Newbie Checklist

JeezLouise

Reaction score
Hello Lovelies,

Hubbie and I decided one very drunken night at the start of December that we would start TTC this year. Ever since we've been trying to do our homework and swotted up on all this baby-making marlarky, but being the stupidly obsessive type I'm just wondering if there's anything we've missed.

I'm on CD2 at the moment (a month ago I had no ideas what my cycle was - can't believe I'm using all the short versions for stuff!) so we'll be, ahem, getting started by BDing (BD - theres another one!) every day/other day from when AF (I'm on a roll!) finishes at the start of next week.

So far I am:
  • taking folic acid supplement
  • avoiding alcohol
  • doing a three mile walk most days
  • eating my greens (ewww!)
  • making DH wear his "breeziest" undercrackers

Logically of course I know that the human race have been making babies for thousands of years without the help of the internet or fertility friend but I just have a weird feeling that spending my adult life trying NOT To get pregnant might come back and bite me on the ass! Is there anything missing that you would add to my list (apart from trying to relax - I'm one of life's natural born worriers and no amount of meditation, yoga and green tea can stop me!).

Looking forwards to getting some advice from all you experts out there!

Love and luck to all,
Lou xx

Welcome to PF!!!

Good luck in your journey hon.

It sounds as though you are doing all of the right things. They do say that DTD every other day throughout the month is better than tracking ovulation. However if you do want to track your ovulation I would suggest you buy the ovulations sticks. You can get them from Amazing (they are £5.50 for 30) and start peeing on them when the form tell you too (normally jusr before half way through your cycle). That way you will know exactely when you are about to ovulate and when your most fertile time is.

I would also take EPO up to ovulation as this balanes your hormones and legs up in the air after DTD for 5 minutes to give the swimmers a head start!

Finally buy some pressed or conceive lubricant. This is sperm friendly and will help the little swimmers on their way. Some lube is not sperm friendly. We used baby oil for ages until realised that it will not very good. We now refer to it as 'devil oil'! lol.

Anyway good luck hon. I love hearing about the girls who are starting out on thier journey.

Baby dust to you.

Love Gizzy xxxx

Hello Lovelies,

Hubbie and I decided one very drunken night at the start of December that we would start TTC this year. Ever since we've been trying to do our homework and swotted up on all this baby-making marlarky, but being the stupidly obsessive type I'm just wondering if there's anything we've missed.

I'm on CD2 at the moment (a month ago I had no ideas what my cycle was - can't believe I'm using all the short versions for stuff!) so we'll be, ahem, getting started by BDing (BD - theres another one!) every day/other day from when AF (I'm on a roll!) finishes at the start of next week.

So far I am:
  • taking folic acid supplement
  • avoiding alcohol
  • doing a three mile walk most days
  • eating my greens (ewww!)
  • making DH wear his "breeziest" undercrackers
Logically of course I know that the human race have been making babies for thousands of years without the help of the internet or fertility friend but I just have a weird feeling that spending my adult life trying NOT To get pregnant might come back and bite me on the ass! Is there anything missing that you would add to my list (apart from trying to relax - I'm one of life's natural born worriers and no amount of meditation, yoga and green tea can stop me!).

Looking forwards to getting some advice from all you experts out there!

Love and luck to all,
Lou xx

Hey Lou and welcome,

You already seem well up on the lingo (I still have to look things up now ha ha!)

I can't believe that a year ago I didn't even know I wanted to start TTC and here I am....

It's exciting and frustrating as it can take time (hopefully it won't for you though!)

From one worrier to another I cannot give you any pointers on how to relax BUT I would say this place is amazing.

Best wishes and it's lovely to 'meet' you!

xxxxxx

Wow that was quick - you lot don't hang about!

Gizzy Kelly - thanks for the extra info, I've opbviously not done enough homework on the lingo - had to google EPO but when DH is on his lunchbreak I'll tell him to get some! OPK sticks are in the post, just cheapies from amazon. Is it weird to be excited about weeing on a stick? Oops, I mean POAS! Probably TMI but we don't usually use lube anyway, but it's still all good to know...I'll keep that one on the backburner and if we're having trouble I can give it a go further down the line. Thanks so much! It's great to just have all these little nuggets of extra advice.

CARNAT22 - Hope our journeys are all more exciting than frustrating. I get wound up quite easily when things don't go my way (I sound like a brat I know), especially when I'm trying my hardest. Looks like its going to be a bit of an emotional rollercoaster but its brilliant to have a site like this to turn to for support.

Thanks again ladies and love and luck to all
Lou xx

Hey! Welcome, i'm relatively new too and new to ttc also! no luck as of yet though!! hopf we dont all have to wait too long for our bfp's! xx

Thanks jules84. Can I ask if there's anything you deliberately are/aren't doing because your TTC?

Thank you!
xx

Hello and welcome aboard the TTC ship!
Is your hubbie taking any supplements? I would strongly advise your hubbie takes a zinc supplement as it helps there swimmers. Men lose a really high percentage of there bodies store of zinc everytime they ejaculate.
Im a worrier too, I find it incredibly hard to relax however I have found giving up caffeine has helped greatly, aso chamomile tea is excellent as is valerian tea (designed to help you sleep but really helps you relax.
I hope you get your bfp soon! Fx and lots of baby dust :dust: xxx

Thanks jules84. Can I ask if there's anything you deliberately are/aren't doing because your TTC?

Thank you!
xx

EPO is recommended by some (only from CD1 to ovulation though) someone else will be able to tell you what it does? I think it helps stimulate EWCM but I don't personally use it?

xxxxxxxx

fairycake - hubby already takes a daily multivitamin (when he remembers!), I'll check if it has zinc, if not its going on his lunchtime shopping list! Thanks for the advice and the warm welcome.

CARNAT22 - I think your right about the EPO, might leave it and see how I go. Might be another one for the back burner for a few months if still no bfp.

As always thanks for the advice.

Love and luck to everyone,
Lou xx

Hi hun
Iv been ttc since we got married in july so nearly 6 months now.

I have cut out alcohol and caffeine since ttc....and when i am in my 2ww i also avoid some foods that they say you shouldnt really eat when pegnant (as effectively during the 2ww you could be pregnant)....such as prawns, soft cheese etc....im in my 2ww at the moment as me and mum are going to clean gramps house today and do his garden, but iv said il only do lawn and nothing with the soil as apparently it cn be harmful if cat mess is in it or anything (apparently...dont wanna take any risks tho)

When BD'ing the best positions to conceive in are missionary and doggy style...they give the swimmers best chance.....I then lie with legs in airand pillow under bum for 30 minutes (seems a long time but if it works then go 4 it isnt it)
Im on folic acid, and Im using ovulation sticks and temping.....you can also tell when you are oving by your cervical mucus, which around ov is like raw egg white (tho mine seems to be a bit more watery than this)
There is also the SMEP method (sperm meets egg plan)...i did that this month and im so glad i have as it means if af does arrive that i know iv done all i could.....basically you start on cd 10 poas with opks every day, and you bd every other day....then the day you get a positive opk you bd that day, then the following 2 days...leave a day and bd the next (so 3 days, miss one day, then one more day for good luck lol)

Are your cycles regular? Mine are a bit irregular (last cycle was 81 days) so i started taking agnus castus but if ur cycles are regular you wont need this.

Ummmm i think thats all iv got for you for now lol sorry abou the essay i just know how much there is to learn and like you i am a worrier/stress head lol

good luck anyway hun xxxx

Hi Bellarina,

Essays are great! I wanted to pick everybodies brains and everything is useful. Great info on positioins. I am in no way green fingered - we live in a city centre flat and I'm not exactly the outdoorsy type, but you never know what weird situations you might get into so its good to know to avoid the soil!

SMEP sounds like a good starting point, I didnt want to be too rigid in setting out a programme for BDing, we mostly do everyday anyway...should we be having less sex to conceive? Will the swimmers be better or something? Confusing!

Thankfully I have cycles between 28-30 days and have never been late or missed a period, we use condoms because I go doolally on the pill and didnt fancy having a coil/implant in case they sent me equally crazy! I am overweight though so I need to do something about that asap.

I do love my prawns, cafeeine, cheeses, pate, mayo...but the sacrifices will be worth it!

Thanks so much for the advice, I really just want as much info as possible. Like you said, if it doesn't happen I still want to know I did everything I could, then I think I'll be able to accept it more easily.

Love and luck,
Lou xx

Well i eat relatively healthy anyway and do regular exercise, the only thing im doing different is 'limiting ' the wine and folic acid so no more than you hun,

when i wasnt ttc, it felt like as soon as i got rid of af she was back again lol now im willing the months away to see if shes going to arrive or not - strange?! xx

Hi Bellarina,

SMEP sounds like a good starting point, I didnt want to be too rigid in setting out a programme for BDing, we mostly do everyday anyway...should we be having less sex to conceive? Will the swimmers be better or something? Confusing!

Ummm there seem to be differing opinions on this...but iv read a report that says wen ovulating its good to bd every day as you are getting fresh sperm every day...butyou may not get as much of it but what you do get should be good. me and dh bd'ed 4 days in a row last weeked coz i was oving, so at least i know iv done all i can so cant beat myself up if af arrives

xxx

Hi Bellarina,

Thankfully I have cycles between 28-30 days and have never been late or missed a period, we use condoms because I go doolally on the pill and didnt fancy having a coil/implant in case they sent me equally crazy! I am overweight though so I need to do something about that asap.

Love and luck,
Lou xx

My Fitness Pal is the place for weight loss hun - it's free and there are a few of us from here on there! We keep it quiet thta we're TTC though.

I am at a healthy weight but I still log on to this site every day to keep me on the straight and narrow.

I haven't tried SMEP yet, we BD every day around Ov though...

xxxxxxxx

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back