New bfers (and old)

Best site I've seen in a while thanks!

Interesting to see the don;t think spicy food etc is a problem, I've had a feeling it wasn't such a big deal as I like spicy stuff and L is fine.

That pic of the mum standing on her head to feed it great.

Great site!!!!! It's amazing how much of this stuff you get told!

That's a great article, sums up everything I believe in bf! If only everyone was offered some of this advice from the start then maybe they would have more realistic expectations and be able to continue bf. I hate reading posts where hv have advised to give formula top ups to stop baby from cluster feeding, or because they haven't put on a lot of weight, it's perfectly normal to cluster feed and for bf babies weight to fluctuate, but if a hv is telling you it isn't then as a new mum you'll just accept its right. My hv told me my baby should be having formula top ups even when he was weighing spot on his percentile line, I questioned it and said why and they said well your baby crys a lot so he seems hungry and needs formula, I was furious I told them I was ebf and not a drop of formula would be given to him as my milk was fine and he wasn't hungry he was crying cos he was a newborn that's how they communicate ffs, plus he had colic, the hv then basically accused me of being a bad mum for not considering formula. It's a good job I was strong in my decision to bf cos it took a lot of bloody will power and fighting people's opposition (my mum, hv's etc) to continue, but my baby is happy healthy, he has gone from 9th to 75th percentile and is as content as can be and all from my milk. I do ff him now since he turned 6 mths but that was always the plan as I go back to work soon and can't bf him, but I'm proud of the 6 mths I did :)

I'm dreading my HV suggesting a formula top up, G has dropped a bit in weight - she seemed to have a huge jump at the beginning, but isn't gaining as fast as she should, so they want us back for a weigh in next week. It's gonna be hard to stick to my guns if she's still not gaining enough. Xxx

I'm dreading my HV suggesting a formula top up, G has dropped a bit in weight - she seemed to have a huge jump at the beginning, but isn't gaining as fast as she should, so they want us back for a weigh in next week. It's gonna be hard to stick to my guns if she's still not gaining enough. Xxx

Awww hon I know it's tough but if you don't want to give formula top ups don't be bullied into it. If G is gaining that's the most important thing, babies' weight do fluctuate especially bf babies. If they are pushing you why not offer to come back and get her weighed a few more times before they jump to ff. I know it can be tough especially if they make you feel like a bad mummy, but if G is gaining weight (no matter how small), isn't dehydrated and seems happy then it isn't an urgent situation so can be given time to work itself out before jumping to formula xxxxx

That's a great article, sums up everything I believe in bf! If only everyone was offered some of this advice from the start then maybe they would have more realistic expectations and be able to continue bf. I hate reading posts where hv have advised to give formula top ups to stop baby from cluster feeding, or because they haven't put on a lot of weight, it's perfectly normal to cluster feed and for bf babies weight to fluctuate, but if a hv is telling you it isn't then as a new mum you'll just accept its right. My hv told me my baby should be having formula top ups even when he was weighing spot on his percentile line, I questioned it and said why and they said well your baby crys a lot so he seems hungry and needs formula, I was furious I told them I was ebf and not a drop of formula would be given to him as my milk was fine and he wasn't hungry he was crying cos he was a newborn that's how they communicate ffs, plus he had colic, the hv then basically accused me of being a bad mum for not considering formula. It's a good job I was strong in my decision to bf cos it took a lot of bloody will power and fighting people's opposition (my mum, hv's etc) to continue, but my baby is happy healthy, he has gone from 9th to 75th percentile and is as content as can be and all from my milk. I do ff him now since he turned 6 mths but that was always the plan as I go back to work soon and can't bf him, but I'm proud of the 6 mths I did :)

I agree! K lost "too much" weight and the nurses and docs pretty much scared me into topping her up. I was sooo worried I was starving her! It completely messed up my supply because I topped her up. Fortunately with the help of the lovely pf ladies and a lactation consultant, I was able to build my supply up and am now ebf. She only gained 6 oz in two weeks, 2 oz less than they wanted, so they advised top ups again, but she won't take a bottle any more anyway. She seems content anyway. I would assume as long as a baby is gaining and content, there isn't a problem. Surely some babies are just naturally thinner than others.

Awww hon I know it's tough but if you don't want to give formula top ups don't be bullied into it. If G is gaining that's the most important thing, babies' weight do fluctuate especially bf babies. If they are pushing you why not offer to come back and get her weighed a few more times before they jump to ff. I know it can be tough especially if they make you feel like a bad mummy, but if G is gaining weight (no matter how small), isn't dehydrated and seems happy then it isn't an urgent situation so can be given time to work itself out before jumping to formula xxxxx

She is gaining, she's just dropped her line a wee bit. And she seems fine, fingers crossed shes put a bit more on this week.

Great article, read it during my 4am feed! Makes you feel so much better at that time when your tired that your doing the right thing x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I read that this morning and have just given it to hubby to read

A lovely article to put our worst night into perspective xx

I read it during my 3 AM feed, was fascinating! It is a bit biased though, I never felt any pressure to FF, quite the contrary.

In fact, not being the sort of person to like being told what to do, it's quite shocking the enormous pressure to BF didn't make me flip and do the opposite.

i got it from my bf groups facebook page. i actually couldnt read it all it was making me too weepy. i have become a weepy wreck since having Alyssa lol

i got it from my bf groups facebook page. i actually couldnt read it all it was making me too weepy. i have become a weepy wreck since having Alyssa lol
Me too, and haven't been like that with my pregnancy at all! I cried during an advert for a donkey charity the other day!!:shock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back