Need help now - silent reflux ??

queenriccy

Reaction score
Hi girls
I really need some help. Daisy has been so unsettled all week - screaming after feeds when trying to wind her, screaming when I lie her flat, really really unsettled and not napping much during the day, fussing with her milk, bringing up clear liquid which smells like bile.
I spoke to the dr Who is just fobbing me off, iv started her on gaviscon which has blocked her up so I stopped giving her it today. She was taking the bottles a little better with the gaviscon in but still crying and flinging her self around after. I had a callback from the dr this afternoon and I said I took her off gaviscon because she is constipated but the gaviscon wasn't working and he said to sit tight for a few weeks and if it's not any better then to go back .. I explained that no way was I doing that and he gave in and said if she is bad this wkend to call back Monday. She's just taken a bottle with just mlk and has screamed the house down, she is in so much pain and I can't sit and watch her. What the hell do I do ? Hubby suggested changing milk ? I really need something to work, I can go out now and get new milk.

Xx

Hi girls
I really need some help. Daisy has been so unsettled all week - screaming after feeds when trying to wind her, screaming when I lie her flat, really really unsettled and not napping much during the day, fussing with her milk, bringing up clear liquid which smells like bile.
I spoke to the dr Who is just fobbing me off, iv started her on gaviscon which has blocked her up so I stopped giving her it today. She was taking the bottles a little better with the gaviscon in but still crying and flinging her self around after. I had a callback from the dr this afternoon and I said I took her off gaviscon because she is constipated but the gaviscon wasn't working and he said to sit tight for a few weeks and if it's not any better then to go back .. I explained that no way was I doing that and he gave in and said if she is bad this wkend to call back Monday. She's just taken a bottle with just mlk and has screamed the house down, she is in so much pain and I can't sit and watch her. What the hell do I do ? Hubby suggested changing milk ? I really need something to work, I can go out now and get new milk.

Xx

How many sachets of the gaviscon were you giving? I know you are meant to give 2 for over 10lb but I just give the 1 I felt the 2 was unsettling my babies too much and giving them tummy ache / trapped wind. TBH the gaviscon is helping, they can still be sickly but nowhere near like they were. I initially took my babies off it to begin with as I thought it was causing them pain but I gave it a second chance and so far so good. They are not constipated but their poo is noticeably harder, but as long as they are having their dirty nappys then it's okay.

You can get the comfort milk or anti reflux milk. The anti reflux milk for us made things a whole lot worse but it's different for everyone I guess.

Hi this happened to me and my lg stopped eating, ended up in a&e when she was 7 weeks old. They diagnosed a dairy allergy and put her on prescription milk. Immediate change and calmer baby. Two days later still had reflux so was then put on ranitidine. The combination of the two gave me my happy chilled baby. They were fab at a&e as she was so young, a paediatric doctor was sent for and they were brilliant. Keep pushing, ask to speak to another doctor, don't forget they aren't the ones with a screaming child, you know your baby best. Good luck.

I second what Lols said. My baby was under 10lb when I had this issue and was supposed to get a sachet but I would only give half a sachet as I didn't want her getting constipated. Try giving slightly less? I tried to only give it at the times of day she was worst as well, was very trial and error. Also I would give her a tiny bit of water (only about 1oz) if she was backed up and it seemed to make her go pretty quickly. She did grow out of it X

Hi queenriccy I'm sorry you're going through this and poor Daisy. Matthew had silent reflux and was very like what you described minus the clear liquid. We tried gaviscon and same, made him constipated so stopped that cold turkey, stupidly!! I remember that bottle after we stopped the gaviscon he was screaming for hours. We then tried renitidine which helped a bit but not completely. Ended up with omeprezole which sorted him out. Keep on at your doctor, she is obviously in pain and they shouldn't ignore that. It also has an effect on you so don't be afraid to tell the doctor you're finding it hard to cope with. Hugs to you I do she gets some relief soon xxx

My LO is like this when she is constipated. We now give her cool boiled water in between feeds - about an oz. We also do tummy massages, hold her in a squat position and do leg cycling etc to get things going. Sometimes the screams are unbearable and seeing her so uncomfortable is horrendous, but once she gets the poo out she's fine! I spoke to a pharmacist yesterday when picking up my antibiotics and he said that constipated babies struggle more with wind and if you think about the times they do it, i.e. during/after feeds, it makes sense - our LO is burping less even with infacol, as she can fart more freely, but when constipated she struggles to fart. It's a vicious cycle!

Hi girls,
Thanks for all your help - I suppose I just need some help, even though she is my second I am still clueless.
She settled with daddy not long after o posted this, and she laid on the couch talking for a good 50 mins. I popped her in a nice warm bath and we had half hour of tummy massage, cycling and holding her knees up and I helped her get a poo out - poor baby screamed and it was solid :-( but once I'd changed her she fell straight to sleep.
I'm going to ring the docs in the morning and get to see a different doctor. It's just so hard with having Olly to look after, he needs a lot of my attention and Iv found today one of the hardest. Hubby made me a lovely stir fry for tea, I was famished - Iv survived on 5 hobnobs all day xx

Hey love

My LO did the same. He was on sma gold and ended up comfort eating to curb the pain, it went round in circles between reflux and constipation.

We were gove n gaviscon which wasn't in stock so I ended up swapping him to cow and gate stage 1 as it was thicker and creamier, he changed over a few days. I had to cut his feeds to 1oz an hr then eventually he went back to his usual routine of 4oz every 4h then fed fine since.

GP and HV both gave diff opinions none of which helped I ended up doing it myself.

I didn't want to give gaviscon as it does tend to constipate them which wouldn't have helped as he overate so was bunged up.
Good luck!

xxxx

Last edited:
Can you get some cupboard snack food in? My partner works lates every other week so he's pretty much out from 12pm - 10:30pm. On these days I so rarely get to eat proper meals or food, but I have some fruit bars, nuts, small packet food, Graze boxes etc in the cupboard to just grab quickly and fruit too. I know it's hard when you're looking after LO especially when they are like this, but you must look after you too xo

Check out lactose intolerance too while you are there try rule out more than one thing. Reflux should be able to be checked via PH of the breath x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back