Natural Birth With Piles? (TMI warning)

purplehippy

Reaction score
Has anyone previously given birth naturally, who had piles?

I felt fine about everything until I realised I was developing them. They are on the outside, and it's not like there's that much space between Le Bumhole and the ladyhole. I am crapping myself (not literally...) about how different this is going to make it, pain-wise. I wasn't told til the other week that I can use a cream, otherwise I think they wouldn't have got like this.

I'm extremely sensitive, physically, and do not cope with pain well - my threshold is very low (once upon a time it was the opposite) and I'm very upset about the whole birth thing because I already know thanks to last thurs's hospital trip that I can't get my legs apart properly and there's a lot of positions I can't manage, because of the SPD etc.

Now I'm more concerned and anxious because of the frickin' piles.

Help me?

I'll be back on here as often as I can to check messages. Induction in a few weeks, providing my iron levels go back up (so much for 'your haemoglobin levels are low' - it's called anaemia, duh, they had me all worried when the registrar said I haven't got enough blood...)

Me, I had massive piles, just as you have described. They swelled massively in my last month and I had to have a diagonal episiotomy because they were so big. They were too big for the cream to have an effect and I am left now with a small residual skin tag which is painless. I can't say that I noticed them during labour and delivery, I was too involved with the contractions. I feel for you hun, I know how painful they can be xx

Thank you, it's good to hear from someone who's been there.

I can't believe I wasn't helpfully informed about Anusol earlier - I have never ever had piles in my life and am so upset. And if they will result in my needing an episiotomy I will KILL my wonderful midwife because she knows that's something I was trying to avoid happening.

They didn't result in my episiotomy, I would have needed one anyway due to twin complications so dont worry about that. Anusol is good for small piles, didn't work at all for me xx

i had them and i was fine , but they will prob pop a pessary up your bum afterwards as they will be very sore afterwards xxx

Go to the doc's and see whether they will give you xyloproct - I had an anal fisure (cut inside) after the birth and the the pain every time I went to the loo......oh sweet Jesus!

Xyloproct cleared it within 2 days - amazing stuff!!

So glad you posted this hun!

I have been suffering with piles since about 4months ago exactly the same as you describe in position of them. Honestly I wouldn't worry about not being told about the cream as none of them help and believe me I Have tried them all.

The creams don't help to shrink them during pregnancy only helps relieve the discomfort.

I spoke to midwife about them concerned that I had brought all the creams and they hadn't gone and midwife said they will be there for the whole pregnancy due to the growing pressure from little baby growing. I heard they can get worse just after delivery and if you didn't develop them during there is a chance of developing them after.

I feel really self concious of them just need to keep reminding myself its nothing they haven't seen before!

Hope everything goes okay for you xx

Im sorry I can't help with the piles question but it looks like you've had a good response.

I was just going to say that I suffer from spd and Ive been seeing a Chiropracter. She's worked miracles on my pelvis and re-set it back into line. Its really helped and I've managed to keep going and probably could manage a decent position to get into labour with now

It's definitely worth considering if you can get to one.

Not exactly the same but as littlestar says I developed piles after delivery. That's something they don't warn you about! Anusol has cleared it up completely now though xx

ahw i really feel for you..i had THE worst piles ever in my first pregnancy.... i had to take a photo of them as i could feel how massive they were but didn't quite believe it until i saw them!!! tmi i know!!!

To be honest i was sort of used to the pain and grief they caused me as i had them for a good few weeks before the birth and i wouldn't say they were any worse during labour and i completely forgot i had them. I did have an epidural though so i didn't feel a thing anyway once that was in place.

Afterwards they were the only part of down below that was sore... even my stitches weren't sore - after the birth you can get straight onto the pessarys and they will work wonders within a few days. You might have them internally too so i think the pessaries are definately the best for making them go away.

There is also a cream called procteseydyl which i was given by the midwife (too late - just like you) which eased it a bit but did not cure them. Apparantly one of the best things you can do is put ice on them every 3-4 hours as often as you can and this will help reduce the swelling a bit...Bit of a hassle but i did that too and the releief -aaaah! I used to put a few frozen peas in a sandwich bag.. put the bag in an old thin sock and just wedge it on the piles. SOunds crazy and you need to keep doing it but its a simple thing to do and is a big relief.

Try not to let it be an additional thing to worry about for labour... i was more worried that the midwives would see them and man they were GROSS, but i didn't even think twice about them once i was in labour!!! they will soon be gone and mine have never returned since - i am praying they willstay away this time x x x take care x x x

Thank you, everyone, for all your help both with the piles and the spd!

I've been using anusol because it shrinks them a bit and stops them hurting too much. But I got back from camping yesterday and hadn't had any to take with me and they grew bigger again! Ouch. Have run out now and my midwife is on holiday so I'll have to buy some more.

I am embarrassed of them being seen, but I was examined on thurs and I just got on with it. What pees me off is, its really hard for me to properly clean myself there, because of them, and I don't want to look like someone who doesn't use bog roll often enough!

I will need to ask my midwife about these things you lot have brought up, and see what she can help me with. All I was told was that the only cure is childbirth, blah blah blah, well I realise that but all I wanted was some help til then. It was my mum who came over with the anusol!

Try not to worry. I've been told if you don't get piles (either before or after giving birth) your one of the lucky ones.
I had them in my first pregnancy and agree that the actual labour was fine it was after that they really started to be painful. If you can carry on using the creams now and continue with them after too as the pushing can make them bigger.

forgot to say... i used those moist toliet tissues too leading up to the birth and for a good few weeks after... that might help a bit with feeling nice and fresh.. try the ice packs though - it's a big relief x x

Last edited:
I suffer with them too and had a natural birth with my first and I have got them again this time. I took a photo too to see what they were like TMI sorry they were worse than I thought. LOL. I wouldn't worry about them in birth as you'll be too busy trying to get the baby out and I can't imagine they will have much effect on you giving birth either. I use Anusol, or Prep H and use the cream and pessaries. Also the loo wipes with Aloe Vera helped as well. That was just fluke though how I found that out. They will go after the baby is born I should imagine although if you get them they will never go properly. I really wouldn't worry hun. Just use the cream and pessaries just to make it a bit more comfortable and I promise you won't be thinking about them when you're in labour! Also i find they shrink in the bath so have you thought of a water birth too as that may help shrink them as the temp of the water is pretty warm and may help? xxxxx

I avoided a stretch & sweep when pregnant with my first as I didn't want anyone touching near them. I had piles this time earlier in my pregnancy & was given Proctosedyl which was nowhere near as good as Xyloproct. Ask for a prescribed cream & keep it in the fridge! I also used Germaloids toilet wipes kept in the fridge as they're not harsh like loo roll & help ease the swelling. My arse was incredibly sore first time around, I couldn't sit or walk properly, but again like everyone else has said - I didn't feel them during labour & birth. I know how it feels & totally sympathise with you. Get some Xyloproct (think that's how it's spelt) it's ok to use in Tri 3 & really is good stuff. I have all my piles stuff in the fridge ready for in case of emergency, as I'm on iron tablets which are known to cause constipation, which causes piles & there is no way I'm getting in the state I was whilst expecting my first baby. Hope they're shrinking soon hun x

Sunnyb xxx

Cheers again, everyone.

I'm on iron tablets too :( I cocked up and got the anusol ointment yesterday which is slimy in a greasy way, so today I got the cream. I will ask my doc for a huge script as it looks like I have to see him anyway to get Piriton.

I google-imaged, a few weeks ago, and I've not got it like some people get it - I feel for those people. But it's damned bad enough for me. Never had them before, and not with any previous pregnancy, so hopefully I'll not get them again after the birth. I don't tend to get probs with constipation either, due to my prob with eating things that don't make my tummy go icky!

Cheers again, will see what I can do.

ahw hope they don't give you too much more grief...

just thought.. they should do a signature ticker for all our ailments as we go along through pregnancy...

piles now as big as grapes....
feet swollen like balloons...
boobs about to explode...
chins multiplied by 3.... :lol: :lol: hee hee x x x

aw take care and hope they shrink shrink shrink soon x x x

Hey; I haven't suffered from Piles and feel so much for you who have, I understand they really hurt!!! Hugs xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back