• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

need a list / the buying for baby thread

purpleisa

Reaction score
Hi all

Just wondering if anyone had a good link to a list of all the things we need for baby.

I didn't use a list last time just bought the stuff (and forgot the change mat!! - but was so convinced I'd bought one I sent DH upstairs looking for it when I first got DD home!!).

This time I'm finding it harder to keep track as I have some stuff already, have offers of 2nd hand stuff and offers from family to buy certain things and although there is much less to buy it seems more difficult to stay in control.... (either that or I'm just more confused :confused:). I also didn't buy until about 34 weeks last time (went into serious denial!!) so I was getting it all at once.

Anyway - just thought if anyone had a good list they could post it here and we talk about what to buy/avoid - there does seem to be a lot of gimmicky things out there that we may not need

Thanks

Lx

That would certainly be a great help for me! It's not easy being a first timer and trying not to get duped by all of the gimmicks!

OK, here goes (i got this list out of a book - mixture of stuff for us and baby)

cot and matress
fitted cot sheets
3-6 blankets
change bag
pushchair/travel system/car seat
crib
steriliser
breast pump
breast pads
cotton wool
baby oil
nappies
baby wipes
soft sponges
grooming set
shampoo
baby bath
feeding bottles
bath seat
bath thermometer
changing mat
bounce chair/swing
nursing bras x 3
nipple cream
bottle and teat brushes
bottle insulators
vests x 8
sleepsuits x 8
cardigans x 3
snowsuit x1
socks x 3
hats x 2
mittens x 2 shawl x1
jacket x1 muslins x12
soft towels x 4
nappy sacks
wash mits
talc
dummies

From that list I never used my grooming set or bottle insulators.

Also unless u live in a flat or bungalow I wouldn't bother with a changing unit unless ur gonna keep it in ur front room. Much easier and nicer to use a changin mat that baby can lay and have a kick on which can't b done on the unit due to risks of falls. Wiv all my babies u just had a changing box and a mat that I could stash behind the sofa out of sight xx

i didnt include change unit for that reason, think they are so uneccessary personally! i got my changing mat with my free change bag and am just planning on using that on the floor or bed or wherever! thanks for the advice on grooming stuff and bottle insulators, i do have both but got the grooming stuff reeeely cheap with like thermometer and all that, and my friend gave me 2 of her TT bottle insulators so not a huge loss! xx

Ladies, you forgot a nice bottle of wine at the bottom of that list for us deserving mummies :)

and a stash of brie and pate for thse who missed out n the xmas nosh for the Jan babies

my advice is dont get too much you will get lots of presents, and just get the essentials for the 1st few days and worse case senario and people dont get the things you need as gifts gives you a wee chance to get out and pick up some new things xx

Wayhey!! Thanks everyone.

Lexi - great list! Thanks for taking the time to post it - I'm sure it will be a big help to us all. I didn't use talc, bottle insulators or any breastfeeding stuff (gave up day 4 last time but determined to try again!) last time. I also was so convinced by the breastfeeding classes that it would be possible (bordering on a doddle) that I hadn't bought bottles/formula/steriliser/blah blah blah which resulted in a mad (£80!!) dash round Boots on the way home from the hospital with baby!!!! Got my (microwave) steriliser for a fiver this time - in a shop called Home Bargains - which has lots of reasonably priced baby stuff..

I'm off to check out remember the nappies now ...

And then freak out again cos oh-my-god-I'm-really-gonna-have-another-baby-and it-is-starting-to-get-really-real!!!!!!!!!!

Then at the weekend - lots of (online - soo lazy) shopping - hooray!!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back