New to this section

Tinkerbell3

Reaction score
Haven't been on this site for a while, wanted to be more relaxed about the whole TTC thing but we have now been reffered to Guy's assisted conception unit and I'm back :wave:

We had our first appointment yesterday and now need to do day 3 & 21 bloods and a Hycosy scan for me and SA for OH then we'll go back for results to discuss findings/where to go next.

Just wondering has anyone had a Hycosy? how was it? were you given medication to take? I've been given 3 different lots that need taking just before and following it.

Hi tinkerbell. Yes me hun, i have also had the hystrocoscopy, laprocoscopy too.

I never had to take any meds before the hycosy i.e hsg. It took about 20 minutes the proceedur, it has to be done just after period & you have to phone them as soon as you are on day 1 of af, is this the same for you ?

They lay you down & use a spectular like the ones they use with smears, then insert a very thin catherter which has dye in, they release the dye in your tubes which can be a bit painfull like af pains while its flushing through, then they take the images i.e a xray is above the table. As soon as they see the dye flush out then they take another xray to confirm its gone & then give you a san towel to wear incase the dye comes out & some have light spotting, as i did. They tell you there & then if your tubes are blocked or not & you can go home straight away. It took about 20 minutes when i had it done & was home within the hr.

What are the meds they give you to take before & after ? never heard of them doing this before.

Goodluck hun.
xx

Last edited:
I had to have a week's antibiotics, starting 2 days before hsg. They says it's as there's a small infection risk and that should prevent infection taking hold

They must not care at my hospital cause they never give me them lol. Good job i was ok afterwards, they did mention to not use tampons due to infection but thats about it. x

Hi tinkerbell. Yes me hun, i have also had the hystrocoscopy, laprocoscopy too.

I never had to take any meds before the hycosy i.e hsg. It took about 20 minutes the proceedur, it has to be done just after period & you have to phone them as soon as you are on day 1 of af, is this the same for you ?

They lay you down & use a spectular like the ones they use with smears, then insert a very thin catherter which has dye in, they release the dye in your tubes which can be a bit painfull like af pains while its flushing through, then they take the images i.e a xray is above the table. As soon as they see the dye flush out then they take another xray to confirm its gone & then give you a san towel to wear incase the dye comes out & some have light spotting, as i did. They tell you there & then if your tubes are blocked or not & you can go home straight away. It took about 20 minutes when i had it done & was home within the hr.

What are the meds they give you to take before & after ? never heard of them doing this before.

Goodluck hun.
xx

Yep I'm to call on Day 1 of my next cycle and was told it would be booked for around week 2-3 of my cycle and we're not to have unprotected cycle during that cycle.
It sounds exactly like what you had done but will be with Ultrasound instead of Xray and saline is used instead of a dye.

I've been given a 5 days course of Doxycycline to start the morning of the test (no probs witht hat I've had it before for chest infections), and 2 suppositories :shock::blush: one is another antiboitic called Metronidazole and one is a pain killer I think but can't remember what it's called.

I had to have a week's antibiotics, starting 2 days before hsg. They says it's as there's a small infection risk and that should prevent infection taking hold

Yep thats what I was told it's for, but I've got more than 1 lot :roll:

They must not care at my hospital cause they never give me them lol. Good job i was ok afterwards, they did mention to not use tampons due to infection but thats about it. x

Think yourself lucky, once you've read my post above to you where I have to stick 2 of the tablets you will :shock:
I've actually read of more people not been given anything than people that have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back