Home Birth

pinkangel

Reaction score
Hi I'm 34 weeks pregnant, due in March (ignore the ticker its wrong!) and this is my first baby. I'm planning on having a home birth for many reasons. The only thing is your only allowed gas and air and I'm worried I will need more pain relief cos I've got a very low pain threshold. Has anyone had a home birth and coped ok on just gas and air? Or anyone else planning a home birth and worried about the same thing? Thanks for your answers :?

you can also have pethedine at home. I'm not sure if the midwives carry and are able to administer or if you will need to have your GP prescribe it in advance. Check to be on the safe side x

I'm working towards a home birth too. good luck x

Hiya thanks. Checked with the midwife at the ante natal class I went to on wed and with my midwife at my ante natal appointment yest. You can be given pethadine but if you are they call an ambulance (which will be on stand by) and you have t go straight into hospital as it can make the baby sleepy and distressed etc. and you can't proceed with the birth at home :( . Hoping being at home though I'll be that much more relaxed and the thought of havin to go to hospital I'll be able to cope without it, but I can't see that happenin! xxx

Hi pinkangel. I had my son at home last March, he was my first. I wasn't sure how I'd be with the pain as I'm a bit of a wuss but did the whole thing with no pain relief in the end (didn't like the gas & air). Try to think positive, bear in mind it WILL hurt but it's a constructive pain - it means baby is on his/her way! Try to focus on the end result.

I would recommend homebirth 100%, Austin was born at 2:36am and by 4:30am I was back in bed with OH with Austin next to me. It was really relaxed and it's lovely having two midwives all to yourself!

I personally didn't want pethidine as it crosses the placenta and can make baby drowsy, but it's a personal choice - as with all pain relief there are +s and -s.

Good luck, I really hope everything goes well for you :hug:

yikes i didnt realise that! ive not been to any antenatal classes yet although i may try and get to a drop in place once my maternity leave starts.

The community midwives havent wanted to discuss home birth with me so next chance is at 36 weeks. I shall be asking about this!!

they carry an antedote for the pethedine which the midwifes can administer :think: sounds a bit of a fob off to me?? just cos you have the pethidine shouldnt mean you should have to automatically transfer.

anyway i have a low pain threshold and i managed on gas and air- i did transfer in last time for meconium so didnt actually deliver at home but you do feel more relaxed in your own environment. my pain definately got worse once i got to the hospital. :(

I am booked in for a home birth. My midwives don't carry pethadine so it will be gas and air for me. I am worried about the pain as I have been through the birth before and last time I ended up having an epidural but this was for a number of reasons, I hadn't slept for 2 days, my baby was back to back and I was taking aaaaages to dilate so they put me on a drip to strengthen my contractions, and that made them really hurt. Plus they needed me to sleep as I was exhausted. So I am a wee bit scared that I won't be able to deal with the pain. However at the hospital I was just strapped to a monitor and had to stay on my back which I feel made the pain worse. Look into active birthing techniques, have you thought about a TENS machine also, mine really helped me through the early stages. And gas and air is great :) Also there is also water as pain relief, which ismeant to be very effective. I found that going with the contractions was the best thing, remembering that each one was one closer to meeting your baby.

Thanks. I'd never thoght of a gaving a home birth until I went to the ante natal classes (I always assumed you couldn't have one for your first baby). The midwife who led the class actually preferred home birth and tried to encourage everyone at the class (all first time mums) to consider it. My midwife when I mentioned it yet also seemed to have the same opinion. Unless there are any likely complications ie health/breech baby or you are overdue anyone is entitled to a home birth.

I've been so scared bout the labour ever since I've been pregnant, so to be at home relaxed and not sat in a bed in hospital for hours which would make me feel ill seems a better option. Hospital s only 10 mins away and she said an ambulance will be on stand by and If I change my mind I can ask to go in at any time. My sister in law (only 17) had her baby on xmas day (she was the only one on the whole maternity ward) and a midwife just come in every few hours so I prefer that with a home birth I will have 2 midwifes to myself which will make me feel more at ease and a bit safer and like I have more of a clue whats happenin.

Like u said after havin the baby gettin in to bed with my new baby and my husband will be such a nice feelin :D xxx

I'm opting for a home birth with my first :)

My MW said to get a birthpool in as they are great for pain relief and a more gentle way to actually give birth in for LO. They slowly come up to the surface and carry on breathing etc via the placenta until then.

She said to not bother hiring one as this site Birthpool sells good ones. Apparently hiring them for 4 weeks works out a lot more. And you need them to cover that period of time as you cannot predict when you will go into labour. Have a look into your options.

I'm only planning on gas and air with the birthpool now. I feel happier that I'll be able to move around, get into all kinds of positions to help pain pass also.

I'm reading on how to get LO into a good position for labour and so on also. First time births can be slower, but my MW assures me there is not reason to worry that it takes longer so long as LO and Mum are doing ok.

pinkangel said:
I've been so scared bout the labour ever since I've been pregnant, so to be at home relaxed and not sat in a bed in hospital for hours which would make me feel ill seems a better option. Hospital s only 10 mins away and she said an ambulance will be on stand by and If I change my mind I can ask to go in at any time. My sister in law (only 17) had her baby on xmas day (she was the only one on the whole maternity ward) and a midwife just come in every few hours so I prefer that with a home birth I will have 2 midwifes to myself which will make me feel more at ease and a bit safer and like I have more of a clue whats happenin.

:hug: :hug:

I'm similar to you about the labour. The pain doesn't bother me overly but the thought of too much medical intervention does. Hence opting for a home birth. I like the idea of being at home as I personally feel I'll be able to relax more, do what I want in a place I am happy in and have my hubby with me the whole time. For me a lot of it is mind over matter. Being in a hospital would worry me more. I'd be wary of them wanting to speed things up, use instruments and so on.

I've done lots of reading, discussed at length with my MW and feel that provided I've had a normal pregnancy and my 34 scan shows LO to be a decent size etc, then having a home birth where LO takes as long as s/he takes is for me. Yes I may be tired, yes it will hurt, but I am happy with my choice. Its an informed one.

I plan on doing what I can to encourage LO into a good birthing position and so on also. Plus with a birth pool I'll have a great form of pain relief right there.

I think its great you are planning a homebirth. Its your personal choice and I think you've settled on the right choice for you by the sounds of it.

Gas and air is all you need....and a birth pool and the support....A homeopathic birthing kit from Ainsworth or helios i recommend too....
And if you can't cope with just that then you can just transfer to hospital.

But i think in being confident you want a homebirth then you are half way there with coping...or you wouldn't have made that decision

Baby number 5 due anytime......fourth homebirth
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

am so jealous that all yourmidwives seem to be sopro homebirth. I feellike I am putting mine out and when talking about the birth, instead of talking about the actualprocess I just got read a list of reasons I can't have one, nor can I have a waterbirth as o-one is trained. :(

pinkangel said:
I've been so scared bout the labour ever since I've been pregnant, so to be at home relaxed and not sat in a bed in hospital for hours which would make me feel ill seems a better option.
Like u said after havin the baby gettin in to bed with my new baby and my husband will be such a nice feelin :D xxx

thats exactly what i feel, i think i can cope with pain on my own territory...it cant be worse than the pain of using a Silk-Epil epilator..surely :lol: :lol: :lol:

beanie said:
am so jealous that all yourmidwives seem to be sopro homebirth. I feellike I am putting mine out and when talking about the birth, instead of talking about the actualprocess I just got read a list of reasons I can't have one, nor can I have a waterbirth as o-one is trained. :(

Awwwww :hug: :hug: :hug:

Can you not look at a birthpool even if you get out of it to actually deliver your LO?

Its a shame your area don't seem to be very supportive of home birthing. Things are improving but not as quickly as many of us would like for our own births.

Anytime you want to chat and hear some positives about your choice of homebirth feel free to drop me a PM and I can give you my MSN addy if you'd like also. Happy to offer support :)

Aw Beanie thats actually quite unfair. Labour is gonna be hard enough without no been able to have the kind of birth you'd really like. Unless there is a medical reason no one can be refused a home birth. Hope you stick to your guns and demand the type of birth you'd like.

Do they have a birth pool available if you have a hospital birth? We only live in a small town but our local hospital has one pool available and its on a first come first served basis. My sister had a water birth with her first daughter last year, luckily she was the first there. Then 7 other women arrived in labour so they were understaffed so my sisters husband helped deliver the baby. Don't see how it requires that much training that midwives in your area can't do them eh. This time round (she is due in 9 weeks) she wants a water birth again so has hired one for £35 from the midwives to have a home birth/water birth to ensure she definately can have a water birth. Our midwives try to encourage home births as it is more natural, I assumed every area would be the same. Good Luck xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back