New growth charts

Tasha20

Reaction score
Just found this on another site :D

http://www.who.int/nutrition/media_page/en/
Just in case anyone is interested the world health organisation have published their new growth charts based on breast fed babies rather than formula fed babies.

The World Health Organisation has published new infant growth charts which use breastfed babies as the optimum size, replacing 40-year-old growth charts which were based largely on formula fed babies.
This is great news for health professionals wanting to support breastfeeding, as it no longer means that the typical formula fed baby is seen as the norm. Because breastfed babies are typically lean, the shape of the growth curve in the new WHO Child Growth Standards differs from the existing one, particularly during the first six months of life when growth is rapid.
Since the late 1970s, the National Centre for Health Statistics/WHO growth reference has been in use to chart children's growth. This reference was based on data from a limited sample of children in the United States who were a random mixture of breastfed, formula fed or both.
The new standards are based on the breastfed child as the norm for growth and development. This brings coherence for the first time between the tools used to assess growth, and infant feeding guidelines which recommend breastfeeding as the optimal source of nutrition during infancy.
Using the new charts it should now be easier to accurately assess, measure and evaluate breastfeeding and complementary feeding, and ensure that breastfeeding mothers are no longer being given misleading advice about the weight of their babies.
The new WHO growth charts are based on a study of more than 8,000 children around the world raised in environments that promote healthy growth, such as breastfeeding, healthy diets and adequate healthcare. Their mothers did not smoke before or after pregnancy. The study has shown that given the optimum start in life, children from different regions of the world all have the potential to grow and develop within a similar range. So for the first time, the charts will give a prescriptive definition of optimum growth for all children, rather than simply describing average growth.

Thx for that. I have just been reading about it so have printed them off gonna plot them myself :D

well done tash - you clever girl :clap: :clap:

will plot Grace's weight in a minute - thanks :)

Hey, thanks for that. I have just plotted Ellies against. On the red book charts she took a dip with respect to the 50th percentile line she had been following between 5 and 7 months. However following this chart she exactly follows the middle line all the way through not dipping at all.

I dont know if you remember but a little while back i was gettin worried bout ella's weight gain or lack of...

when i went to clinic they gave me a growth chart for exclusively breastfed babies..

aparently she shud have had one from birth but the HV put the wrong one in :roll:

so on her other chart she was dropping from the 91st to the 50th..

on the bf chart she is bang on the 50th and has followed it from birth :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back