Breastfeeding, expressing and books!

Sal C

Reaction score
I have had a couple of friends who have had difficulties breastfeeding. I want to buy a book that gives good tips on how to be successful but which also tells you about expressing (I'm keen to do this quite a bit so that my DH can be more involved with feeding) and therefore also gives advice about bottle feeding including formula.

So many breastfeeding books are really anti-formula. I want something which isn't going to make me feel a failure if I'm not successful and when to give up or top up with formula.

Can anyone recommend any good books?

Can anyone also offer advice on which breast pumps are good?

I've obviously not started breastfeeding yet as my baby doesn't seem to want to make an entrance!!!

Tangerinedream sent me a book which I've been reading over the weekend and though I'm only upto page 45 of 180 something, it seems very thorough and seems to be quite helpful!

It's called "What to expect when you're breast-feeding... and what if you can't?" by Clare Byam-Cook.

I've checked the contents and it has a couple of pages on expressing, 11 pages on Bottle Feeding, and centres the rest of the book around common problems during breastfeeding and how to fix these problems, positioning and making sure the baby latches on ok...

Here's an ebay link - this is the one I've got.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/What-To-Expect-Wh ... dZViewItem

People who read books and have also breastfed already may be able to help you more, but thought I'd suggest this one as it seems quite good to me :)

michelle x

Sal, there are breast feeding support and expressing support sticky threads on the Babies and Toddlers - Feeding and Nutritionforum.

I found the Avent hand pump better for expressing. The Tommee Tippee one was OK but took a lot of pumping to get the same amount off, and once I was back at work I was having to pump a lot of milk off. However the impression I am getting from other comments is that you shape probably makes quite a bit of difference to which one you get on with.

To be honest I don't think there is a book that can help you to breastfeed, the best thing to have is a support group or a lactation counselleur/ peer support person who can be there to give advice. There are breastfeeding classes offered antenatally which can be useful but I would really recommend finding out where the nearest support group is.

There are a number of books out there, including the one Leckershell recommended which a few people on here have recommended in the past (though have to admit I am not a fan of hers whatsoever). However I haven't come across many that are anti formula, I even have the La Leche League one and not found it to be anti-formula in the slightest. They don't talk about it, and they do quote the benefits of breastfeeding but don't put formula down :?

Just remembered... there's a DVD in your Bounty pack from Avent... it's about 15 mins and shows you breastfeeding basics. Let me know if you don't have it as I may have a spare..

But yeah, you can get breastfeeding classes and groups so look those up too...

:)

leckershell said:
Just remembered... there's a DVD in your Bounty pack from Avent... it's about 15 mins and shows you breastfeeding basics. Let me know if you don't have it as I may have a spare..

:)

I didn't get a DVD in my pack so if you have a spare that would be great! Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back