do everything exactly how you should! OH tells me off but he's not the one who's going mental from exhaustion lol

I feed Isla on one side, wind her and then change her nappy to wake her up again and then feed her on the other side.

Thanks for the replies.

He's just slept for 6 hours and is still very very sleepy. I'm struggling to get him to take a full feed.

Figure it can't harm him this once to not change him and am going to put him back to bed in a min.

Noa is still sleeping (im up early as we got babygroup) I didnt change him diring the night and i can tell cuz he keeps stirring, i dont think hes comfy.

I didn't change Lizzie last night because she only did a teeny poo and it wasn't bothering her at all, she went straight back to sleep after a feed at 3am. It was the first night I haven't changed her and the first night I've used Pampers nappies instead of cheaper own brand ones. I definitely think they absorbed the wee better so will be using them at night and cheaper ones in the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back